Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

5 hour red eye becomes 29 hour flight?? [early a.m. flight date glitch]

Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum

What am I missing here? Flight reservation on US airways says Saturday Oct 10 with 12:55am departure with arrival in Miami at 8:04am. But notification below us says its an overnight with arrival on Sunday???
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Obviously it's not a 29 hour flight, so the notification is incorrect.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you actually have a reservation, or are you just looking to make one? If you do a search for a flight on October 10, a 12:55 AM departure that actually departs on October 11 may show up. I believe that this glitch has been previously reported on FT.

If you already have a ticket, I would call US immediately to confirm whether your ticketed flight actually departs on the 10th or on the 11th.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 17, 2015 at 5:13 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Do not have a reservation but looking to make one. When I tried calling preferred desk the automated system despite 5 tries couldn't understand my FF# and so I gave up and went to flyer talk...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
If you're searching on us.com, flights shortly after midnight will be treated - as far as searching is concerned - as part of the previous day. So, as guv1976 mentioned above, if you are searching us.com for flights departing 10/10, the 12:55am listing will be for the 'night of the 10th, morning of the 11th' flight. If you're searching for flights on 10/11, the 12:55am departure at the bottom of the list, would actually depart at 12:55am 10/12.

This is not a "glitch" - it's just the way the US site has always worked (though most rational humans disagree with the logic).

If you want to pretend to be the web team at US for a minute, just realize that your search results are listed chronologically. So the fact that the post-midnight departures are listed at the end, after the evening departures, must "logically" mean they depart the next calendar day (after midnight).

Just don't try to use that same logic when searching for a flight's status. To do that, you'll want to use the actual gregorian calendar date. Because, well... just because.

God help you if your flight is scheduled to depart at exactly 12am.

---
Edit: Given how close this is to the 10/17 end-of-drain-down date, you should definitely re-confirm with US/AA after ticketing to ensure the actual date of departure. IME, US agents are very accustomed to the "what day does this flight actually depart" question, but you'll want to make sure they haven't adopted the AA scheduling logic by then, or mixed something up in the conversion.

Last edited by sjpmurph01; Aug 17, 2015 at 7:47 pm Reason: Extra note
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
This is all correct. US treats post midnight flights a being associated with the previous day.

You need to be careful about this. When I did a US red eye out of SFO a couple weeks back, the flight departed on 7/30 at 12:25 am but boarding began at 11:55 on the 29th. While checking in, I overheard a party of four in fits of annoyance to find that they were supposed to depart the previous day at 12:25 am....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You need to be careful about this. When I did a US red eye out of SFO a couple weeks back, the flight departed on 7/30 at 12:25 am but boarding began at 11:55 on the 29th. While checking in, I overheard a party of four in fits of annoyance to find that they were supposed to depart the previous day at 12:25 am....
I was traveling with friends on a post-midnight redeye out of DEN last year, one of whom booked his own ticket. When we all went to check-in, he found out he was on a flight 24 hours later than the rest of us. The mistake easily happens in both directions. The ticket agents at DEN said it pretty much happens every night for that flight.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
This is all correct. US treats post midnight flights a being associated with the previous day.
Wow...glad I came across this post. Not familiar with US, but about to make a booking there. I would have definitely been one of those people booking the wrong date
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you search for flights on September 14, it will include departures at, say, 12:30AM on September 15. However, the confirmation will say September 15.

I had this happen to me a few months ago. I wanted to leave late Monday night, and knowing I wanted the 12:30AM redeye, I searched for Tuesday. It ended up booking me at 12:30AM Wednesday. It turned out to not be so bad, as I wound up happy to have the extra day at my destination. But it certainly wasn't what I intended.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Wow, it would be really helpful if they listed the departure time as "12:55am+1" or something like that.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

So at what time does US Air "switch" from previous day to the next day? 4am?(are there even any flights that leave at 4am?) 5am?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by northernlights1
So at what time does US Air "switch" from previous day to the next day? 4am?(are there even any flights that leave at 4am?) 5am?
Latest flight I could find with the US system is a 1:10 am departure out of PHX to CLT. So, looking at timetables for Monday, August 21, it leaves at 1:10 am on Tuesday August 22, but is grouped with August 21 departures.

The single ANC-PHX flight maybe the same (departing at 1:25 am), but there are no other flights that day to compare it to.

Once you get past 4:00 am, you are definitely on a new day. There are several early, early bird departures on the east coast: IAD-CLT at 5:20, several BOS flights at 5:00 am, EWR-CLT at 5:00 am, and a couple early morning LAX originators to the hubs (AA flights).

Not sure what else would leave before 5:00 am.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Aug 21, 2015 at 3:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.