Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Upgrade “Shenanigans”

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

More Upgrade “Shenanigans”

Is there a American Upgrade "Shenanigans" thread? I am currently just Platinum. I was on was on a flight this Labor Day Weekend out of PHX and watched over 6 first class seats zero out 48 hours prior to flight and I did not clear. I then looked at the non revenue Standby List the day of departure which had over two dozen pax over the plane capacity. I checked in and did not end up on the First Upgrade standby list automatically and had to have the an agent manually add two of us individually and split our PNR since we both were Platinum. As I checked in I looked at the computer screen and could see 6 people did not check in for F and my mobile US Air app showed the same and it was 10 min prior to departure . I asked the boarding agent if F was full and she said yes and all check in which was a lie. I said well 6 people have not checked in yet and got a very mean look from her. I decided to wait by right beyond the gate door and watch the screen. I got some more mean looks and soon enough was handed two new boarding passes in F. I know for a fact at least of two pax adjacent to me in F were on the standby list (not upgrade list) for the flight. I understand there are different levels of non rev and standby but really think something odd was happening. I sure am going to miss the US Mobile web app.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines or US Airways? They still operate as separate airlines with some variances in policies, and it makes a difference. For example, AA has a PALL list.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: WFBF
US seems to have been gradually adopting AA's upgrade clearance procedures. Which are frankly awful compared to pmUS; I'm actually astonished that both my segments on Friday have already cleared, given that last time they were doing AA-style "maybe we'll upgrade EXPs at boarding time, but only if we feel like it".
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:44 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
American Airlines or US Airways? They still operate as separate airlines with some variances in policies, and it makes a difference. For example, AA has a PALL list.
I think OP's point is that gate agents try to screw paying customers out of upgrades - separate airlines or not!!!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I think OP's point is that gate agents try to screw paying customers out of upgrades - separate airlines or not!!!
This is very disheartening to think about. Why would they have any reason to actively screw elites out of upgrades? Encouraged from higher up?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

US Airways

It was US airways and I do believe a non revenue standbys were somehow getting the seats in F. And the boarding agent lied about F being all checked in already. I am also aware there are circumstances where non rev are allowed seats in F. But I think someone was gaming the system.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The OP got his upgrade anyways, so i don't get what he's complaining about? The whole "screw paying customers out of upgrades" mentality is laughable. You bought an economy fare, so you're guaranteed an economy seat. Nobody is entitled to "free" upgrades. It's only a privilege based on availability and a # of factors. And once USAir disappears forever it'll be sticker upgrades only for PLTs and below.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Centurion
I checked in and did not end up on the First Upgrade standby list automatically .....
If a code share (AA flt #/US metal) OP would have had to request the upgrade at OLCI; no automatic addition to the upgrade list.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Nobody is entitled to "free" upgrades. It's only a privilege based on availability and a # of factors.
You believe the defined terms and conditions of the AAdvantage program are meaningless and customers complying with the terms of the program can be granted/denied the benefits defined at the whim ("factor"?) of a gate agent?

once USAir disappears forever it'll be sticker upgrades only for PLTs and below.
I suggest you revisit AA's upgrade policy.

I will miss the US mobile app and the ability to see availability, wait lists, standby lists, check-in counts, etc. (not to mention the ability to "manage" the upgrade process to your benefit). Unless I missed a similar AA capability.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
When it comes down to it, there are so many different things that could of happened here so to assume foul play was involved with the processing of upgrades is jumping to conclusions.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
The OP got his upgrade anyways, so i don't get what he's complaining about? The whole "screw paying customers out of upgrades" mentality is laughable. You bought an economy fare, so you're guaranteed an economy seat. Nobody is entitled to "free" upgrades. It's only a privilege based on availability and a # of factors. And once USAir disappears forever it'll be sticker upgrades only for PLTs and below.
The point is that I often pay a few more dollars to go on US or AA in the hope that there is a chance of an upgrade. Once the positive behavioral effects of intermittent reinforcement disappear - ie no intermittent upgrade or frequent disappointment feeling cheated - then the benefit of staying loyal disappears.

It's not entitlement - it's a perk that is earned by buying lots of tickets and throwing extra business to AA. If I feel the perk which is explicitly defined and advertised is unfairly taken from me when I would have received it i feel cheated - as do most people. It's not "laughable" - it's human nature - and understanding that emotion is useful for someone in business.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steves
The point is that I often pay a few more dollars to go on US or AA in the hope that there is a chance of an upgrade. Once the positive behavioral effects of intermittent reinforcement disappear - ie no intermittent upgrade or frequent disappointment feeling cheated - then the benefit of staying loyal disappears.

It's not entitlement - it's a perk that is earned by buying lots of tickets and throwing extra business to AA. If I feel the perk which is explicitly defined and advertised is unfairly taken from me when I would have received it i feel cheated - as do most people. It's not "laughable" - it's human nature - and understanding that emotion is useful for someone in business.
Agreed. I am intensely loyal to US/AA. While I don't expect 100% upgrades, as ExPlat, I do expect a fairly high percentage as a reward for my spending.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
Interesting

My last flight through PHX (as a Chairman/ExecPlat) - I was 1st on the upgrade list and there was 1 seat available. I noticed some discussion at the counter and approached to ask if the remaining seat was available. The pilot said to the gate agent "Well, you have to clear him, you can hold it."

It was apparent that the seat wasn't going to go to me if I hadn't inquired and that the agent had someone else in mind for the seat.

I got the seat so there isn't a huge issue - but it is a bit interesting that even with a transparent app - you have to be diligent.

(it was a PHX-PHL run on a 757 - so the FC seat was clutch)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajfitz
My last flight through PHX (as a Chairman/ExecPlat) - I was 1st on the upgrade list and there was 1 seat available. I noticed some discussion at the counter and approached to ask if the remaining seat was available. The pilot said to the gate agent "Well, you have to clear him, you can hold it."

It was apparent that the seat wasn't going to go to me if I hadn't inquired and that the agent had someone else in mind for the seat.

I got the seat so there isn't a huge issue - but it is a bit interesting that even with a transparent app - you have to be diligent.

(it was a PHX-PHL run on a 757 - so the FC seat was clutch)
Glad it worked out for you. I have been #1 on the upgrade list many times and truly feel that I have missed an upgrade that was due to me for this very reason a few times.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ajfitz
Was that the pilot of the plane or a dead-heading pilot? I had an experience several months ago when I was sitting comfortably on a flight in my usual 1A seat. I was watching the upgrade queue as this one had an extraordinarily long queue (probably 15 to 20 on the list). It was the seat next to me.

At door closing time the seat was empty, and just before door closed, a DH pilot was moved from Y to F by the FA who then announced to the gate agent that F was now full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.