Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could Ted be the archetype for a new US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
And United doesnt give free upgrades. We have to pay - be it with SWU's, CR1's, 500 milers or miles. This means that if we REALLY want it -hopefully we will get it . If not domestically - I can live with E+ and usually can prereserve the exit row. E+ is the biggie for me - standard coach as an alternative to FC,, I might as well be on WN.

Being PHX based I fly US metal too much - and I cringe when I cant get an SA at the airport and have to fly in coach. On UA if I am in E+, at least I am not cringing
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:09 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Upgraded 100% so far this year

I keep hearing about free upgrades. I have upgraded 100% of the time of UA with SWUs,CR1s, etc. There are times that I am care less so I haven't requested and I am always in E+. If I want a drink, I have the free coupons. As UAX introduces E+, that is one more reason to stick with UA.

Recently was in first in US and found the quality lacking. The leather seats have pen markings on it and it was obvious that they had been there for a while. The meal wasn't bad but not innovative or even interesting.

Unless you are at the top tier, most of the free upgrade options don't happen on thed other airlines.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by CLTFlyer
No idea how European carriers got everyone to play ball with the convertible cabin idea.
It was launched on Nov 1, 1981 by SAS and its popularity had a rapid domino effect throughout the European industry, so by 1983 or 4 it had been copied by everyone. SAS canned F class and offered Euroclass (C class) to anyone paying full fare coach. Business travellers were happy as punch. In the past they could not get their companies to pay the relatively small premium for the exclusive F cabin and there was no upgrading like in the US. Now the revolution was that everyone got better service on board and lounges if they paid the full fare coach equivalent, but not necessarily a better seat. Now they are formally blocking middle seats or providing the convertible seats.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:41 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I keep hearing about free upgrades. I have upgraded 100% of the time of UA with SWUs,CR1s, etc.
Well, sure, if you're 1K I'm sure you wind up with all of those. But us peon elites never end up with enough of those... so free upgrades are a nice perk, especially if all you require from F is a bigger seat and more room. I'm 1-for-1 on HP right now.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Gold
I will quit US
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by gnaget
It was launched on Nov 1, 1981 by SAS and its popularity had a rapid domino effect throughout the European industry, so by 1983 or 4 it had been copied by everyone.
Thanks gnaget - I had a chance to ride something similar on Dan-Air (before the BA takeover) from LGW to CDG - and the method of seat blocking was a huge plastic tray like thing that had cupholders and space for drinks and whatever else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.