LGW arrival lounge

 
Old May 14, 2005, 5:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 152
LGW arrival lounge

I am heading to LGW later this week arrive 8:30am - co-workers don't arrive until 11:30a - no US status but hoping to us an upgrade voucher day of - if I don't get the upgrade is there any other way to get into the arrival lounge - pass, etc.

Thanks
-T
Tmstewar2 is offline  
Old May 14, 2005, 6:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,371
I believe Chairman's Preferred members who are not flying in Envoy can buy a pass for 25 pounds (I think). I've used the lounge twice now ... the staff is excellent and very helpful!
USFlyerUS is online now  
Old May 14, 2005, 10:32 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by Tmstewar2
I am heading to LGW later this week arrive 8:30am - co-workers don't arrive until 11:30a - no US status but hoping to us an upgrade voucher day of - if I don't get the upgrade is there any other way to get into the arrival lounge - pass, etc.

Thanks
-T

If you dont get upgraded, you may want to consider some things:

These days, the best that the LGW Arrivals Lounge offers are the outstanding, gracious employees. US Airways no longer offers the nice shower amenity kits. To me, it's not worth paying 25 pounds to use the Arrivals Lounge. Last time I was there in April 2005, the lounge employees who I know well were telling me that their supervisor was going to inform US Airways of the light loads they have been having due to all the cutbacks.
fly747first is offline  
Old May 14, 2005, 10:56 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by fly747first
If you dont get upgraded, you may want to consider some things:

These days, the best that the LGW Arrivals Lounge offers are the outstanding, gracious employees. US Airways no longer offers the nice shower amenity kits. To me, it's not worth paying 25 pounds to use the Arrivals Lounge. Last time I was there in April 2005, the lounge employees who I know well were telling me that their supervisor was going to inform US Airways of the light loads they have been having due to all the cutbacks.
so what do you get to take a shower with? what other airlines use the lounge?
sts603 is offline  
Old May 15, 2005, 11:55 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 152
I agree I don't think it would be worth 25 pounds - I was just hoping to have a nice place to relax and freshen up while waiting for my travel companions to arrive - is there not a pass out there I can barter for to get in if not upgraded?

Where would someone recommend I wait upon arrival if I can't get into the arrival lounge?

Thanks for the info so far.

-T
Tmstewar2 is offline  
Old May 16, 2005, 2:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 759
All the airlines sell day passes. Gatwick is a zoo that time of morning.

If you travel a lot and do not have elite status with one of the airlines, I recommend you consider joining Priority Pass http://www.prioritypass.com/

Servisair operates a lounge at the airport for which I believe you can purchase a one day pass. Their url is http://secure.baa.com/baabook/baaboo...src=WLHR71&p=l
santarosaflyer is offline  
Old May 16, 2005, 7:32 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,242
I think the OP is looking to meet people after a flight. If that is the case the Servisair lounge in the Gatwick South Terminal is located airside in the transit area and is not accessable by passengers from arriving flights.

At LGW PriorityPass does not partner with any lounge that can be accessed landside.
wr_schwab is offline  
Old May 16, 2005, 9:21 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by sts603
so what do you get to take a shower with? what other airlines use the lounge?

Well last time it was just a tiny bottle of shampoo, not even liquid soap was provided.
fly747first is offline  
Old May 16, 2005, 9:45 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by fly747first
Well last time it was just a tiny bottle of shampoo, not even liquid soap was provided.
no soap?!?!?!?! that's ridiculous....
sts603 is offline  
Old May 16, 2005, 10:57 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,371
I was there 7 weeks ago and we had all the amenities -- soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. -- plus breakfast food, coffee, juices, etc. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
USFlyerUS is online now  
Old May 16, 2005, 11:01 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I was there 7 weeks ago and we had all the amenities -- soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. -- plus breakfast food, coffee, juices, etc. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
finally some reassuring news....granted, only if the SA UG clears
sts603 is offline  
Old May 17, 2005, 5:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DC|NYC
Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Posts: 3,201
I was in London last month and indeed there was a full complement of soap, shampoo, etc. Maybe someone didn't fully service after the last pax. I do, however, agree with fly747first that it's no longer the nice kit that you once took away with you but the supplies are still there.

Whether or not it is worth paying for is up to you. I'd pay for it. But then again, I don't drink coffee. When I land, a hot shower and a change into fresh clothes and I'm good for the whole day.

To each their own... I love the arrivals lounge!
EnvoyBoy is offline  
Old May 17, 2005, 9:26 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 582
The arrivals lounge in London is truly the gem of the US Airways network. They always have had full shower provisions, pressing service, continental breakfast, coffee, champagne, business carrols, etc. when I have been there. I also get my Gatwick express ticket there. As for the missing soap, I would say the best thing to do would be to ask for it (or whatever) seems missing. The GBP25 fee would be worth it in my view, but I suppose if one paid in dollars...... Anyway, there is no cutback in this or the other international lounges that I can see.
hilton-gold is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:51 am
  #14  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by hilton-gold
The arrivals lounge in London is truly the gem of the US Airways network. They always have had full shower provisions, pressing service, continental breakfast, coffee, champagne, business carrols, etc. when I have been there. I also get my Gatwick express ticket there. As for the missing soap, I would say the best thing to do would be to ask for it (or whatever) seems missing. The GBP25 fee would be worth it in my view, but I suppose if one paid in dollars...... Anyway, there is no cutback in this or the other international lounges that I can see.
Can anyone tell me if this arrivals lounge still exists? (I see no reference to it in the list of clubs on the website.)

If so, where is it located at Gatwick?

If so, as a US Airways Club member, presumably you are able to use it? Or, if not, what are the entry requirements?

Thanks!

AZ
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 1
gatwick express and arrivals lounge

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Can anyone tell me if this arrivals lounge still exists? (I see no reference to it in the list of clubs on the website.)

If so, where is it located at Gatwick?

If so, as a US Airways Club member, presumably you are able to use it? Or, if not, what are the entry requirements?

Thanks!

AZ


Would anyone also add if the Gatwick Express ticket is complimentary? Or just convenient to purchase at the lounge?

Thanks.
PHLchairmanNJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.