Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Standby Rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Unconfirmed standby Q

Is unconfirmed standby still free? If I get to the airport early and am willing to wait until a few minutes before the cabin door shuts, do I still have to pay? TIA.

LAX
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:46 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
If there are available seats then there is no free standby. If the plane is full then you can standby for free. Even if you are just standing there, and there are seats, they wont move you up with out the fee (unless of some known waiver) and employees, pass travelers will be loaded onto the flight.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:18 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by cwe84
If there are available seats then there is no free standby. If the plane is full then you can standby for free. Even if you are just standing there, and there are seats, they wont move you up with out the fee (unless of some known waiver) and employees, pass travelers will be loaded onto the flight.
Thanks, but I don't get the part where one can standby for free on a full flight, but not an empty flight. If the flight is full, one can technically still standby on it, but it's unlikely the standby will clear. However, in order for the standby to clear, it must become not full and hence there will be a fee to move to that flight if I understand you correctly. Bottom line is that there is no free standby full flight or not, right? I guess I will just hang out in the lounge longer.

LAX
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
If the plane is "booked full", you can standby for free. Then if there are no-show or no-check-in's, your name will be called. Don't forget that the priority for standby's is based on status.

HTSC
Old May 11, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Code Share with UA

Can I "move up" to a code share flight operated by UA with a US flight number?

On Sunday 5/15/11, I am currently booked EWR-PHL-DEN. There is a UA operated N/S EWR-DEN that gets into DEN much earlier. The UA operated flight has a US flight #. I want to report to the US check-in counter, and "Move Up" to the UA operated flight. Will US allow this? I see the term "US operated flight" on the US site describing the Move Up Program, which I assume excludes codeshares. Has anyone tried to move up to a UA code share?
Old May 11, 2011, 9:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Can I "move up" to a code share flight operated by UA with a US flight number?

On Sunday 5/15/11, I am currently booked EWR-PHL-DEN. There is a UA operated N/S EWR-DEN that gets into DEN much earlier. The UA operated flight has a US flight #. I want to report to the US check-in counter, and "Move Up" to the UA operated flight. Will US allow this? I see the term "US operated flight" on the US site describing the Move Up Program, which I assume excludes codeshares. Has anyone tried to move up to a UA code share?
No. See below, emphasis mine.

US-MoveUpRules

Move up program
We allow you to 'move up' to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). You can only make day-of-departure changes at the airport (and not by calling Reservations).

If there is an open seat available on any earlier US Airways operated flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $50 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $150 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is not an open seat on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Thanks, aztimm, I saw that on the US Air site (as I indicated in my post). Do you (or anyone else) have any real world experience with trying to "move up" to a UA operated flight?
Old May 16, 2011, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is the fare basis of your current ticket? Is it changeable? If so, you can simply call and make the change (space avail). If not, you can standby at the airport and pay a $25 fee (presuming that you are non-elite). As noted above, if the flight for which you are standing by is booked full, you can standby for free in case there are noshows for whatever reason. As to UG, it's a new process. You clear into Y and then are upgraded to F if there is space based on priority. Chances of UG on CLT-LAS are slim to nill for Silver so I wouldn't let that be the determining factor if you want more time in LAS.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Does *G status reduce or eliminate the "Move Up" fee?

(I ask based on Often1's above comment about "presuming that you are non-elite")

Also Often1 say $25 for the fee, but aztimm's quote from the online rules says $50. I assume the $50 is correct, correct?

Last edited by jmd001; Jun 15, 2011 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jmd001
Does *G status reduce or eliminate the "Move Up" fee?

(I ask based on Often1's above comment about "presuming that you are non-elite")

Also Often1 say $25 for the fee, but aztimm's quote from the online rules says $50. I assume the $50 is correct, correct?
Depends on the agent.

YMMV.

If you aren't constrained by time, just go find another person willing to waive the fee.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
...The info on it says that it's done "at the airport" but doesn't specify if it's feasible at the originating airport.

That's exactly my question. Family members have US flights A-B, B-C, C-D. There's a direct B-D flight they'd like to get on. Can they ask about standby at (A), or does it need to be at the airport the flight they'd like to get on departs from (B)?

Departure at (B) is about 3 hrs after departure at (A). Both B-C, and B-D, depart around the same time, and with less than a 1hr connection, really no time to go over and check the B-D nonstop, and still make it back to their original B-C flight. Once they get to B, they pretty much need to know what gate they are going to.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:05 pm

I have been able to move up my connecting flight at the origin city. Should be no problem.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PhxMama
There is NO standby for a later flight. The only chance you would have is the 2 hr rule. If you checkin within 2 hrs of originally sched flight they will put you on the next avail flight-no fees-sb. If you arrive later than you will pay any change fees and additional fare for the new flight. Earlier flights are as posted above.
Is this still true? Mrs. dwcatty is Silver, we are flying on the same reservation next week and would like to get one of the two later flights than what we booked in June. We could easily go to the airport, check in and leave to a nearby restaurant for a couple of hours just to have more time with the kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.