Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Us Airways and My Big BUTT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Us Airways and My Big BUTT

Hello, I am flying in May 2007 and I was horrifed at the clip I saw on TV about people being forced to buy a 2nd seat at the last minute at the ticket counters. I am Fat, I know it and I am trying to do something about it, I am just wondering how fat is too fat to fly????? I am hoping someone can let me know how BIG is too BIG. Any help or comments would be appreciated, and please don't tell me to starve until MAY, I mean I know I am fat and it's my fault but I am lookiong for mature answers here.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Us Airways

This is the carrier we are flying with, if anyone knows their policys THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:09 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I guess the question you need to ask is "would you want to be the person seated next to you?"

Everyones weight is distributed differently so theres no set answer to how fat is too fat.

Have you flown recently? Did you fit in the seat then? Coach seats are between 17 and 18 inches wide. If you can't fit into one without encroaching into the space of the passenger seated next to you, then consider buying two coach seats.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ma0626
This is the carrier we are flying with, if anyone knows their policys THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
With the exception of Southwest, I'm not aware of any airline that has a fixed policy. The general approach is to rely on the goodwill of the wide passenger (often called a POS, "passenger of size," but that tends to generate snide comments from those who think the letters stand for something else) and of those seated next to him/her to take care of things. As someone who has sat next to POS more than once and survived to tell the tale, I'd suggest this guideline: if you have to raise the armrest to fit, get two seats (or upgrade). If you don't, you're probably OK.

You might find more specific answers in the US forum, since you don't really care what any other airline does.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:28 am
Original Poster

I've flown many times before, and I am flying with my husband and another couple, so my being a POS won't affect anyone seated next to me, so I guess I wil be allright. Thanks for not slamming me, I am down 38#'s and still going so hopefully by the time I fly I won't be as much of a POS a I am now, hehe. Have a really GREAT DAY! Where is the US Air forum, I am new to this...thnks
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:48 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, ma0626. I am moving this over to the U.S. Forum. You will automatically be directed there when you click on this thread.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
-Do you find it impossible to fit in a coach seat with the armrest down?
-Does your body infringe upon the personal space of the person next to you?
-Do you need a seat belt extension, or two?

If you answered yes to two out of three of these then I would say you're too obese.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: US Silver
There was a thread sometime last year about this, which may have been deleted (or perhaps just locked). USair stated (to flight attendants at any rate) is if a passenger asks for a seat belt extension, they are to look at them and decide if they need to purchase another seat. As you can imagine not many FA's are particularly happy to do that. Also, that POS (passengers of size) should not be seated in an exit row. For your own comfort, and that of people around you I would try to arrange your flights so that you are not on one of those flights that are normally fully booked (e.g. not from 7-9am and 4-7pm). Also look at the type of plane you are flying on: if you are flying with another person, look for flights that have 2 seat together configurations - that way you're only impinging on your partner.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:42 pm

I've flown many times before, and I am flying with my husband and another couple, so my being a POS won't affect anyone seated next to me, so I guess I wil be allright. Thanks for not slamming me, I am down 38#'s and still going so hopefully by the time I fly I won't be as much of a POS a I am now, hehe. Have a really GREAT DAY! Where is the US Air forum, I am new to this...thnks
Congratulations on the 38 lbs. As a prior poster suggested, aircraft with 2 seats together would limit any effect on others. On the US website, you can look at the seating chart for each flight. Also, seatguru.com is a good resource for seating for each type of aircraft and each airline. Good luck!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:41 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Hello, I am flying in May 2007 and I was horrifed at the clip I saw on TV about people being forced to buy a 2nd seat at the last minute at the ticket counters. I am Fat, I know it and I am trying to do something about it, I am just wondering how fat is too fat to fly????? I am hoping someone can let me know how BIG is too BIG. Any help or comments would be appreciated, and please don't tell me to starve until MAY, I mean I know I am fat and it's my fault but I am lookiong for mature answers here.
First of all, i admire you for being honest.

Now...US Airways recently adopted the SWA policy. A f/a could conceivably tell the agent to remove you and buy another ticket if you overtake the person(s) next to you. Now I can tell you that we have alot of aging f/a's that are heavy, so your chances of being confronted are small.

May I suggest that in the future you go ahead and buy two tickets. This will eliminate any problems, fights or embarrassment to you...plus all the rude stares. Compare two seat with a f/c seat price.

I know it sounds like you are being punished, but you deserve a comfortable flight as well, free from hassles and judgement. THAT alone is worth the money.

Happy flying!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: US Silver
Originally Posted by flight62
May I suggest that in the future you go ahead and buy two tickets. This will eliminate any problems, fights or embarrassment to you...plus all the rude stares.

Happy flying!
I would agree, except if you take this route, you should be aware that on a fully booked flight you may well have to explain over and over again that you have PAID for this extra seat, so no they can't wedge another passenger in.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:10 pm

The weird thing is that when you reserve two seats, they won't guarantee that the seats will be together.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Bobster
The weird thing is that when you reserve two seats, they won't guarantee that the seats will be together.
And most importantly, you only get miles for one seat.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk. That's awesome that you are trying to lose weight and get healthy. Good for you. Just don't give up. Have you flown on this airline before without any hassles? Do you need an extender?

What if you call the airline and ask them if they have a weight guideline that you can go by. That way you will know for sure.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
If you haven't flown in a while, maybe think about other places with similar seats sizes. If you have been to a movie or a baseball game or some other place with similar size seats, that should give you an idea about an airplane seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.