FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Should I pay $100 for 8,700 miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/672965-should-i-pay-100-8-700-miles.html)

california09 Mar 19, 2007 12:07 pm

Should I pay $100 for 8,700 miles?

Hi all, I'm new to the US forum (normally am just browsing over in DL and SPG). I recently realized that all my old America West miles had disappeared. I called US and they said that in order to get my 8,700 miles back, I'd need to pay $100. I know that 8,700 miles isnt much, but I have a good number of SPG points that I can add at any time.

Doing some quick math, this purchase would equal under $0.02/mile - better than I'd get actually flying. They also said I could apply for a Visa card, but I think i already have enough cards floating around.

Is this a good deal (obviously, free would be better). Is there any other way to reactivate my miles? I'm flying this weekend from BOS to DCA, but they said that this flight would not reactivate my miles unless I was flying F (I'm not).

Thanks for the help!

Kendall Mar 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Short answer:
NO
Anyone with any ideas on how he can get his miles back? It seems a waste of $100 to me. BTW, for US, I'd readjust that $/miles calculation to $.01/mile.
Kendall

mlatuchie Mar 19, 2007 1:09 pm

the recent WSJ report claims that US is the 2nd worst airline for mileage redeeming - so make sure you're ready to deal with low award availability.

tommyleo Mar 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mlatuchie (Post 7430630)
the recent WSJ report claims that US is the 2nd worst airline for mileage redeeming - so make sure you're ready to deal with low award availability.

I'm not doubting the stats, but my friend just booked 5 Mileage Saver RT tix to Bermuda for himself, his wife, and their three kids (all five are flying together). Granted, they're flying on Wednesdays. But he still got a sweet deal.

Heinrich Mar 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Hmm, I bet $100 for 8700 miles on a mileage run would get a lot of takers and be a hot excited topic.

california09 Mar 20, 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Heinrich (Post 7438710)
Hmm, I bet $100 for 8700 miles on a mileage run would get a lot of takers and be a hot excited topic.

Obviously, it stinks because I acutally earned these miles and would like to get them back for free - any ideas? But I'm thinking this is the best 'deal' I'll get in terms of getting 8K miles.

Kendall, can I ask why you said no?

jbryan77 Mar 20, 2007 4:21 pm

See if they will give you the miles back if you open a credit card with them. I have heard of this being offered before with other airlines. If so, after your first purchase you get 20K so you would almost have enough for a Caribbean award ticket.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 20, 2007 4:24 pm

I would try for a free "get back", or just let them go. I have 50k+ of US Air miles, and every time I've tried to use them, they were worthless. I hold out hope, however, and some day a saver award will pop up. :)

Kendall Mar 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by california09 (Post 7438761)
Obviously, it stinks because I acutally earned these miles and would like to get them back for free - any ideas? But I'm thinking this is the best 'deal' I'll get in terms of getting 8K miles.

Kendall, can I ask why you said no?

Depends on how much you value your time and how many hoops you're willing to jump through.
I said no based on the amount of time you'll waste trying to get your miles back, and how much those miles are actually worth. As DM miles can be difficult to book, and based on the product that you'll likely be redeeming on, I would argue that they're likely worth less than the commonly accepted average .03/mile.
Some people value DM miles more than others, but I'd say since you've already earned them, there's easier ways to earn more without dropping $100. Don't forget, 8,700 doesn't get you anything.
For example: If you apply for the US BA card, they give you 25,000 miles on your first purchase. You have to pay the annual fee($90?), but at least you're getting a free airline ticket out of it. If you can find a "Saver Award".
Kendall