Miles for Reaccommodated Flight

Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Miles for Reaccommodated Flight

This has probably been addressed before and sorry if I've missed it. I was recently reaccommodated by US onto another airline. I have checked my DM account and the miles for this flight have not posted (and I am assuming at this point that they are not going to). Am I entitled to DM for these flights and, if so, how do I go about getting them? Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
from the US web site:

In the event your original US Airways flight is canceled, and you are rescheduled on a new US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle flight, you will receive mileage credit for the new itinerary. If you are rescheduled on another carrier that is not a partner in our program, you will receive mileage credit for your originally scheduled US Airways flight(s). If you elect not to travel, you will not receive mileage credit.

Just log in to your account and enter the ticket number, hopefully it will work. The online request form for mileage credit requests is more sophisticated than it used to be....you might be able to do it on there now but if not, you might have to fax the other airline's boarding passes to the DMSC for consideration with a short explanation (the US ticket number might help).

Believe it or not, one time my DCA-IND was cancelled and I was put on NW DCA-DTW-IND, and my next DM statement actually showed the NW flights and associated mileage! Because I got a couple more miles this way, I didn't complain. My NW boarding passes even had my US DM number on them.....I have no idea what was up with that! (I would have liked to have gotten NW miles as well as the US miles.) As noted above, the current protocol is different than what happened to me 7 years ago though....
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:12 pm

This happened to me recently, but I wasn't able to get the credit online. I had to call and the mileage was posted to my account the next day.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, this is very helpful. Not to sound too greedy, but I am hoping that the miles will not post just as "bonus miles." Rather, I am hoping that I will actually get credit for "preferred miles" or "preferred segments." What are the chances of this happening? Thanks again.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: Free Agent
You'll get credit just the same as if you'd have flown the segments. This has happened to me a few times. Occasionally you can get credit with the other airline, too. It doesn't hurt to try!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
You'll get credit just the same as if you'd have flown the segments. This has happened to me a few times. Occasionally you can get credit with the other airline, too. It doesn't hurt to try!
Indeed! Last year UA rerouted me on DL CAK-CVG-DSM when my connection through ORD went to pot. I had my US DM number in the reservation. At the DL counter in CAK, they asked me if I had a SkyMiles number to put in the reservation--I did and so I got credit on DL for the flights to DSM. The return on UA was uneventful except for a 3-hour delay at ORD (thunderstorms in July, who'da thunk it?) and the miles posted to US just as they should have. I put in a missing mileage request to UA just to see what would happen, figuring they would credit my US account, and what do you know--they credited my UA account for both the outbound and return as well as awarding me the united.com online booking bonus, which I'm not sure I should have gotten since I booked the trip on united.com on UA metal but with my US DM number. I figure it's just good come-uppance though....since US and UA don't codeshare out of CAK, you can never get one airline's booking bonus for booking a ticket that involves the other, so that 1000 mile bonus made up for past bonuses lost. So in summary, I got both DL and UA credit on the trip out, and both US and UA credit on the way back.

Point is it is certainly possible to get credit on the carrier you were rebooked on as well as US. It is even possible there might be weirdness and extra segments might get credited if someone's asleep at the switch!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
OK, how about this. Last week I flew PHL-MIA on US, MIA-IAD on UA, and intended to fly IAD-PHL, all on non-refundable one-way tickets, but due to weather the last flight cancelled. The later UA flight was already overbooked by 10 due to a prior cancel, so I just refunded that leg (allowed due to the cancel) and rented a car back. And promptly sat in traffic for almost 4 hours.

Should I attempt mileage credit, even though I refunded the last segment? My thinking is it won't work, and it being 500 preferred miles I won't lose sleep over it, but I thought I'd ask ...
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by phlwookie
OK, how about this. Last week I flew PHL-MIA on US, MIA-IAD on UA, and intended to fly IAD-PHL, all on non-refundable one-way tickets, but due to weather the last flight cancelled. The later UA flight was already overbooked by 10 due to a prior cancel, so I just refunded that leg (allowed due to the cancel) and rented a car back. And promptly sat in traffic for almost 4 hours.

Should I attempt mileage credit, even though I refunded the last segment? My thinking is it won't work, and it being 500 preferred miles I won't lose sleep over it, but I thought I'd ask ...

What happened with this? Has anyone been able to request mileage for a flight booked but never flown (and not refunded)?

Also, what about US miles posting from missed United flights...can US still assist with this matter?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What happened with this? Has anyone been able to request mileage for a flight booked but never flown (and not refunded)?
If you don't actually fly the trip, you don't get the miles. Thus, the famous ART Picnic Table.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.