Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - USAirways Juniper Card Phishing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Exclamation Warning - USAirways Juniper Card Phishing

I received a phishing email this morning from what appeared to be Barclays (who own Juniper). It's better than most, so just wanted to warn everyone that it's a fake.

I notified GoDaddy who is the registrar of the site it is directed to and also Juniper.

My larger concern is that this was sent to an email that I created upon opening my Juniper account. That email address is not used for anything other than receiving Juniper emails.

All signs point to an inside job - someone at Barclays must have sold customer email addresses. The only other possible explanation is that someone cracked into Barclay's SMTP server. That's just as scary.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Did you do the 50 cent flight promotion? They may have used an outside vendor for that promotion.

Please advise of Juniper's response.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Did you do the 50 cent flight promotion? They may have used an outside vendor for that promotion.
Please advise of Juniper's response.
No, I travel too much so never had a chance to give it a try.

Definitely will post their response here. I mentioned this to my neighbor yesterday and he remarked that he also received one of these emails.

On a positive note, GoDaddy.Com shut down the site within 15 minutes of receiving my report. Kudos to those guys are in order.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:59 am

Here's another one. I got a message on my voice mail saying
This is your credit card's fraud detection unit calling regarding your account. Please call us as soon as possible to verify your account activity. Our phone number is 866-390-3441.
That's it. No company information at all.

When I called the number, it asked for my Social Security number and zip code. Again, the recording didn't identify the company. By putting in some bogus information and getting to another menu, I determined that it was Juniper.

I called Juniper direct at the number on my card, 866-419-0881. It really was them, and they wanted to confirm an international charge.

Still, I think I was right to suspect a phishing attempt. Anyone can set up an 866 number and collect SSNs.

If they need to talk to me about my account, (1) they should identify themselves, and (2) they should give the number on the card as the callback number. Even though Juniper issues multiple cards, I don't think it's that great of a challenge to identify the card or at least say "Juniper".
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: USAirways FF; Hilton; Brentwood; Omni
This thread helped me...

I also rec'd a message from "Barclays" regarding potentially fraudulant account activity with my USAirways MC. I found this thread when I called then number and was asked to enter my Soc Sec Number without any other information.

Finding this thread informed me that it was my USAirways card ( I have a couple with Barclay ) and that the call may be legitimate. I then called the customer service number on the card and verified the charges.

As mentioned above and on the back of your card, contact the 866-419-0881 number if you get the above call until they improve the communication.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
With the number of customer data breaches recently it would be easy to take an 800 number and do a call campaign to get SSN info. Whether they say who they are or not, never take for granted that a voice mail you got was real.

If you get a strange voicemail with a strange 800 number its always a good idea to call the number on the back of your card to verify the call. You could easily get a phishing voicemail.

If you want to call an 800 number you're unfamiliar with and they ask for any account information (even last 4 digits of the SSN number) you can try to fool the system - make a mistake the first time you enter what they ask for - only the real credit card company will recognize the mistake and make you re-enter.

It's always consumer beware.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:29 pm

I had a call on my answering machine at home a few months ago from Barclays about a fraud. I immediately thought it was a scam. So instead of calling the number on the message, I called the number on the back of my card. Turns out it was real! Someone had tried to charge $1,800 of athletic equipment to my card in NY! They said they caught it because the person did not have my 3 digit number from the back of the card. They closed the account and sent me a new card.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Ditto for the Barclay's fraud here. Companies shouldn't do this. It sets up users for future phone phishing attempts. The voicemail they should leave is something along the lines of "if you have the card please call the number on the back of it, otherwise call (866)xxx-yyyy." I thought it was very unprofessional that they did it the way they did.

Also second the Kudo's for GoDaddy. Despite their terribly tacky advertising I've done businessw with them for years and they are amazing. They call me with offers that actually save me money, or just to see how things are going and if I need any help. I don't understand how they do this when they charge such cheap prices for their services. They sort of have the LCC business model executed correctly.

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.