Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Flight from DCA to PHX – Kudos to the great HP staff!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, *A Gold, Intercontinental Plat. Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interesting Flight from DCA to PHX – Kudos to the great HP staff!

Today – 21 December – I was on Flight #656 from DCA to PHX. It was an HP 757 (N914AW – The Nevada/Las Vegas painted 757). Got to the gate, the arriving flight/up-flight, HP 44, was delayed by approx. 20/30 minutes – did not pull into gate 38 at DCA until 4:15/4:20 PM. The original scheduled departure time was 4:38 PM.

They were doing a quick turn on the aircraft when the GA was notified that they had broken seats in Row 8 – I think D/E/F. (Just looked at SeatGuru – I don’t think they have the configuration correct for the HP 757. There was no lavatory between Row’s 7-10.)

They called maintenance, who notified the GA that it would take 30-45 minutes to fix the problem. We were all told it was an exit row seat (not sure it was – it was in front of the exit row). Many people on our flight were making short connections in PHX – and the GA was trying to figure out how to solve this issue, as most flights are sold out for the next few days.

He knew that a lot of people were making close connections, thus, he helped move me from Row 27 to Row 11 – as well as other passengers making close connections. The flight was oversold, so he called up other passengers who were not making connections and asked them nicely if they would switch in order to help those passengers making connections. This was voluntary, but all the passengers had no problems switching, and were very understanding of the situation.

While doing this, he decided to start boarding the back of the airplane – as we were boarding through the middle door – while maintenance worked on Row 8. Genius idea! Kudos to the GA for helping solve two issues while on a maintenance delay. I did give him an A&B certificate for all of this extra effort! He really did go above and beyond.

While boarding, they figured out that they would not be able to fix those three seats, and 8 D/E/F would have to go out empty (and the flight was oversold). They then started doing general boarding for all rows – but the majority of the back of the plane was already filled up, thanks to the GA's thinking.

This is where it gets a little interesting…I don’t know the entire story – this is what I saw though…They had to deny boarding obviously, due to these three seats having to go vacant. They did ask some folks to leave the aircraft, and they were not seen again! Then, a passenger – a US CP (he said) – was in Row 8. He left his bag on the plane, and went back up to the counter, after being told by the FA. The FA then did a seat count, and they had one more empty seat available – or so they thought! That passenger, who was suppose to sit in Row 8, returned to the aircraft with a new seat assignment, to find out that his new seat assignment was occupied. Turns out that that seat was taken the entire time - they were using the lavatory.

The passenger, who said he was a CP (not so sure though) – said, “What, you are going to give me a free ticket – I have enough of those." The FA then told him to leave the plane, and you could hear someone else say, “When he leaves the plane, close the door, and let’s go.”

We pushed back from the gate at approx. 5:40 PM with wheels up at approx. 6:00 PM. We then landed in PHX at 8:15 PM – suppose to arrive at 7:45 PM. HP staff greeted the flight to help those folks with connecting flight info. I had also spoken to the CP Desk Supervisor before I departed, who watched my flight throughout my journey. I called him when I landed, and he told me my connecting flight was delayed, the gate I was going to do, etc. (Another great US employee!)

Make a long story short, I made my connection, and am in SLC!

It was a very interesting flight, as I was very nervous. I was told the next flight I could be confirmed on to SLC would be on Saturday. Ah!

Nevertheless, I really think the HP staff was great – both at DCA/PHX - CP desk, and on the aircraft. A stressful flight, but I was very impressed by the service I received. Other passengers were very thankful as well.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I thought CP's had guaranteed seating? If there is a problem with their original seat shouldn't they be bumping other folks? It is not going to be fair to anyone but if the pax was definitely a CP and was removed that would clearly show a disregard for a VFF. I betcha if he was a PP things would of been different, when I was a PP flying HP they moved several folks to accommodate, even at one point taken someone out of F/C.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:05 am

I don't think the CP (assuming he was one) would agree about the great service.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by GoinSki
... most flights are sold out for the next few days....
The flight was oversold, so he called up other passengers who were not making connections and asked them nicely if they would switch...They had to deny boarding obviously, due to these three seats having to go vacant. ..
I wonder if the GA also made an announcement asking for volunteers...

Obviously, CP or not, I wouldn't have been elated in being IDB'ed, but stuff like this happens and I take my lumps like everyone else. If no call for volunteers was made before the GA began bumping involuntarily, I would be on the cellphone to the CP Desk asking them to report the GA's negligence to the station manager.

EddieG, CPs are only guaranteed a seat in coach on an oversold flight if booked at least 24 hours in advance - that's what I remember.

For all I know, the GA did make the call for volunteers and some folks had to be IDB'ed. It sounds like the GA did a remarkable job in a fast turnaround situation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.