Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways a JOY to book with!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
US Airways a JOY to book with!

I have NEVER flown US or even tried to book something directly with them, but today, after approximately 3 hours of pulling my hair out over on UA dot bomb decided to have a little look, and I can say in comparrison, WOW!

The differences:

US lets me use a UK credit card when booking on its US site. UA won't, and when I try to price up the exact same flights on the UK site tries to charge me 4 times (no exaggeration $387 vs Ł650) more. This is a HUGE factor for me.

Live chat box, nice touch, didn't work with me though, but I didn't try again so I don't know how reliable it is. Which leads me to the next point: calling US, took me approximately 40 seconds to actually be speaking to someone, as opposed to yelling at stupid robot man with UA.

All in all I found the whole interface nice clear and simple. Well presented and laid out, with a view to making the whole ticket buying experience as painless as possible. ^

Whilst I'm sure that there are many gripes about it that someone looking for the first time won't encounter, just be thankfull that it isnt UA dot 'we dont want your business' dot bomb.

p.s. one question, a K class ticket is a higher class the W and V on US isnt it?

Last edited by aceman; Dec 6, 2006 at 8:09 pm
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:11 pm

It's kind of unique to see someone who actually enjoyed using usairways.com, but everyone's experience is relative.

On the whole, I find it very usable, but there are definitely things about it which drive me crazy, OLCI for one...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by phlflyer927
It's kind of unique to see someone who actually enjoyed using usairways.com, but everyone's experience is relative.

On the whole, I find it very usable, but there are definitely things about it which drive me crazy, OLCI for one...
The issues that we see are 2 fold - one is the ex-US AIRWAYS (pre-merger) customers seeing the new site vs the old, the second is the "not ready for primetime" bugs we get on the site.

I do think we forget that some other airlines have their issues too, of course the best site would be one that just works. Glad it did just that for the OP!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
...p.s. one question, a K class ticket is a higher class the W and V on US isnt it?
Nope. When K fares are available in a market, they appear to be promotional efforts to battle a Low Cost Carrier. You generally will not find them in most markets if no LCC is on the route.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Not too often that this forum sees compliments on the new website

I do agree with the OP, though, that United's website is a disaster when trying to do anything beyond a simple booking.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by SJPaul
Not too often that this forum sees compliments on the new website

I do agree with the OP, though, that United's website is a disaster when trying to do anything beyond a simple booking.

As a CDN trying to book departing Canada ... UA (new) and US are the WORST sites imaginable!!! UA Canada just kicks you out, US doesn't recognize provinces and rejects your credit card number! Two complete bumblef#cks!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
The OP hit on another fun customer service pet-peeve of mine: UA's "Mr. Robot Man". He actually works pretty well, unless you're in an area with a lot of background noise.

What kind of background noise you say? How about the customer service line in terminal A at IAD, with 300 other people all around you saying variations of cities and flight numbers.

I've actually found a pretty good hack to Mr. Robot Man that not only gets you to a US based res. center, but does it quickly!

I'm not going to post the actual hack on here as I don't want it to be abused. So, yes, I guess I'm just braggig. Sorry.

Good for the OP having a positive customer service experience with US. This just shows how much airlines need to invest in POS tools, like websites and customser service numbers. If US could capture every one of of .bomb's frustrated customers, they'd have a very successful business model.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:02 pm

Maybe I am just an easy customer that they can deal with (domestic US flights only) but I have never had any significant problems with usair.com.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I'm not going to lie, before I read the OP I thought the title was sarcastic.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:23 pm

I have NEVER flown US or even tried to book something directly with them, but today, after approximately 3 hours of pulling my hair out over on UA dot bomb decided to have a little look, and I can say in comparrison, WOW!

The differences:

US lets me use a UK credit card when booking on its US site. UA won't, and when I try to price up the exact same flights on the UK site tries to charge me 4 times (no exaggeration $387 vs Ł650) more. This is a HUGE factor for me.

Live chat box, nice touch, didn't work with me though, but I didn't try again so I don't know how reliable it is. Which leads me to the next point: calling US, took me approximately 40 seconds to actually be speaking to someone, as opposed to yelling at stupid robot man with UA.

All in all I found the whole interface nice clear and simple. Well presented and laid out, with a view to making the whole ticket buying experience as painless as possible. ^

Whilst I'm sure that there are many gripes about it that someone looking for the first time won't encounter, just be thankfull that it isnt UA dot 'we dont want your business' dot bomb.

p.s. one question, a K class ticket is a higher class the W and V on US isnt it?
I'm assuming you came through to European Res here in Liverpool. Glad to hear you got good service. We recently began taking calls from the US also, and they are all so appreciative of how we try to help them, and many comment on how much better our service is than the domestic US Res line, which often goes to Mexico.. anyone else have any comments?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mbevery
Maybe I am just an easy customer that they can deal with (domestic US flights only) but I have never had any significant problems with usair.com.
yeah, that's it you're an "easy customer" .... oh, and the fact you fly domestically.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...so I'm mousing around the website, looking for an award flight to LGW.

They've said you can do pay/upgrade on the website, bit there's no obvious way to do that.

Then I try to book all-miles Envoy, flexible dates, and the little calendar shows up. I click on a couple of dates, and the little thing says "65,000 miles" or even "40,000 miles". OK. So I click further and it tells me it's 120,000 miles. What? Seems to be no correlation between the two pages.

And just what is "First". Do they mean I get First Class on the domestic leg? Like I'd care about that!

Probably have to do it on the phone, just like the old days.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Live chat box, nice touch, didn't work with me though, but I didn't try again so I don't know how reliable it is.
Looks nice but doesn't work. I wish all of my customers were this easy to please.

If that's where the bar is set then, yes, the site is great.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:07 pm

Wow! Don't ever compliment US! You will bring out the Philadelphia Boo-Birds!

Phildelphia sports fans were so bad that they actually booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game.

And they boo US every chance as well.

Bear in mind that US/HP is trying to be Southwest with some business class seats. Don't expect Continental or even United full service.

But, I admit, US does have the worst website of the major US carriers. Even the old America West site was better. How did that happen?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by TonyCMH
Wow! Don't ever compliment US! You will bring out the Philadelphia Boo-Birds!

Phildelphia sports fans were so bad that they actually booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game.

And they boo US every chance as well.

Bear in mind that US/HP is trying to be Southwest with some business class seats. Don't expect Continental or even United full service.

But, I admit, US does have the worst website of the major US carriers. Even the old America West site was better. How did that happen?

Thank you for linking the actions of meat-headed sports fans with a measured discussion on the future of US Airways. Most helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.