Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embraer ERJ 135/145??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Question Embraer ERJ 135/145??

Hi - We are about to book flights BOS to RIC and the Embraer with 50 seats is the plane. The flight is only about 2 hours. How is this plane?
Thanks, sueoz
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sueoz
Hi - We are about to book flights BOS to RIC and the Embraer with 50 seats is the plane. The flight is only about 2 hours. How is this plane?
Thanks, sueoz
Tight but better than a CRJ in that there is a side with only one seat - hence you get a window and aisle. If you are flying together the twosome is still better. Very very limited overhead room on the ERJ - worse than the CRJ.

Try to get seats closer to the front - quieter as engines are in the back.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:58 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
They are also known by FFers as "Barbie Jets" (tm -l4pi), the flying pencil or lawn dart.

Upside is they are not a prop plane as they are a jet. Downside if you're on them longer than an hour and you don't have an exit row.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
They're similar to the CRJs except they are one seat thinner, so there will be one seat, an aisle, then two seats. Another plus is that the lav occupies the entire width at the end of the plane so it's more roomy. The windows are also higher and larger than on the CRJ so it's easier to see out of them. The exit row and bulkheads are the best seats on the plane. Outside of an E170 it's the best RJ you can be on.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
Ahhhh, the jungle jet... Just to echo and concur with what everyone has said:
1) Better than a CRJ
2) Your neck and back won't hurt from hunching over to look out the window (a la CRJ)
3) I've found row 12 (exit) to be fairly comfortable, although there isn't a full size armrest at the window, just a stubby one that I always manage to jam into my ribcage when I sit down.
4) Plan on gate checking anything larger than a laptop case for the most part.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
I think the seats are horrible. After about 15 minutes, my a$$ is hurting. Feels like you're sitting on a 2x4. Not as bad if you're alone on the 2 side and can turn a bit.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Smile

Well well, have fun on the lawn dart....echoing everything above w/a few additions

1. ONLY sit in the "A" row...that is the single seat row

2. DO NOT reserve any seat behind row 12...as it will be ungodly noisy, and vibrate tons

3. DO NOT reserve any seat ahead of row 4...rows 1&2 are FREEZING!!! COLD...and if the plane is 40-70% full...the FA will move everyone out of 1-3 anyways and stick you at the very back of the plane...see #2

As bad as this sounds...it is much better than the CRJ..it has leather seats too
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks! I guess for two hours it doesn't sound too bad - especially as the price is right! Everything out of Providence was expensive as it's Easter week. Thanks for all the input. sue
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA *G
It really isn't that bad.
Once I was in row 19 (last row, after arguing with an FA and getting kicked out of the exit row) on a Continental ERJ, and it was loud, but it wasn't *TERRIBLE*
-a
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I did any entirely (almost) transcon trip on ERJ last year (RDU-IAH-TUS and return), Continental. I had the 'A' seat on each segment. While it was not the ideal way to cross the country, it worked, and better than a CRJ.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:47 pm

There's no better way to fly than on a US jungle jumper, plus, you get the cool boarding music...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:47 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
noise reducing headsets are a worthwhile investment if you are on these a lot.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:24 am

I flew one last night (BWI-PIT), on the single seat side and it was uncomfortable, lucky it was under 1 hour. No drink service, FA claimed the galley was "inoperable". After takeoff, she sat in row 1 reading a magazine the rest of the flight. She didn't tear herself away until about 5 minutes after the pilot making the "being our decent" announcement. She was also nasty to a passenger who was trying to get her laptop turned off after the door closed.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I don't mind the Barbie jet if it's a short haul. As long as I can get an "A" seat. Yes, the seats are small and hard, so it can be uncomfortable if it's a longer flight. I still prefer the e145 to a CRJ any day. The e170 beats both of them for comfort though.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:41 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Upside is they are not a prop plane as they are a jet.
What? That's an upside? Props are sooo much better than ERJs & CRJs (for shorter flights at least). You fly low so you get a better view, plus you can visually verify that the pilot has lowered the landing gear (Dash8).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.