Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-LAX morning flight: Catering? Aircraft configuration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
IAD-LAX morning flight: Catering? Aircraft configuration?

Hey all,

I recently booked myself on a US A319 from IAD-LAX (earliest flight out of IAD out west). I was curious about meal service on the flight - I assume there is but for some reason it shows the meal as beverage service, and all the other flights that day show "breakfast, lunch", etc.

Also, I assume this will be an older A319, and not American's newer retrofitted one?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
A date to look at it would be helpful.

Just looking at a flight in the near future, there are 12 seats in F, so yes it would be a US bird.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'll go ahead and move this to the pre-merger US Airways forum, since this is indeed a US Airways flight, operated with a pre-merger US Airways A319. I'll also update the thread title.

~Moderator
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
A date to look at it would be helpful.

Just looking at a flight in the near future, there are 12 seats in F, so yes it would be a US bird.
Leaving Saturday Sept. 12. Thanks! Just not sure if a meal will be served.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Leaving Saturday Sept. 12. Thanks! Just not sure if a meal will be served.
Oh, definitely. IAD-LAX is plenty long enough, and would always qualify for a meal in First/Business class, with the exception of flights past 8pm.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Aug 21, 2015 at 9:08 am Reason: clarified re: class of service
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hey all,

I recently booked myself on a US A319 from IAD-LAX (earliest flight out of IAD out west). I was curious about meal service on the flight - I assume there is but for some reason it shows the meal as beverage service, and all the other flights that day show "breakfast, lunch", etc.

Also, I assume this will be an older A319, and not American's newer retrofitted one?

Thanks!
There is no meal served unless you BOB. That is unless you meant to ask about First. In that case, it would be breakfast.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm still debating whether I should change my award to fly out of BWI on Alaska on their 737 vs the A319 out of IAD. Which seems like a better option?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:27 am

All depends. Where do you live and are you going in First or coach?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Easy shortcut: Everything showing 'operated by US Airways' gets a US config plane, at least until the October 17 changeover when all mainline becomes operated by AA.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

All depends. Where do you live and are you going in First or coach?
I am actually visiting a friend in the DC area the day before so I'll be staying at an airport hotel with fairly easy access to all three airports, although BWI would be a bit further than IAD. I'm flying first, used up some miles for myself and a friend (25k each) and I'd like to try and get the most out of it. That being said, there aren't many early flight options that Saturday so it's either the flight I'm on out of IAD on the A319 or Alaska out of BWI on their 737-8.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Easy shortcut: Everything showing 'operated by US Airways' gets a US config plane, at least until the October 17 changeover when all mainline becomes operated by AA.
Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:27 am

I am actually visiting a friend in the DC area the day before so I'll be staying at an airport hotel with fairly easy access to all three airports, although BWI would be a bit further than IAD. I'm flying first, used up some miles for myself and a friend (25k each) and I'd like to try and get the most out of it. That being said, there aren't many early flight options that Saturday so it's either the flight I'm on out of IAD on the A319 or Alaska out of BWI on their 737-8.!
I'm biased against BWI, and Saturday may be a high travel day since its seemed as a tourist airport. The kettle factor is pretty high.

IAD should be relatively quiet that time of day.

Neither will be particularly easy getting to since both are not close to DC proper (assuming you're staying close to the city). There will be Amtrak service to BWI that early in the morning. Metro does not run that early so you cant take rail to IAD. You could take the 5A to IAD.

I'd go with Uber to IAD unless someone has a compelling reason to favor AS's first class service to US's first class service.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I'm biased against BWI, and Saturday may be a high travel day since its seemed as a tourist airport. The kettle factor is pretty high.

IAD should be relatively quiet that time of day.

Neither will be particularly easy getting to since both are not close to DC proper (assuming you're staying close to the city). There will be Amtrak service to BWI that early in the morning. Metro does not run that early so you cant take rail to IAD. You could take the 5A to IAD.

I'd go with Uber to IAD unless someone has a compelling reason to favor AS's first class service to US's first class service.
Thanks for the reply. I've never flown Alaska, and was kind of compelled to try it this time, but I think I'll just stay with what I have. Since there aren't any premium options from the DC area like there are from NYC, I figure I got the most convenient nonstop option, so it'll work out!

Flying AA on their A321 back to JFK from LAX the next night on a redeye, so I'll get to try that out at least.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:45 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you considered the AA 738 from DCA that departs at 8:35am? There is also an AS departure at 9:15 am.

The US 319s do not have power or entertainment.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Have you considered the AA 738 from DCA that departs at 8:35am? There is also an AS departure at 9:15 am.

The US 319s do not have power or entertainment.
Unfortunately they don't show award availability for that - only nonstop options for the morning was the US A319 which I'm on or the Alaska from BWI.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:56 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately they don't show award availability for that - only nonstop options for the morning was the US A319 which I'm on or the Alaska from BWI.
I would take Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.