Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are upgrades possible on free voucher tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hilton Silver
Are upgrades possible on free voucher tickets?

I received one of those free RT "Transportation Vouchers" for volunteering to go on a later flight. I redeemed it for travel this weekend from PIT-PHL (I know its not the best deal but I have 3 more vouchers - gotta start using them up). I am Gold preferred. I want to know, does this qualify for space available complimentary upgrades? (Both the aircrafts do have first class cabins). Just wondering. Thanks.

PS: Even though its only like a 60 minute flight, leaving PHL is usually so terrible, I enjoy my one hour in First Class!!!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by aardee
I received one of those free RT "Transportation Vouchers" for volunteering to go on a later flight. I redeemed it for travel this weekend from PIT-PHL (I know its not the best deal but I have 3 more vouchers - gotta start using them up). I am Gold preferred. I want to know, does this qualify for space available complimentary upgrades? (Both the aircrafts do have first class cabins). Just wondering. Thanks.

PS: Even though its only like a 60 minute flight, leaving PHL is usually so terrible, I enjoy my one hour in First Class!!!
I'm not sure about the vouchers, but they will not upgrade a FF coach award ticket. A one hour flight from PHL-PIT will get you at least 2 hours in FC, do they offer drinks while you're on your endless taxi??
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: US lowlife
No, they are not upgradeable. You will find the occasional agent that will, if you ask.

-JC
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hilton Silver
FC service preflight

Originally Posted by Travels2mch
I'm not sure about the vouchers, but they will not upgrade a FF coach award ticket. A one hour flight from PHL-PIT will get you at least 2 hours in FC, do they offer drinks while you're on your endless taxi??
Hey - In PIT here as well!
I've done the PIT-PHL-PIT run many a times (even with status). On many upgrade days, preflight beverage service is sporadic depending on timeliness of flight, and the FAs themselves. But you're right - when they DO bust out the service, it makes for a good 2 hours of FC service.
Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
jcooke is correct, which is why I rarely take the bump. Only reason I do now is if someone I know needs a ticket to a pricey airport - they are pretty easy to transfer (you just have to go to the airport - hopefully that will be able to be done online when they finish all their changes!)
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
For what it's worth, I'll third jcooke's assessment. Absent a merciful G/A, there's no way to get into FC on a Y voucher. Like saver coach awards, the voucher will book into "X", which is a non-upgradeable fare code.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Even though US does not publicize it, they do offer $200 vouchers in lieu of the free ticket option for oversold flight volunteers. GAs always play dumb and act like they can't honor that request, but they can and do. You can redeem the dollar voucher toward any published fare and still get all the bennies - segments, upgrades, and miles. $200 is cheap compared to NW's standard $300, but it's better than a capacity controlled freebie.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I'm not sure about US TA's and GA's, but HP agents frequently upgrade me on award/voucher flights. The system won't auto-upgrade you, but if you ask "Are there any F seats available?" at a HP counter you just might get an upgrade.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
BNA,
I read that somewhere else and had a voucher that was running out. I called the CP line and was told in no uncertain terms (she indicated that she went to T&C and even read back to me the relevant part) that there was no policy for them to offer the $200 voucher. Now that I'm reading your post I see (I think) that we need to ask for that voucher at the time of the bump. That would be much more worthwhile then the free ticket. Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Yes, you absolutely must ask for the $200 voucher at the time of the bump. I typically get bumped off of Express flights out of CLT. I always offer to go straight to the Special Services counter on concourse E as they are better equipped to hand out the vouchers there.

Also, if the next flight you need is sold out in Y, they can place CPs in paid F seats if need be. Sometimes they forget/don't know about that as well, so be persistent. Happy travels!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I took a bump on a Monday morning PIT-CLT flight a couple weeks ago....my morning meeting was cancelled and I didn't need to be there until 4:00 or so. When I mentioned to the supervisor in PIT that I'd prefer the voucher, he replied (nicely) that the value of the voucher depends on the value of your ticket -- the voucher is issued in the amount of the one-way fare for the flight from which you've elected to be bumped. Since I fly this route every Monday morning, I'd booked the ticket far enough in advance that the voucher wouldn't have come close to $200. He explained it nicely enough, and made it seem like when I've gotten the voucher in the past the GA has done something they shouldn't have done, so I made a note to look into it.

When I checked the Terms of Transportation listed on the website, found here, I noticed that his explanation fits with their written policy.

FWIW, I was happy enough that he took time from a busy morning to talk. Amidst the cattle call that happens in the B concourse on a Monday morning, it was a welcome surprise.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BNAChairman
Yes, you absolutely must ask for the $200 voucher at the time of the bump. I typically get bumped off of Express flights out of CLT. I always offer to go straight to the Special Services counter on concourse E as they are better equipped to hand out the vouchers there.

Also, if the next flight you need is sold out in Y, they can place CPs in paid F seats if need be. Sometimes they forget/don't know about that as well, so be persistent. Happy travels!
Conusmer Affairs also will convert them.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by aardee
Hey - In PIT here as well!
I've done the PIT-PHL-PIT run many a times (even with status). On many upgrade days, preflight beverage service is sporadic depending on timeliness of flight, and the FAs themselves. But you're right - when they DO bust out the service, it makes for a good 2 hours of FC service.
Thanks
My last PHL experience (a couple years ago) was connecting from BHM to PIT. Got to PHL and found a late PIT flight had not left (earlier than my scheduled one) and was able to get on (in coach though). Started taxi, all of a sudden the Captain came on and said we may as well fire up our laptops and cell phones as it would be about an hour before takeoff with as many aircraft in front of us. I did see they had busted out the booze up front and was thinking I could have had a good buzz before takeoff!! And we landed later than my original flight was scheduled for (but who knows what time that one actually arrived).

I now never connect through PHL, I use other airlines before I ever go through that airport again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.