Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry On Limit not for US Staff?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by theddo
Sounds like a management issue, maybe give the staff 30 more minutes in that case since it's obviously okay to force the paying passengers to wait.
That's the point though. The airline isn't trying to make paying passengers wait. The sooner the crew ends their government mandated rest period, the sooner they can work again. Giving them 30 more minutes just delays the next flight by 30 minutes.
So the airline I entrust my life upon cannot go down and find a marked crew-bag to move to another plane? Seems trutsworthy enough.
Trust has nothing to do with it. Why even take the risk that you are going to delay a flight and inconvenience passengers while looking for and rerouting a bag. Even if you find that bag quickly, you have to have someone take it to the other flight. That person is now not unloading or loading passenger bags.
So do I? So do a lot of people, we cannot just change the rules for everyone else because of it. I need my rest, too, but guess what. My work ends when I leave work, not when I arrive home regardless of how I got there.
Not sure which rule or rules you are referring to. Does your job have government mandated rest rules? Didn't think so.
Well, then why is it an issue only for staff bags?
It isn't. Again you are missing the point. The issue is having a process in place that allows for maximum crew flexibility, minimizing cost, and inconvenience as few customers as possible.
The big picture is that I'm paying your salary, why are you more important again?
You aren't paying my salary. Not sure why you think that and I never said I was more important.
Most are, though.
Even if all delays were within airline control, why wouldn't the airline want to do whatever it could to minimize those delays and the impact to customers?
What does United charge for a coke these days?
United, like most other airlines, doesn't charge anything for a coke. The fact that you threw out such hyperbole suggests that you are not really interested in understanding the issues but rather you are more interested in criticizing just for the sake of it. That's just my opinion and I apologize if I have misunderstood why you asked that.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Segments
If my employer provides only a minimal per diem for meals, can I carry on an extra bag to bring along 6 days worth of food? Not buying expensive airport and hotel food sounds like a good idea. And my airport meals are even more expensive since I don't get the discounts offered to airport/airline staff.
Unless your entire day is spent in a SIDA area, you at least have the opportunity to purchase food outside of an airport or hotel during the day.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
I love how the industry points back to crew rest. No one else in the world has the ability to point to a rule and declare that an issue is out of his/her hands. And yet - somehow - every other industry in the world functions.....
That's far from true. Many industries have to deal with rules created by agencies such as the FAA, DOT, OSHA, DEQ, TSA, etc, etc. And the airline industry does function. Is it perfect? No. But if you don't like the idea of mandating crew rest time then lobby your elected officials to change it.

Keep in mind that airlines often schedule crews with the minimum of rest time so they meet the mandated time and nothing more.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Isn't there a FAR related to carry-on bags?

What does this say about crew bags?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Isn't there a FAR related to carry-on bags?

What does this say about crew bags?
Pretty sure that the FAR's talk about passenger rules and that the airline has to have a program in place and follow it. If the airline's rules don't limit crew members, then they are following their program if they limit passengers to 1+1.

While I realize a crew member traveling is a passenger, they are most likely considered auxiliary crew members and aren't part of the passenger carry on program.

Doesn't mean it is right or wrong and clearly people have very differing views on this but it's the current rules and the airlines are following them.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
Pretty sure that the FAR's talk about passenger rules and that the airline has to have a program in place and follow it. If the airline's rules don't limit crew members, then they are following their program if they limit passengers to 1+1.

While I realize a crew member traveling is a passenger, they are most likely considered auxiliary crew members and aren't part of the passenger carry on program.

Doesn't mean it is right or wrong and clearly people have very differing views on this but it's the current rules and the airlines are following them.
How would the FAA treat this?

There either are rules or there aren't, and the rules should be enforced uniformly. If there isn't a separate rule for, "crew deadheading," or even for, "crew traveling to Europe who need 3 extra bags," then they should follow the same rules as everyone else.

Over the years I've looked at airline forums here on FT, I've seen countless FA's claim that, "I'll be fined by the FAA if someone has extra or oversize bags."

Perhaps we need an FAA inspector to look at everyone on board, regardless of why they are on the aircraft.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:07 pm

How would the FAA treat this?

There either are rules or there aren't, and the rules should be enforced uniformly. If there isn't a separate rule for, "crew deadheading," or even for, "crew traveling to Europe who need 3 extra bags," then they should follow the same rules as everyone else.

