Wiki Posts
Search

Paper Tickets from UA for US fares?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US SP
Paper Tickets from UA for US fares?

So in several cases I've wanted to buy some very specific but couldn't give the US website to give them to me. One was a very specific double connect I found on ITA to get the cheapest fare. The other was a case where the US website said a 21 day fare was no longer available, by other sites would (I was booking between midnight EST and PST).

In both cases I was able to pull these up on UA's site to avoid a booking fee I'd get at most other websites. These are US fares and do contain HP operated segments. However they had to issue paper tickets - at no extra charge since it was apparently necessary. So I got to spend twenty minutes on the phone with India for each.

Anyway, the real surprise was that UA had to issue paper tickets for US fare. Two major US airlines, in the same alliance and with extensive codesharing - why on earth can't they eticket it?

Also, does anyone have any warning about paper tickets? I already called and got exit rows on one, need to do that for the other. Will I have a problem getting upgrade? Will I lose my seats somehow? etc.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS
I can't give any advice or a personal statement / situation about upgrades, but I've flown using paper tickets issued by UA on US or HP flights in the past. The only "problem" I've had is needing to remember to bring the paper ticket with me to the airport and then waiting in the checkin full service line at the airport.

I'm a 1P with United and have *A Gold because of that ... the last time I flew using such a paper ticket, the nice GA at SEA offered me the Exit row (which I was glad for since it was a CRJ flight from SEA to LAS) and on the way home, the GA said "Oh, Mr. VT2K, I see you're *A Gold ... wait here while the others board the plane, I think there's an open F seat for you." Needless to say there was an open F seat and it was given to me.

In short, just go to the airport early since you have to use a GA to check in before going through the security line.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Were they international or domestic tickets?

I've been caught in the paper-ticket jam before wwhenLH and SQ sometimes book as codeshares with US (only LH, not SQ). For whatever reason LH requires paper tickets for Americans (I think it's so they can charge us another $50).

In any case, when doing a multi-segment trip with one portion on a LH op'ed flight I was stuck with paper tickets for the whole shabang.

It was a real pain in the you know what trying to check in for the DCA - LGA shuttle with paper tickets. The woman at the ticket counter was actually arguing with me that it was impossible I had paper tickets even though she was holding them in her hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.