Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can USairways.com reservations be canceled within 24 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:14 pm

Thought I'd come back - BUT NO WAY NOW!

Gold Preferred 96-00
Chairman's Preferred 00-04
Gold Preferred 05

In mid-05 I started flying United because of all the turmoil associated with the multiple bankruptcies. Today I decided I give US a try again so I book a few upcoming trips on US for next month.

BIG MISTAKE!

Wasn't sure about a date, but the fare was decent and I thought US has a policy of cancellation within 24 hours, so I booked. 4 hours later I called back to change and the India call center says NO Way! New policy!

I GUESS I DIDN'T GET THE MEMO

I wonder how many other folks fell prey to this policy change. Oh well, I guess I’ve learned the hard way. United offers this 24 hour policy so I just keep my 30k+ business with United.

US
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by djlndc
Wasn't sure about a date, but the fare was decent and I thought US has a policy of cancellation within 24 hours, so I booked. 4 hours later I called back to change and the India call center says NO Way! New policy!
Allow Reservations to be Held or Canceled

Each airline will allow the customer either to hold a telephone reservation without payment for 24 hours or (at the election of the carrier) to cancel a reservation without penalty for up to 24 hours, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the Internet.

US Airways will hold a customer's reservation without payment or penalty for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Purchased, refundable tickets (paper or electronic) will be refunded via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.
-----
From the Customer Service Plan.

Jim
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Each airline will allow the customer either to hold a telephone reservation without payment for 24 hours or (at the election of the carrier) to cancel a reservation without penalty for up to 24 hours, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the Internet.

US Airways will hold a customer's reservation without payment or penalty for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Purchased, refundable tickets (paper or electronic) will be refunded via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.
-----

Jim
United allows you to Hold for 24 hours or Book and cancel within 24 hours.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

-----

Jim

I was able to successfully quote the "Customers First Plan" and cancel a paid-for reservation within 24 hours, but it required three phone calls. I must say, the CSR I spoke with was one of the nicest I have ever had the pleasure of working with. She had only been on the job two weeks. She asked her sup who said "no". She asked another sup who said, "no". She even tried a third time. Same response. I asked her to note my PNR that I had called in within 24 hours to cancel - she did. I wish I remembered her name - she was the most genuinely friendly csr I've ever worked with. ^ ^

I called in the next day and spoke with int'l res - it was a T/A ticket. Rep said I hadn't called in within 24 hours. I asked him to check the PNR - he did and put me on hold. After a few minutes, he told me the ticket had been cancelled and I would receive a full refund within three business days. Of course, it took closer to ten, but at least it worked.

Anyway, as always - if you don't like the answer you hear, hang up and try again - just make sure someone notates in your PNR that you called in within 24 hours to cancel.

Good luck!

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.