Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover on DM ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Stopover on DM ticket?

Are stopovers permitted on a DM domestic ticket en route? The website says I need to call reservations. I called and was speaking with an agent on the phone and the person said that I was able to and was looking at schedules but then put me on hold and someone else picked up.

The second person I spoke to said that stopovers are no longer permitted.

Has anyone booked a stopover on US? I'm looking to go LAX-ORD with a stop in LAS on the return.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Are stopovers permitted on a DM domestic ticket en route? The website says I need to call reservations. I called and was speaking with an agent on the phone and the person said that I was able to and was looking at schedules but then put me on hold and someone else picked up.

The second person I spoke to said that stopovers are no longer permitted.

Has anyone booked a stopover on US? I'm looking to go LAX-ORD with a stop in LAS on the return.
You can do it, as long as you are flying LAX-LAS-ORD, which is certainly possible on US. Here's the rule (check under the "Stopovers" subhead):

One (1) en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city*, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner’s hub city.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks AZ. Now if I can only get a reservation agent to believe me.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I was just trying with a US agent to book a Hawaii RT using US miles on UA metal. When I tried getting a stopover in LAX on my return, continuing on to the Midwest a few days later, the telephone rep said that I could not because it was a circle trip.

Is that true OR is this one of those situations where I should hang up and try another agent? TIA!!
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The language on their website leads me to think it is not permitted for domestic awards.
Stopovers

Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or the itinerary includes an open jaw.

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner’s hub city. US Airways hub/gateway cities include Phoenix, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale and Pittsburgh. Please consult with Reservations for partner hub cities.

Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by loomis
I was just trying with a US agent to book a Hawaii RT using US miles on UA metal. When I tried getting a stopover in LAX on my return, continuing on to the Midwest a few days later, the telephone rep said that I could not because it was a circle trip.

Is that true OR is this one of those situations where I should hang up and try another agent? TIA!!
I'm not sure what they mean by a "circle trip," but what I've recently learned is that a stop-over, specifically on partner award travel, can only be done on an international itinerary, not on a North American itinerary. So, I don't think you'll be able to book the stop-over you're looking to do. Just a week ago, I was working on an award ticket US to Canada, with many CP agents over a few day period, and not one of them would allow me to put a stop-over into the reservation. Each one said that you can do it on an international partner ticket, but not North America-only.

On their website, under Partner Travel it says the following:

One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards.
So I don't know whether this was a change from the rules of two years ago, but it appears you're not going to be able to get this done, unless you find someone who doesn't know the rules so well.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by username
Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or the itinerary includes an open jaw.
That's the definitive language I was looking for. It's consistent with what each agent told me. The US, including Hawaii, is in the same region, so a stop-over will not be allowed.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I went ahead and took it a step further and called US' on line help desk only to hear the same response as stated above. No luck.

I guess if you are new at accumulating Star Alliance carrier miles, all else being, equal you may want to chose UA since they do allow the West Coast stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.