FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Can USairways.com reservations be canceled within 24 hours? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/505469-can-usairways-com-reservations-canceled-within-24-hours.html)

yevlesh2 Dec 19, 2005 1:05 am

Can USairways.com reservations be canceled within 24 hours?

Many airline websites (UA, NW, etc) allow you to cancel bookings within 24 hours with no penalty. Does US have a similar policy?

ghhoughton Dec 19, 2005 3:37 am

Before the merger w/ HP, US had a policy that allowed you to cancel a reservation made within a 24hr window of making the reservation. Per the website:

"Due to new policies with our merger partner, America West, we no longer support 24 hour cancellation of tickets."

Currently, the policy dictates that US lets you hold a reservation for 24hrs, where you can cancel that reservation at anytime w/in the 24hr window.

-GH

US AIRWAYS FAN Dec 19, 2005 6:39 am

:td: Too bad you can't put a hold on a ticket on the website. You use to be able to do that. But now you have to call the RES for that. What crap :td:

Originally Posted by ghhoughton
Before the merger w/ HP, US had a policy that allowed you to cancel a reservation made within a 24hr window of making the reservation. Per the website:

"Due to new policies with our merger partner, America West, we no longer support 24 hour cancellation of tickets."

Currently, the policy dictates that US lets you hold a reservation for 24hrs, where you can cancel that reservation at anytime w/in the 24hr window.

-GH

PHL Dec 19, 2005 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ghhoughton
-GH

That's hardly a policy when the actual FARE is not guaranteed until you actually pay for it. There's no difference in doing that vs. just booking the trip when you're actually ready to pay.

Brendan Dec 19, 2005 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
That's hardly a policy when the actual FARE is not guaranteed until you actually pay for it. There's no difference in doing that vs. just booking the trip when you're actually ready to pay.

The small difference is that they do hold a seat of that bucket/inventory 4U.

Sokol Dec 19, 2005 10:55 pm

I disagree. The fare is held as well.

Originally Posted by PHL

ghhoughton Dec 20, 2005 3:32 am

Personally, I appreciated the 24hr cancel/change policy. Now I have to be more mindful of booking trips and try to avoid booking them at 3am. No more correcting mistakes :)

The new policy won't let you 'change' your reservation since it's not the one they held for you... booooo. I suppose if I booked tickets when I was more awake, I'd appreciate the new policy more ;)

-GH

MFLetou Dec 20, 2005 10:25 am

I didn't think the fare is held. I once did that--put it on hold for 24 hours--and then came back the next am with the intention of purchasing but it came back with a different fare. I called and was told that my hold just reserved the seat, not the fare. I was ticked.

m44 Feb 11, 2006 4:05 pm

The 24 hour policy does ot exist - they grab the money and hold

Grace to irresponsible actions of one of the moderators with the long name I do not want to be here.

johnep1 Feb 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by m44
Would you have the exact source of the policy of making refunds anytime within 24 hours.?
They grabbed my money and although I cancelled within 10 minutes - they refuse to give back the money. Also note that they do not email confirmations immediatly, and you do not know what reservation you made until than.

As stated above, you can no longer get a refund within 24 hours of buying your ticket.

I really doubt that you have no idea what reservation you made until you receive the email from USAir. That makes no sense. What are you doing, just clicking on random buttons on your screen and then checking your email to see what you bought?

PhillyFive Feb 11, 2006 10:31 pm

Lets be clear...

US used to allow paid reservations to be cancelled and refunded within 24 hours. They did not hold fares unless you actually paid, otherwise your fare could (and, fairly often, did) change before you paid, sometimes down, mostly up, at least in my experience...

The new system is that they do in fact hold the fare for 24 hours on reservations not yet paid for. Book the trip and call back to pay within 24 hours and the fare will not change. Once you pay - no refund, so if in doubt, book, but don't pay immediately, just within 24 hours...

Some people prefer one version, some prefer the other. It really has to do with which system causes you to have to phone the second time more often - cancelling a paid reservation or confirming and paying for a booked, unpaid reservation.

GregLeg Feb 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Under the old 24 hour cancellation system, you didn't have to call at ALL -- you could cancel within 24 hours right from the website.

How I miss that system...

Brendan Feb 12, 2006 1:01 pm

DL has started the system which US quit. Even better, although DL says 24 hours, their Website let me cancel & start over 2 whole days later without fee. So it's 48 hours, then the following midnight.

m44 Feb 12, 2006 3:34 pm

There is nothin gto like about the money grab

Grace to irresponsible actions of one of the moderators with the long name I do not want to be here.

jerseyfinn Feb 12, 2006 4:06 pm

. . . they do in fact hold the fare for 24 hours on reservations not yet paid for. Book the trip and call back to pay within 24 hours and the fare will not change. Once you pay - no refund, so if in doubt, book, but don't pay immediately, just within 24 hours...

Philly Five is exactly right. The 24 hour rule is still there, but only as a booking tool. Pull the trigger and the ticket is yours. It is indeed a subtle change, but one must simply be more exacting about their purchase. I just purchase a LGW ticket calling in for the hold -- I receive a confirmation number and a firm price quote -- it was up to me to call within 24 hrs and complete the purchase.

Barry