Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
US Airways CEO is DUI suspect

US Airways CEO is DUI suspect
By Nick Martin, Tribune
February 8, 2007

Just hours after losing a $10 billion bid to take over Delta Air Lines last week, US Airways’ top executive Doug Parker was arrested in Scottsdale on suspicion of drunken driving.

The CEO of the Tempe-based airline was clocked in his black BMW at 65 mph — 20 miles faster than the posted speed limit — on Jan. 31 at Pima Road just south of Bell Road, according to a police report.

Parker told the officer who pulled him over that he was coming from the Bird’s Nest, a nightly party at the FBR Open golf tournament, where he told police he downed three beers in two hours, according to the report. Two passengers were with him.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-83778
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a really unfortunate incident. No doubt the Delta crowd will have a field day with it -- painting him as some sort of irresponsible drunk. From what I know of Doug Parker, that simply is not true. I think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:18 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by iahphx
From what I know of Doug Parker, that simply is not true. I think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'd say driving 20mph over the limit in front of a cop after drinking does indeed qualify as "wrong place at the wrong time."

One would think, with what he makes in a year and the nature of his job that he might consider a car service in situations like these. I do, and I don't make what Parker brings down.....
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yeah, he just happened to be speeding after drinking some beers. That is definitely being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
At this point it sounds like he is only guilty of speeding. If his BAC comes back over 0.08%, then he is guilty of DUI.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by gardener
At this point it sounds like he is only guilty of speeding. If his BAC comes back over 0.08%, then he is guilty of DUI.
He's not guilty of anything yet.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:25 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
How can one get drunk after being serverd half minis?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
One would think, with what he makes in a year and the nature of his job that he might consider a car service in situations like these. I do, and I don't make what Parker brings down.....
True, if he was really drunk, he shouldn't have driven. But there really isn't a "car service" mentality out there. You just stay sober to drive. And 20 miles over a 45 mph speed limit there would be more than possible, especially at night.

I do agree that a CEO -- or any well known person, for that matter -- needs to be even more careful than your average citizen. This will prove very, very embarrassing to Parker and USAirways, and his critics will have a field day with it for years to come. Just look at the "Gordon Gecko" crap he took from Delta, even though that was so very far from the truth.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
One would think, with what he makes in a year and the nature of his job that he might consider a car service in situations like these.
He was creating "Cost synergies" driving his own car instead of calling another...see where it gets him
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: UA, AA
Did he drink his beer out of a real glass?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Did he drink his beer out of a real glass?
LOL!

This could explain some of the recent decisions they have made (i.e. A320 mess).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wow, right on the main page of our local news site:
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...-dui09-ON.html

This is going to be some major bad press for him and the company locally, not mentioning outside of this area.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Agree

This is a really unfortunate incident. No doubt the Delta crowd will have a field day with it -- painting him as some sort of irresponsible drunk. From what I know of Doug Parker, that simply is not true. I think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I totally agree with iahphx. Doug is a great guy.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The CEO of the Tempe-based airline was clocked in his black BMW at 65 mph — 20 miles faster than the posted speed limit — on Jan. 31 at Pima Road just south of Bell Road, according to a police report.
I'm surprised he wasn't pulled over for driving too slowly... 65 mph on Pima Rd is slow by north Scottsdale standards.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:34 am

Which package did Dougie have at the Birds nest?

General Admission tickets available through TicketMaster for just $20.

.............................................or

Crown Royal VIP Tickets (includes food and drink) available for $150.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.