Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa may reinstate PHX-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Look at BA's PHX schedule

That evening departure isn't by accident or even driven by desired flight times.

It's because cooler air makes getting a 747 out of PHX easier.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:20 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Well, that and the fact that evening departures will get you to Europe in the morning/early afternoon. If they left in the daytime from PHX, they'd arrive in the wee hours of the morning.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:25 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by chtiet
.... which is another rumor. UA does not "own" Star, nor do they determine alone who's in and who's out....
But they own US on this score. I believe the way Star does it is that the first airline from a given country in Star gets to approve or reject any subsequent airlines from that country in Star.

So, in short, if UA wants US out of Star, US is out of Star.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:15 pm

I agree that the Airbus maximum range is probably a best possible number. Fuel reserves for alternates, holds, and unfavorable winds will eat into that.

For trans-Pacific routes, ETOPS certification comes into play. (This restricts the range twin jets can get from an alternate airport.) Without an enhanced rating like the 777, the 330 probably can't be used trans-Pacific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.