Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Standby Rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Can I standby and reroute? Here is my situation, i'm a UA 1P * Gold.

Flying 430pm ish SCE - PHL - CLT - MIA. I would like to standby for the earlier flight at SCE. Getting in to PHL earlier means that there is a direct flight from PHL - MIA. Will they let me do this? And how much is this going to cost me? As I understand, there is no free standby at the gate?
I do reroutes all the time. If there is direct flight they would put me on. Sometimes I would even take detour if it gets me there earlier and I want to be there earlier. Never had an issue.

In fact in case of IRROPS they even rerouted me (with my approval) so they would put me in FC. Initially was SJC-PHX-CLT, however PHX-CLT was canceled and next flight (redeye) didn't have FC left. So agent asked me if I want to do PHX-LAX-CLT all in FC (redeye as well) and I said yes.

I've done BOS-CLT and sometimes earlier flight on BOS-LGA-CLT or BOS-DCA-CLT w/o problems. Once I even had evening BOS-LGA-CLT and took first leg BOS-LGA in the morning and kept LGA-CLT in the evening w/o a problem.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
Is the standby policy still the same? I have a flight in a couple of weeks that leaves late in the day but I'd love to stand by earlier. I'm UA 2p (premier) if that helps maybe waive the fee.....Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Is the standby policy still the same? I have a flight in a couple of weeks that leaves late in the day but I'd love to stand by earlier. I'm UA 2p (premier) if that helps maybe waive the fee.....Thanks!
I'm pretty sure they will charge you $50 unless you are a US elite. You might be able to charm them into doing it for free, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Actually, there are two policies in play here:

1. One can stand by for free if there are no seats available on the earlier flight in question.

2. One can move up to a confirmed seat on an earlier flight for $50 if a seat is available. US elites are exempt from the fee.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:15 pm

Apolgies for the noob question, but how about for a US Elite flying on a codeshare flight operated by UA? For example, ORD-LGA.

If the codeshare is operated by UA, are US agents allowed to perform re-routes or standbys?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ramblers63
Apolgies for the noob question, but how about for a US Elite flying on a codeshare flight operated by UA? For example, ORD-LGA.

If the codeshare is operated by UA, are US agents allowed to perform re-routes or standbys?
Which airline issued the ticket- US or UA?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Which airline issued the ticket- US or UA?
It hasn't been purchased yet, but let's say it's UA flight 7733 at 7:30pm from ORD to LGA (UA metal, so I assume UA issues the ticket), purchased on usairways.com

Could a US Elite attempt to go to the airport earlier in the day and have US put them on standby for, example, ORD-PHL-LGA (US metal) that arrives to LGA earlier than the original purchased flight?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am brand, squeaky clean new to US, mostly WN, and have one more quick question. I have a late 8 pm tomorrow night and would like to Stand By for a morning flight. There are seats available now and I can check again before going to the airport. As I understand the process, if there is a seat available, I get it after parting with $50. I can only do this at the airport. What happens if I get there and the flight is sold out? Do I end up waiting until 8 at the airport since I will have dropped off the rental car? Is there some magic number of seats that is safe? Right now, the night before, there are at least 10 open seats on the flight I want.

Thanks for your help!

Ink
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: None
Assuming non-stop flights for both options, the more seats open the better your chances of getting the MoveUp. As always, nothing is guaranteed - an earlier flight or even the flight you want to MoveUp to may cancel and you could be stuck waiting at the airport all day.

Jim
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
There are eight flights from CLT to BNA, all NS, six leaving before mine. All six show seats available, but a couple have just two or three. The earlier flights have the most open capacity. I might as well be waiting at the airport as the hotel.

Thanks!

Ink
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
similar question

I am trying to get out earlier on a flight to west coast. If I go online six of the 13 connecting flights have seats for sale on US as well as on seat counter. WHen I calledd US AIR to check availability they said only one flight has seats. Which is correct, the usair web site still selling tickets or seatcounter or the man in Manila, Beirut or wherever that said only 1 flight has seats??????????

Is it if any seat in coach is there, you can pay the 50 to go early or is it fare class dependent.
Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by barney44
Is it if any seat in coach is there, you can pay the 50 to go early or is it fare class dependent.
Thanks.
It doesn't depend on fare class - it's $50 regardless.

Keep in mind that trying to change to flights with a different connecting point presents problems that using the same connecting point doesn't. With a different connecting point, the agent has to be able to confirm both segments for you to change to an earlier flight. With the same connecting point, the worst case is you end up on the same 2nd segment you're already ticketed for.

Give me your departure and destination and I'll check availability on the employee site. The seat maps on the US site doesn't show seats as taken for anyone that doesn't pick a seat when they book their flight.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:31 am

Thanks for the help

I am on 1469 connecting to 430 tomorrow the 17th.(BOS-LAS) Looks like 1801 to 307 is a viable option. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It doesn't depend on fare class - it's $50 regardless.

Keep in mind that trying to change to flights with a different connecting point presents problems that using the same connecting point doesn't. With a different connecting point, the agent has to be able to confirm both segments for you to change to an earlier flight. With the same connecting point, the worst case is you end up on the same 2nd segment you're already ticketed for.

Give me your departure and destination and I'll check availability on the employee site. The seat maps on the US site doesn't show seats as taken for anyone that doesn't pick a seat when they book their flight.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:40 am

I don't know why everyone is leaving BOS tomorrow, but every connection to LAS is showing zero seats available on the 1st segment. Every flight from BOS to PHX, PHL, and CLT are full.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:56 am

THANKS BB

Local schools start vacation week.....As an aside, If I fly standby to get out of Boston to get to CLT..PHL PHX or on the Shuttle to LGA or DCA and there is a seat on the second leg, would the Gate Agent be able to confirm the second leg when and if my standby came through, obviously upon payment of 50.00 for the second leg as that would be confirmed as opposed to standby.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I don't know why everyone is leaving BOS tomorrow, but every connection to LAS is showing zero seats available on the 1st segment. Every flight from BOS to PHX, PHL, and CLT are full.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.