Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved Bump Vouchers Debut August 1!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
If you used a voucher for "one free rt flight" you earned no miles and could not upgrade. If you used a $$ voucher, you got miles and an upgrade (if available by elite status).
So the rule is, if it has a dollar amount on it, it earns. If it is an unlimited free rt voucher with no dollar amount, it doesn't.
That's my experience anyway.
Mine, too...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:53 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Mine three.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
I've seen GAs offer 2 of the bump vouchers when they had no/insufficient volunteers, so it is possible that one might be able to exceed the posted amounts.
Yeah, my family of four scored 8 of them on a MCI-PHL oversold flight.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
I thought in the "old" days, you could NOT earn miles and would NOT be entitled to upgrades if you used "airline" money to buy tickets? Maybe this was an HP thing and US did allow mileage accrual and upgrades? Can anybody clarify that for sure you CAN earn miles if you use US bump money for future travel?
The old America West Future Travel Awards (issued for dollar amounts) had the heavy-handed restrictions, such as no mileage credit, no residual value, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
The old America West Future Travel Awards (issued for dollar amounts) had the heavy-handed restrictions, such as no mileage credit, no residual value, etc.

Any yet, at least in some cases, it was possible to get mileage credit (though no residual value). I flew PHX-ANC this spring on one and received full miles for the trip.

At any rate, the new vouchers sound much better than the current, especially if they'll combine for overnights/European destinations.

Thank you, US!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
One thing I did forget to mention... while you will earn miles and be eligible for upgrades using the $$ voucher option, there will be no residual value if you don't use the whole thing.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
One thing I did forget to mention... while you will earn miles and be eligible for upgrades using the $$ voucher option, there will be no residual value if you don't use the whole thing.
Doubt there will be a problem there, as the voucher dollar amounts appear to be larger than many published airfares.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Hopefully the first FTer to get his/her hands on one of these things can type up the T&C for the rest of us to see.

Nice move, Tempe.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Thanks for sharing this with us - I like the new options a lot, as I prefer to buy my tickets and get the miles/ upgrades.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
i don't think this has been made clear yet:

let's say mrs. overpaidslacker and i picked up bump vouchers for a domestic flight on july 21st (which we did). will these vouchers, which were issued on july 21st and which remain unused at the time of this post, be eligible for "conversion" into $$ toward a future, mileage-earning flight (since they will be redeemed after 01august), or will they remain valid only for a rtfc?

with fingers crossed, i am:
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by OverpaidSlacker
i don't think this has been made clear yet:

let's say mrs. overpaidslacker and i picked up bump vouchers for a domestic flight on july 21st (which we did). will these vouchers, which were issued on july 21st and which remain unused at the time of this post, be eligible for "conversion" into $$ toward a future, mileage-earning flight (since they will be redeemed after 01august), or will they remain valid only for a rtfc?

with fingers crossed, i am:
I'm not really sure... the posting I saw at work didn't address this, but I'll try to find out tomorrow if I can. I'm not sure if I will be able to find a specific answer to this, though. Reservations may know - call up and tell them what you have, and ask if they'll accept them for $$ off.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:32 pm

The old method was flat out STUPID. Here's how it went for me several times:

"I'll give up my seat for a $200 voucher."

"Let me check with my supervisor." A few minutes later "sir, we can't do that unless I deny you boarding."

"OK, you can deny whoever doesn't have a seat assignment boarding. I'll choose to get home on time because an RTFC is almost impossible to use. If you change your mind feel free to pull me off the plane."

Sitting on plane twenty minutes later next to a gentleman in a suit "my coworker was just denied boarding and is going to probably miss his meeting if the next flight isn't absolutely perfect. He's going to be driving very fast to his meeting in Greensborough, I told him not to speed."

So instead of making me happy ($200) and making Mr. Businessman happy (getting him on the plane) they deny him boarding, lowering his initial US Experience (since apparently he had no status or he would've been higher on the list tremendously and end up pissing him off.

Absolutely REE-TAR-DED
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: UA *G
Is $400 adequate under EU compensation rules?
KLM Offers 600 euro cash / 800 euro voucher on their AMS-JFK flights for an overnight layover.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by gardener
Yeah, my family of four scored 8 of them on a MCI-PHL oversold flight.
That's a pretty good haul. I've never actually taken a bump, but $3200 would do it for me.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I was fortunate enough to snag a bump voucher over the weekend... wasn't aware of this thread until after the fact, but the agent who gave me the voucher only indiciated it was worth a free ticket. I asked for a $$ voucher and was told no. Usually, I would have declined because I know how hard these free ticket vouchers can be to use, but I was only going to be delayed by 30 minutes so I took it.

Anyways, anyone have any luck booking one using it as $200 and did miles post? Can these be booked/viewed online anywhere or can it only be done over the phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.