Silver challenge mileage question...

Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Question Silver challenge mileage question...

Ok, so I just signed up for the Silver challenge, and realized that I should easily make silver....and probably gold within 3 months. My question is whether United flights (obviously using my USAir Div. number) I have booked will count toward my Silver challenge segments/miles.

I really hope so....but am not sure....

And, one other quick question, since I'm now Silver member of Alliance, that doesn't really give me anything....so I won't get upgrades on United flights, right?

Thanks for your help!!!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
1. For the challenge, only US metal counts.

2. No US preferred member can get auto upgrades on UA; we have to buy 500 milers. You get a 25% flight bonus and the shot of upgrading on US flights.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by moulder3
Ok, so I just signed up for the Silver challenge, and realized that I should easily make silver...
How'd you get it? I've called 3x trying to get it for my dad...we both did just a 6 seg trip to Denver and we are going to Aspen next week...I really wanted to get him signed up.
I keep getting told that no challenges are being offered currently.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
How'd you get it? I've called 3x trying to get it for my dad...we both did just a 6 seg trip to Denver and we are going to Aspen next week...I really wanted to get him signed up.

Ask for a supervisor.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ask for the "Elite Trial"
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
Good luck flying into ASE - heard upwards of 80% of the daily flights in there have been cancelled of late!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by mlatuchie
Good luck flying into ASE - heard upwards of 80% of the daily flights in there have been cancelled of late!
Fairly typical I'm afraid...
been times when we can see where we are going (about 2 miles from the airport)but the airport itself is closed so we turn around and fly to Denver and I have to drive 4 hours to where I just was.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
I just asked for a Elite Challange today and got it no problem. I did have a flurry of flights booked, so a pattern was visible to the agent. Sad thing is from the information I pruned from here, I was telling her details.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I just called and asked for the "silver challenge." I made sure I was calling the dividend miles people though (and not central reservations) so maybe that helped...? She knew was I was talking about right away
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
I called regarding the Elite Trial in early December and was convinved by the agent I spoke with to wait until February of 2007 to begin. He told me that if I reached any level during the trial during the 3 month window (would have been in early February) my staus would stop on 2/28 - meaning I would lose my status on 2/28 regardless of the level I achieved durin gthe trial.

I'm assuming with the flurry of posts regarding signing up for these trials that the agent I spoke with was incorrect?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mlatuchie
I called regarding the Elite Trial in early December and was convinved by the agent I spoke with to wait until February of 2007 to begin. He told me that if I reached any level during the trial during the 3 month window (would have been in early February) my staus would stop on 2/28 - meaning I would lose my status on 2/28 regardless of the level I achieved durin gthe trial.

I'm assuming with the flurry of posts regarding signing up for these trials that the agent I spoke with was incorrect?
There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about this. I wanted to sign up last december, but based on posts here and a conversation with a US rep I was told essentially the same thing... any status I gained through the program would expire on 2/28/07. Recently, though, there was a post by someone who said that they signed up last November and the letter they got states that their status will be good through 2/28/08.

In any case, I had some flights coming up, so I signed up last week and my status will be good through 2/28/08. It seems that it's pretty safe to sign up at this point.

Brett
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by moulder3
I just called and asked for the "silver challenge." I made sure I was calling the dividend miles people though (and not central reservations) so maybe that helped...? She knew was I was talking about right away

I signed myself and my wife up for this program last week with great difficulty. I called during a busy time on Friday afternoon (which was my first mistake) and after being put on hold for 30 minutes I finally got an agent. I told them I wanted to sign up for the elite trial and she said "No problem... hang on for a minute". I then got cut off. I called back and after another 30 minutes on hold I spoke with someone who said that there was no such program. I asked to be transfered to a supervisor. She said she'd put me on hold while she found one. After 10 more minutes on hold she came back and said "I'll transfer you now" and again I got cut off. I called back and after another 30 minutes on hold I got a woman who said that she had heard of the program, but that it was discontinued last November and is no longer available. At this point I had been trying for about 2 hours and had other things to do, so I thanked her and gave up for the time being.

A few hours later I figured I'd try again, so I called back and put in my DM number and was surprised when the automated system said it was transfereing me to the silver preferred desk. After the woman answered she confirmed that I was silver and that I was in the elite trial program. I have no idea who actually signed me up, but somehow I got in.

I didn't have quite so much trouble getting my wife signed up, but the rep I got hadn't heard of the program. He was nice enough to take about 5 or 10 minutes researching it (including asking me how to spell 'trial') and eventually found it and signed my wife up.

I think the trick is to be persistant and eventually you'll get someone who knows what you're talking about.

Brett
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by BrettS
There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about this. I wanted to sign up last december, but based on posts here and a conversation with a US rep I was told essentially the same thing... any status I gained through the program would expire on 2/28/07. Recently, though, there was a post by someone who said that they signed up last November and the letter they got states that their status will be good through 2/28/08.

Brett
Yes, I'm the person with said letter. I called around Thanksgiving and asked for the challenge, they gave it to me, and I received the package shortly after. It said I had until 2/24/07 to reach the different levels (had segments + mileage for silver, gold, plat), and it says that any status reached would go through 2/28/08. I'd be happy to scan it in and post if that would help.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: US Gold
I signed up for this back in November and had no problem getting into the trial program. However when I signed up I never knew that United flights didn't count. I flew 4 united flights right away and just flew 4 segments on US metal. I am guessing that they will not give me the status but I guess it can't hurt to call. I have had about a 50% luck on the upgrades
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by andrik48
I signed up for this back in November and had no problem getting into the trial program. However when I signed up I never knew that United flights didn't count. I flew 4 united flights right away and just flew 4 segments on US metal. I am guessing that they will not give me the status but I guess it can't hurt to call. I have had about a 50% luck on the upgrades
You still have some time left, maybe time for a quick segment run? Some cheap stuff out of PHL and LGA these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.