Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of early Elite boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HP Gold
Lack of early Elite boarding

I have noticed in the last 60 days that us Elites are rarely getting preffered boarding. Typically, it occurs with group 1 boarding.

I find this discouraging, because, I feel that I earned my status, and enjoy the reward of putting of my luggage and getting comfortable.

When I do get the upgrade, it is no problem, because F always boards early, but lately, the upgrades have been slow in coming.

Am I the only one that notices this?

Edward
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LiquidLifeUSA
I have noticed in the last 60 days that us Elites are rarely getting preffered boarding. Typically, it occurs with group 1 boarding.

I find this discouraging, because, I feel that I earned my status, and enjoy the reward of putting of my luggage and getting comfortable.

When I do get the upgrade, it is no problem, because F always boards early, but lately, the upgrades have been slow in coming.

Am I the only one that notices this?

Edward
Really? Normaly when I board in F I immediatey hear the elite boarding call. Then again I also notice they sometimes ask those that need extra time to board and those with children under age 5 to board....then F customers. I also hear the above announcement to include F pax at the same time so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the madness.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought they made the change a few months ago - Elite = Group 1. No?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:55 pm

The boarding process is as follows:

1st:
Customer requiring extra assistance or with small children and first class passengers.

2nd:
US/HP/UA Elite, Star Alliance Gold, B of A Signature Cardholders and Group/Zone 1.

3rd:
All other customers in order of Group/Zone

They are really getting on us to board consistently through out the system. I'm sorry if some stations don't do it like they should. Just know we are told to do so, however it's hard to keep track of those that don't follow the rules.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Just landed in the LAS club after my hop from OAKland, and boarding went just like Joeypete said - Preboard/FC, as I was walking down the jetway, I heard the gate agent call out the elite and Star Golds.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
My understanding is that Elite and F are usually group 1. sometimes they'll ask for F passengers first but I thought all F passengers were group 1. I usually stand next to the gate and board right after the F passengers, giving the agent my ticket and elite card. I've never had a problem. In fact, I was upgraded on an award ticket doing just that. The agent remembered my card and came back on the plane to bump me up when he had a no-show.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:45 am

Yes F and Elite are in Group/Zone 1 however FC is supposed to board first. CO is very strict about that too. In fact they board FC and Elites before disabled (unless they do a silent preboard).

You got lucky being upgraded on an award ticket..hehe. Of course sometimes the agents fail to check the ticket and make sure you are on a paid ticket. I always check but we work CO too and they will cut our head off if we upgrade elite's on reward tickets. Their system is a little more advanced though and checks the fare to make sure it's an eligible ticket. Pretty smart...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:52 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Joeypete
The boarding process is as follows:

1st:
Customer requiring extra assistance or with small children and first class passengers.

2nd:
US/HP/UA Elite, Star Alliance Gold, B of A Signature Cardholders and Group/Zone 1.

3rd:
All other customers in order of Group/Zone
Last two flights had Pre-Board, Elite, and F load together @ LAS & PHX. Wheelchairs went onboard unannounced.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I believe this is the best order.
  • "Silent boarding" of those in wheelchairs. The GA shouldn't leave the gate door open becuase people key in on that and start rushing the gate.
  • First class pax
  • HP Elite pax( I guess that would include the US folks now)
  • Star elite pax
  • Group1 and so on....

I don't see why HP has such a consistency problem with boarding. One would think it's rocket science the way they keep messing it up.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: HP, UA, SW
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I believe this is the best order.
  • "Silent boarding" of those in wheelchairs. The GA shouldn't leave the gate door open becuase people key in on that and start rushing the gate.
  • First class pax
  • HP Elite pax( I guess that would include the US folks now)
  • Star elite pax
  • Group1 and so on....

I don't see why HP has such a consistency problem with boarding. One would think it's rocket science the way they keep messing it up.
I have been reading this thread for the past couple of days and I too have noticed the gate folks have stopped boarding the elite program members in advance of the rest of the passengers. Having said this, I paid particular attention this morning in LAS. I watched several flights board and, as pointed out above, they boarded folks with kids, those needed a little extra time/help and first class. Never was there a mention on several flights regarding elite members. If Zone 1 is only elite members then they are missing an incredable marketing tool by not mentioning the programs members as it is always good to be recognized for something! In addition to that on a LAX flight after the F boarding, they began with Zone 1 AND 2. Again, not recognizing the elite members. This is not good marketing. I am sure this is the same process at SNA as well.

HP should not have to be told that recognizing their Elite Members will further build brand loyalty. I think their marketing people are much smarter than that. They need to get on board (pun intended) with the program!
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:09 pm

Programs: HP Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
There is more thought to this than I think we are giving them credit for.

I generally fly business routes but occasionally go to HP cities that have very few elites. My observation is that they make a judgement call to pre-board elites based on how many of them are on the flight.

It makes no sense to preboard elites on a heavily traveled business route when 45 of the 100 pax are Silver and up. It creates a WN "Group A" boarding mob. I've witnessed novice gate attendants preboarding elites on a 7am PHX-LA flight and 75% of the plane walks up to the door -- boarding is chaos and the flight invariably leaves late.

If there's only a handful, then they let them go on with the F pax. If it's full of business travelers, only board F early. It makes complete sense to me and I'm all for it so the plane leaves on time.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HP Gold
[QUOTE=Phobank]There is more thought to this than I think we are giving them credit for.

I generally fly business routes but occasionally go to HP cities that have very few elites. My observation is that they make a judgement call to pre-board elites based on how many of them are on the flight.

It makes no sense to preboard elites on a heavily traveled business route when 45 of the 100 pax are Silver and up. It creates a WN "Group A" boarding mob. I've witnessed novice gate attendants preboarding elites on a 7am PHX-LA flight and 75% of the plane walks up to the door -- boarding is chaos and the flight invariably leaves late.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I fly from LAX via LAS, and PHX (obviously) to DTW, DFW, EWR, ORD, and some others. I feel like I'm getting robbed at each of them. I can't recall ANY flight I was on, where, the majority of the crowd, much lesst 10% were Elites. I will admit that I tend to fly after 12 noon.

When they board Group 1, it seems like it also includes those that are sitting in the back area of the plane. Can anyone confirm this?

The reason about the importance was mentioned by someone else previously, (marketing) but I truly learned to appreciate the ability to early board when I earned my status via BIS miles (Butt in Seat).

I think when they do an exclusive boarding for Elites, the normal PAX tend to stand back, however with a Group 1 boarding, its the mob mentality.

I guess I'll write my opinion in a letter, I just have no idea who to address it to.

Edward
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:01 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Send it to Doug Parker.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: HP Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Other than the previously mentioned commuter flights, I never pay any attention to the announcements. If I'm on a mid-afternoon PHX to DFW or SAT, I just walk up after an extended pause after the gate agent calls for F. They've never turned me away; wait for the 8 or 12 F pas to walk on and follow right behind them before the agent calls for Group 1.

Post the results of your letter. Seems like, at the very least, they should offer an explaination on their procedure.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Is Group 1 on HP not just elites?

On US:
Pre-board
Zone 1 = First, CP, GP, *G
Zone 2 - SP, UA Premier
Zone 3-8 = General Boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.