Wiki Posts
Search

Higher Fares when Using US Gift Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Higher Fares when Using US Gift Cards?

Don't know if anyone else has run into this issue but I have run into twice now. Unlike AA, you must call in to book US flights when using a US gift cards. Just like when using companion certs, they waive the call in fee.

Here is the problem. Before calling in I shop for flights and pricing. Then I call to book. A $382 flight becomes $402. Rep says it's because the $382 is a "web" price. They say they have no way to adjust. What ticks me off is that I have no way of paying online and therefor, in essence, I am paying a premium for using a gift card. Of course there are no disclosures stating this when buying a gift card.

Anyone encountered this and where you able to find a way around it? Thanks.

Last edited by Maz67; Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just a thought. Are you possibly looking on the web for 1 traveler and the agent is looking for 2 or more, making the fare increase?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is web only ticket pricing, on any number of airlines.

Some clearly disclose that it's web only pricing, others don't. The last one I ticketed did not disclose it was a web only price, but in looking over the detailed fare rules (I always do), the fares were: ALXARWEB/WEB, CLXWEB/WEB and PLWRWEB/WEB. THOSE are surely web fares.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Just a thought. Are you possibly looking on the web for 1 traveler and the agent is looking for 2 or more, making the fare increase?
Nope. Just one traveler.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is web only ticket pricing, on any number of airlines.

Some clearly disclose that it's web only pricing, others don't. The last one I ticketed did not disclose it was a web only price, but in looking over the detailed fare rules (I always do), the fares were: ALXARWEB/WEB, CLXWEB/WEB and PLWRWEB/WEB. THOSE are surely web fares.
I completely believe that there are web only opportunities. My problem is that they don't have the option to use a gift card online to get the web fare. My feeling is that they should either enhance their website to be able to accept their gift cards or dont, but honor the fare for gift card people when they call in.

I submitted a complaint with AA/US customer service complaint department. I received a response saying I would need to call the gift card division for this issue. Have been too busy to call but will try this weekend or Monday depending on their hours.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I had an AA paper voucher for $100 off and wanted to use it for a flight, but it couldn't be used online and there was a fee to call to book a ticket by phone. So I just went to an AA city ticket office in midtown Manhattan and used it for no fee.

Is something like that an option?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I had an AA paper voucher for $100 off and wanted to use it for a flight, but it couldn't be used online and there was a fee to call to book a ticket by phone. So I just went to an AA city ticket office in midtown Manhattan and used it for no fee.

Is something like that an option?
Doesn't AA say there's only telephine service fee if the ticket can not be booked online?

Ah, a CTO! Not many of those around anymore. Maybe at an airport?

But the issue is there are web fares, and AA either has antiquated technology or is unwilling to modernize so vouchers and gift cards can be used online and not mailed to a Florida office or...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

I know they have the capability to honor web fares in situations where the customer is forced to call in. An example are the US Air companion certs. No way to use online. When I call in I always get the exact fare I had seen online just before calling.

When I call them in the next day or two I will hopefully know more.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Finally was able to call the gift card line as customer relations instructed only to discover they can't help. Back to customer relations I go.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have done this lateley, but I used to get excellent assistance for the US web support desk with these sorts of problems. The number is 800-327-7810. Hopefully, they can still help with web-based issues (such as gift card payment) and at least set up the reservation at the web fare for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.