FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Using old US Air upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/563238-using-old-us-air-upgrade-coupons.html)

shiffman May 28, 2006 11:51 am

Using old US Air upgrade coupons

I just turned up a book of upgrade coupons (from 1993!), each of which is good for a 1st class upgrade - 800 miles per coupon. These have no expiration date, but it's not clear to me how I could use them presently. US Airways agent thought they might be redeemed for miles. Anyone have an idea how I can get some value out of these?

Thanks

Saul

Phoenix Flyer May 28, 2006 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by shiffman
I just turned up a book of upgrade coupons (from 1993!), each of which is good for a 1st class upgrade - 800 miles per coupon. These have no expiration date, but it's not clear to me how I could use them presently. US Airways agent thought they might be redeemed for miles. Anyone have an idea how I can get some value out of these?

Thanks

Saul

Under the US Uniform Commercial Code, if they have no expiration date they are still valid and will be long after US is out of business. The UCC trumps any internal US opinion or policy. As long as they are branded US Airways and not Piedmont or PSA, for instance, they have no choice but to take them and give you the upgrade.

shiffman May 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenix Flyer
Under the US Uniform Commercial Code, if they have no expiration date they are still valid and will be long after US is out of business. The UCC trumps any internal US opinion or policy. As long as they are branded US Airways and not Piedmont or PSA, for instance, they have no choice but to take them and give you the upgrade.

THANKS!

S

Phoenix Flyer May 28, 2006 1:31 pm

THANKS!

S

They will argue and argue with you. And, since they are so old they may require that you redeem tham at an airport station. If you need to, ask for the Station Manager. If the coupon has no expiration date and if you comply with any other conditions stipulated on the coupon (fare basis, frequent flyer status, etc.), they have no choice but to provide you with an upgrade. If it does not make direct reference to "capacity controls", which those coupons did not back in the early 90's, it is good on any open seat.

murphy May 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Do you have status on US? If so, I'm not sure what good those certs would do you, since you already qualify for unlimited upgrades. By the way, welcome to FlyerTalk.

shiffman May 28, 2006 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by murphy
Do you have status on US? If so, I'm not sure what good those certs would do you, since you already qualify for unlimited upgrades. By the way, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yeah, I'm CP (at least until the merger recomputes things). But these would allow me to upgrade the whole family. They're transferable and have no booking restrictions.

And, thanks

Saul

Phoenix Flyer May 28, 2006 5:58 pm

If I remember those upgrades, they are much less limited than the current alleged "unlimited" US upgrades. You have probably already found that the current upgrades are "unlimited" in name only by US. They are actually VERY limited. Capacity controls on them very frequently make them entirely unavailable, despite US having many seats available for sale in F.

HomeToPit May 28, 2006 6:57 pm

I have fun occasionally with the FA's by giving them an old USAir drink coupon. Some just take it while others stare at it and have no idea what to do. I've even had a couple of FA's downright refuse to accept them.

I had a boss that years ago when he left we found about 20 books of 10 coupons each in his desk :D

mileshound May 28, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks

Saul

I gave some of those to a friend to use about 3 years ago. I think they took them and converted them to e-upgrades (2 per coupon).

I used some myself about 4-5 years ago before I had status, and they just stapled them to my BP.

sbtinme May 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Hey, I still have a small stack of free admission USAir Club passes from a US sales manager (remember when they had those??!?). He gave me about 2 dozen of the things and, back in the day, when I was connecting in PIT all the time, I'd use one for a long layover.

Still have maybe 5 or 6 knocking around still. Used one last year and the agent commented that she hadn't seen one like it in 7 years or so, but had no further question. We were waved right in.

shiffman May 28, 2006 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound
I gave some of those to a friend to use about 3 years ago. I think they took them and converted them to e-upgrades (2 per coupon).

I used some myself about 4-5 years ago before I had status, and they just stapled them to my BP.

Good to know. That suggests I may get some value out of 'em yet!

S

Phoenix Flyer May 28, 2006 11:21 pm

Good to know. That suggests I may get some value out of 'em yet!

S

They have no choice, or it is a federal violation.

orangeandwhite May 29, 2006 2:20 am

Well, they might honor them, but not for this reason... these coupons would be prepetition claims in their Chapter 11 case and if so are likely worthless.

It would depend on whether they treat them as airline tickets or mileage (both of which were specially exempted in the first-day orders) or as something else.

CPRich May 29, 2006 7:10 am

Seriously, do you just make this stuff as you go?

How is contractual obligation to the USAirways Corporation still valid "long after US is out of business".

USAirways, Inc. can re-brand themselves as PSA and they would still be valid. If USAirways, Inc. liquidates and another company forms in the future with the same name, anything from the previous company has zero relationship to the new company.

Phoenix Flyer May 29, 2006 8:18 am

Originally Posted by orangeandwhite
Well, they might honor them, but not for this reason... these coupons would be prepetition claims in their Chapter 11 case and if so are likely worthless.

It would depend on whether they treat them as airline tickets or mileage (both of which were specially exempted in the first-day orders) or as something else.

Didn't think about the Chapter 11 aspect. Good point. But, according to other posters prepetition issues did not prevent US from allowing usage of other prepetition items, so hopefully it won't be used selectively this time.