Miles expire after 18 months

Old Nov 5, 06, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Miles expire after 18 months

FYI - saw an article in local paper where beginning Jan 31,2007 miles expire if no activity after 18 months. A change from the 36 month rule.
Old Nov 5, 06, 7:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
OTOH, they've made it insanely easy to add a few miles to an otherwise dormant account. Spend a buck or so at iTunes and get 2 miles - there's your activity.
Old Nov 5, 06, 8:03 pm

That's right - miles now expire after 18 months of 'inactivity' on the account. As the previous poster says, this doesn't mean you have to fly, there are dozens of ways to post 'activity' which cost only a few dollars and will keep your accoount active for a further 18 months..
Old Nov 6, 06, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
I'm looking at my on-line statement and it says "miles expires after 36 months".

My last activity was May 05. The first I heard of the new "policy" was an email about a month ago.

Legally, they can probably do anything they want. But I think it's a major PR blunder to make miles that would have expired in May 08 expire 18 months earlier.
Old Nov 7, 06, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, HH, MR
Following up on the 18 months to zero miles thread, here is the email I was sent. I haven't flown USAirways in years, as you'll read below, so I'm OK with this. I've matched status and now live in the middle of the country where I'm mostly on NW and UA. Maybe I can find a good magazine or better yet, I'll donate the miles to charity.

DONíT LOSE YOUR DIVIDEND MILES

Dividend Miles #: **********

Dear ##### #########:

Itís been a long time since youíve used the US Airways Dividend Miles program. As an important customer, we want to make sure you keep the miles that youíve earned.

Mileage balance: 2,074
Your last activity date: 05/15/2004

Several months ago, we introduced a new policy that rewards our customers for keeping their Dividend Miles account active. Effective January 31, 2007, you must earn or redeem miles within a consecutive 18-month period in order to keep your account active. If you donít have activity by January 31, 2007, youíll forfeit your miles.

Our records indicate that you have been inactive since 05/15/2004. To keep your account active and hang on to your miles, you have several options:

Earn miles by flying on US Airways or any of our airline partners.
Use any of our other partners for everyday activities such as dining out, sending flowers, and more.
Redeem miles
When you take advantage of any of the opportunities above by January 31, 2007, your miles will remain active for another 18 months.

Thank you for choosing US Airways.

Sincerely,

John M. Reistrup
Director, Marketing Programs
Old Nov 22, 06, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
What a pointless process this is. My 7-yr-old daughter's 40K miles are up for expiration in Feb. I can buy a 99 cent pen from OfficeMax.com, with free shipping. It's 3 points per dollar. Do you think I'll get any points since it's a penny shy?

I could go the iTunes route, but I'd really like to go with OM, forcing them to pay to process and ship my order, just to show how idiotic it is. Nice goin', McAirline.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 22, 06 at 9:38 pm