Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you a passenger of "SIZE"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Jenniferpa
Personally, I'm fed up with the broad-shouldered interfering with my seat space, so if they're going to do this they need to do it for every body type. Women are broader in the hips, men broader in the shoulders so obviously, we need sizing boxes, like the ones used for carry-ons.
At Cedar Point they have a sample seat outside one of the roller coasters. If you can't sit in it and buckle the seat belt, you can't ride. That might slow down the boarding process though.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I'm quite sure that all of those not effected by this policy change will applaud the policy. But let's consider those effected.

1. You bought a US ticket and have no idea of the policy change

and

2. You arrive at the ticket counter and are given a boarding pass and nothing is mentioned about the policy

and

3. You arrive at the gate and are allowed to board and nothing is mentioned about the policy

and

4. The F/A comes up to you, informs you of the policy and instructs you to gather your belongings and go back to the gate.

and

5. The gate agents tells you have to buy another ticket or have to wait till the next flight that has two seats.

All because the airline posted this policy change notifying the F/A that they now have to enforce a policy on the plane with no provisions to address the issue prior to boarding. How irate are you going to be. How embarrassed are you going to be? Where is US's responsibility to inform the passenger of size before he is sitting in his/her seat.

Let's have an honest answer from you who all agree with this policy change and the way it is being implemented.
Really good post, L4PI. I was really angry when I found the transatlantic luggage policy change at the check in counter, and that was not a personal issue. There should be a notice on their webpage, info sent to travel agencies, and although I'm sure it would never happen, a DM email.

Having said that, I have to say I think it's the right thing to do. I paid for my whole seat and I'd like all of it, thank you. Sharing the armrest is as far as I'm willing to go (farther, actually).
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by murphy
If they are on their first airline flight ever, and if they woke up one morning 100 lbs heavier than the day before, then I guess I have sympathy for them. But honestly, do you think it comes as a surprise to most large people? And US doesn't make them buy a second seat. They can standby for the next flight, or move to two adjacent seats if available.
Murphy

I want you to do me a favor. Get a tape measure and either measure yourself at the hips and waist or have some one do it for you. See how many inches it measures to. On Barbie Jet, if any one of the two are more than 18.5 inches you could be forced to fly the flight or buy two seats. The most popular size of a men's clothing is a size 44 coat and 38" pants. In most cases, men of this size are going to be over the limit.

But that is not my point. Whether you have flown before or not, how do you know you are supposed to buy two tickets? How do you refund them?
Where in the contract of carriage is there anything about this. That is the only documemt that matters. That is what a pax and US agreed to when they bought the ticket. Where is this policy discussed on the web site?

No where and that is my point. It is not enforcable, but yet they want the F/A to do so once ANY pax is on the plane.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: US,AA,NW,UA
Where in the contract of carriage is there anything about this. That is the only documemt that matters. That is what a pax and US agreed to when they bought the ticket. Where is this policy discussed on the web site?
Does WN have it in their CoC?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Go3Team
Or UA? Or NW? Or DL?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is a person who has NOT flown US supposed to know they were supposed to have bought two seats before they sit next to you and you have them arrested? How do they get a refund for the second seat if there is one open on the flight?

I await your informed response....
I answered that in another post. I'll just cut and paste:

I'm marginally more sympathetic to someone who hasn't ever flown. However, that is only marginal sympathy. My family tends towards overweight (though, as I said, I'm overweight, I'm considered the "thin one" in my family). I have relatives who are extremely heavy. Life, in general, is more difficult for them, and they are very aware that "average" furniture contemplates a far smaller body type than they possess. They're reminded of this every time they go to the movies, the theater, ride a bus, a subway, buy clothes, etc., and always consider what compromises may be necessary as they go about their business. It's very hard to imagine a person large enough that they need to buy two airline seats not being aware of the potential for a problem, even if they've never flown before.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if they are ONE INCH over? Yeah right.......
No, not if they're one inch over. That's just childish -- this isn't about spatting siblings crying, "he's over the line into my space." It's about selfish people who think they have a right to usurp something that someone else has paid for.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:29 pm

Murphy

I want you to do me a favor. Get a tape measure and either measure yourself at the hips and waist or have some one do it for you. See how many inches it measures to. On Barbie Jet, if any one of the two are more than 18.5 inches you could be forced to fly the flight or buy two seats. The most popular size of a men's clothing is a size 44 coat and 38" pants. In most cases, men of this size are going to be over the limit.
Im a 44L and 36, and i fit between the armrests. I think this is actually less of a problem on the Barbie Jets, because there's no middle seat.

Franky, I think you're just stirring up #$@% here. How surprising.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Go3Team
Yes
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: US Silver
Admittedly this is unscientific (due to a very small sample size - i.e my DD and myself) but there appears that the relationship between hip measurements and seated width is around 2.3. It may vary if you're male. That is if your hips are 40 inches, your seat width will be around 17.4 inches. I'm telling you, 40 inches is not that big (US size 10/12). This is my DD's size and she's 5'5" and 135lbs. True, no one of that size is going to be asking for a seat-belt extension, but it doesn't mean that you're not going to be overlapping.

Im a 44L and 36, and i fit between the armrests. I think this is actually less of a problem on the Barbie Jets, because there's no middle seat.

I agree. This is really a stretch. If someone encroaches into someone else's seat on a full flight, shouldn't the encroacher (or trespasser) be forced to leave the plane? Unless the smaller passenger is willing sell a portion of his seat to his neighbor...
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 2, 2006 at 1:44 pm Reason: deleted
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Murph,

Did you actually measure or did you just respond? Or could it be you are going to be over the limit....

No I'm telling you what the policy is reported to be. ONE INCH. if you don't like it, take it up with TEMPE. My issue again is they have put a policy into place with out any one knowing.

Are you going to answer the questions from the post you quoted or not?

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 2, 2006 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
But that my good man is the policy that you want enforced. ONE INCH.
I have no problem with that policy. If someone extends one inch beyond the seat width, he is bigger than one seat. That said, I doubt that the poilicy will be enforced to exactly one inch. Kind of like a highway speed limit.

Let's guess what's going to be the next absurd passanger complaint. How about: A parent flying with twin four-year-old boys complaining that she had to pay for two kids' tickets even though she was not planning on having twins when she got pregnant?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommyleo
That said, I doubt that the poilicy will be enforced to exactly one inch.
Maybe, maybe not. What if you are flying next to some one like PTravel who has made it clear he will have you deplaned or arrested..... What are you going to do?

Let me say this one more time. I am favor of a policy in regards to this issue. I'm against not posting it, not adding it to the CoC, and not enforcing before the PAX is on the plane. And I can tell you one inch isn't going to fly either. If it does, most of little folks here will have lots of seats to choose from......

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 2, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.