Over the years I've looked at airline forums here on FT, I've seen countless FA's claim that, "I'll be fined by the FAA if someone has extra or oversize bags."

Perhaps we need an FAA inspector to look at everyone on board, regardless of why they are on the aircraft.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but here's how I believe it works. FAR 121.589 states that no passenger may board if their carry on baggage exceeds the allowance in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

So that means that it is very possible an FA could be fined if they allow a passenger to board with baggage that exceeds the carrier's allowance in their operations specifications.

What that also means is that if the certificate holder's operations specifications state that crew may have additional bags, then a crew member with additional carry on's is not violating the allowance in the operations specifications.

Bottom line is simply that the FAA says you have to have a rule and follow it, whatever that rule is even if it treats passengers and crew (working or otherwise) differently.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:17 pm

FAR 121.589 states .
Thank you for finding the FAR #, here is the exact text:
121.589 Carry-on baggage.
(a) No certificate holder may allow
the boarding of carry-on baggage on an
airplane unless each passenger’s bag-
gage has been scanned to control the
size and amount carried on board in ac-
cordance with an approved carry-on
baggage program in its operations
specifications. In addition, no pas-
senger may board an airplane if his/her
carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage
allowance prescribed in the carry-on
baggage program in the certificate
holder’s operations specifications.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec121-589.pdf

I take this to mean that this regulation doesn't apply to crew working the flight, but everyone else seated in normal seats on the aircraft (passengers) are subject to this FAR.

Back to the OP: I would report the incident to the FAA. US isn't following the policy that they have in place.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:32 pm

Thank you for finding the FAR #, here is the exact text:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec121-589.pdf

I take this to mean that this regulation doesn't apply to crew working the flight, but everyone else seated in normal seats on the aircraft (passengers) are subject to this FAR.

Back to the OP: I would report the incident to the FAA. US isn't following the policy that they have in place.
Respectfully, I believe you are mistaken. As a way of illustrating this, look at the carry on policies ov WN and F9 compared to the legacies. They allow slightly larger carry on bags.

Why is that material to this discussion? Because it illustrates that the FAA doesn't set the carry on rules otherwise they would be the same for all airlines. The FAA just states that the airline has to have a plan and follow it.

You, nor I, know what US's operations specifications state. So for you to say that US isn't following the policy is based on your assumption that their operation specifications state that all passengers, including crew members not working, are restricted to 1+1. While it is certainly possible it says that, I would think it is highly unlikely.

There are many reasons why an airline would allow its employees to carry on more than 1+1 so it is likely that their operations specifications specifically state this.

Lastly, as often as it happens, there is no way that it wouldn't have come to the FAA's attention in some way and that the FAA would address it, and we'd hear about it if it were a violation.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:40 pm

Respectfully, I believe you are mistaken. As a way of illustrating this, look at the carry on policies ov WN and F9 compared to the legacies. They allow slightly larger carry on bags.

Why is that material to this discussion? Because it illustrates that the FAA doesn't set the carry on rules otherwise they would be the same for all airlines. The FAA just states that the airline has to have a plan and follow it.

You, nor I, know what US's operations specifications state. So for you to say that US isn't following the policy is based on your assumption that their operation specifications state that all passengers, including crew members not working, are restricted to 1+1. While it is certainly possible it says that, I would think it is highly unlikely.

There are many reasons why an airline would allow its employees to carry on more than 1+1 so it is likely that their operations specifications specifically state this.

Lastly, as often as it happens, there is no way that it wouldn't have come to the FAA's attention in some way and that the FAA would address it, and we'd hear about it if it were a violation.
I'd leave any judgement call to the FAA.

Back to the OP again....
https://www.faa.gov/contact/
Call FAA toll-free 1-866-TELL-FAA

Report specific violations (Hazardous Materials).
Report information relating to air carrier safety or participate in other protection activities (aviation industry employees only).
Report Aviation Safety Issues (you may also email your concern for the issues listed below only).
Maintenance improprieties
Aircraft incidents
Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) violations
Report Suspected Unapproved Parts Online
Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) incidents or accidents (For more information or questions, please visit our UAS page.)
Bolding mine.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:32 pm

Carry On Limit not for US Staff?

Deleted

Last edited by GalleyWench; Aug 31, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.