Wiki Posts
Search

"We are Number 32 for take off.."

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
"We are Number 32 for take off.."

Another adventure leaving PHL for LAX on Flight 1417 this morning!

After finally getting a "push" out of the gate (the pilot informed us that he had called for a push three times before getting an answer), we head off to taxi. After waiting about 10 minutes, the pilot informs us that "we are number 32 for take off"!

Number 32? Personally, I had never had a pilot admit that my flight was more than number 17 for take off -- so the "we are number 32" situation sounded absurd. Well, when I asked the flight attendant if being number 32 was some kind of record, they laughed and told me that they have been "100+ for take off" out of ORD on occasion!

Just curious: what's the highest "number before takeoff" that you all have experienced? Feel free to add any interesting tidbits, too.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Another adventure leaving PHL for LAX on Flight 1417 this morning!

After finally getting a "push" out of the gate (the pilot informed us that he had called for a push three times before getting an answer), we head off to taxi. After waiting about 10 minutes, the pilot informs us that "we are number 32 for take off"!

Number 32? Personally, I had never had a pilot admit that my flight was more than number 17 for take off -- so the "we are number 32" situation sounded absurd. Well, when I asked the flight attendant if being number 32 was some kind of record, they laughed and told me that they have been "100+ for take off" out of ORD on occasion!

Just curious: what's the highest "number before takeoff" that you all have experienced? Feel free to add any interesting tidbits, too.
I do not know which was the maximum number that I had, but.... just for curiosity, how long it took for taking off with num 32?

I hope you took your connection if you had....
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:46 pm

A couple years ago, I was on a UA flight from ORD to CMH. We actually were pushed back early, which was good considering I was so tired after a business trip.

After the pushback, the plane sat on the tarmac not far from the gate for about 10 minutes before we finally taxied. After taxiing for awhile, we finally stopped, and the pilot said we were number 30 something in line. I was listening to the communication channel (was it 9? I can't remember, it's been a long time since I took UA). The pilots of who knows how many planes on the radio were asking the ATC for their number. The ATC seemed to be a little impatient and said if you're flight is not called, that means you're above number 10 or something like that. Of course my flight was not on the list of the first 10 flights. We finally made it to about number 15 or so, then the pilot informed us that the airport had been turned around and we had to taxi to another runway. From the window, I saw so many planes taxiing in line to another runway. It was like a traffic jam on a highway full with different types of aircraft, from 747s to RJs.

Now, for some reason, we were number 20 something. We waited in line for a while and the pilot once again came on the PA and said that we were running low on fuel and had to go back to the gate. At this time, cell phone use was permitted and people started making phone calls. We were at the gate, but stayed on board. The refueling process took only about 15 minutes. Of course, we lost our place in line. We started again, this time it wasn't too bad. We were number 10 something.

All in all, a flight that left the gate a few minutes early ended up taking off 4 hours later. What a day!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tommyleo
"Dear passengers, we are #30 on the line, it will take us around 35 minutes." 45 minutes later: "We are cleared for take off."

August 2006, ATL. 8:10 a.m.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:31 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
My top two have been #17 and #26, both at LGA after thunderstorms cleared out.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: None
De-icing line

Three years ago, PHL to AMS. "We are 5th in line for de-icing". From push back to take off - three hours. Fortunately, we were in Envoy via upgrade certs.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
#38, JFK at 8PM on a Friday night.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
My top two have been #17 and #26, both at LGA after thunderstorms cleared out.
LGA is a bear. My worst experiences have been with shuttles in the
same situation:

DL, 8 Oct 2000 - Captain: "We have a bit of company tonight -
we're #30 for takeoff."

US, 5 Aug 2001 - #50-something, had to go back for refueling;
7:00 flight took off at 10:35.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:21 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
leaving IAH in the afternoon

Last week leaving IAH the pilot said we were "about 20" in line. There had been some rather remarkable weather through Houston a couple hours prior to this so it seemed somewhat understandable. From my window I counted 24 planes taking off before us and it's possible that I may have missed a couple but it was about 90 minutes from the gate to take off. As we were climbing I counted 46 planes on two taxi ways waiting to take off. I guess it's just me but every afternoon flight out of IAH this year for me has been either delayed significantly or cancelled. I always try for upgrades on the flights out of IAH and they have always cleared so I guess it wasn't too bad. I got a whole bunch of Sudoku puzzles done! So if you see me waiting for an afternoon flight (2:35 pm or 5:25 pm on UA to ORD) you may just want to start looking for a different flight.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
FRA-BUD.
took 1hr+, but once we backed out of the gate, the pilot hauled a**.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:13 am

Ladies and Gents...We are #82 for departure, please feel free to use your cell phones...FA Announcement

US ORD-PHL

After a Noreaster in 2005
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:24 am

Was on a DL flight departing from ATL once in which the captain announced that there were more than 100 aircraft ahead of us in the queue. (The field had just opened again after a thunderstorm.)

While it took quite a long time before we were cleared for takeoff, my visions of being there all night were, fortunately, not realized. They were using multiple runways and ATC was operating efficiently, something that cannot be counted upon in PHL.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: US Silver
50 something in PIT going to PHL. May 2006. Airforce 1 was a PHL and they closed the field. 2 hours late, and I missed my international connection.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Over 50 Multiple Times

I think my personal best is 72 (at LAS, after a thunderstorm).

I've been over 50th at the following other airports:

LGA
JFK
ORD
ATL
LAX
LHR
MSP
SFO
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
US, PHL-PIT-Captain comes on and said that there were 37 planes ahead of us, and that was only counting the ones he could see. Said to go ahead and fire up our cell phones and laptops as we'll be here for a while. That was 2-3 years ago, and when I made my firm policy of never connecting in PHL again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.