Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phl-tlv - swu

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
One other thing OP should note. Hard as this route may have been to upgrade in the past, with the merger, I would only expect it to be harder, now that pmAA elites can use their SWUs (post 10/17), or just buy C to avoid LHR (personally I don't mind LHR but opinions vary widely ).

This is a route I would argue is ripe for an upgauge to a 772 CIP, but who knows when/if that would happen! (even though the CIP 772 has ~ 40 or 50 *fewer* Y seats than the pmUS332!)
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Any chance your CK status might have made the difference?

Edit to add: presumably your CK/EXP status bumped you to the top of the queue with your pastor (presumably listed as a companion). I rather doubt OP's family, lacking the same elite status, would have the same fortune.
Us doesn't do ug lists at airport and they have to be cleared a few hours ahead of time. I think I was the first to call. C
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
My understanding is CKs are processed ahead of EXP (unpublished rule). Tho it's a bloggers article I have seen it in the past

http://www.loungebuddy.com/secret-ai...ltimate-guide/
+1. I would be rather surprised if they were not.
Im a CK for the last two years.

Ive never seen this.... but you want to believe it, go ahead,

On a normal flight I am stacked up as just an EXP, ordered by date of request. Period. (The only TATL flight on which I did not buy a biz ticket turned into a t-45min battlefield upgrade ain LHR on an LHR-LAX flgith...no special CK handshake.)

Now, during MX or WX irrops, CK agents WILL put me on whatever flight I want if there is a seat. If I am in F or on an upgrade, they will move me into a full F seat.

But this is NOT the same as an 'unpublished benefit where CKs are cleared before EPs'

OP is flying on AA flight, right? In November as I recall? He will not be served well by listening to someone's misconceptions about how they think upgrades used to work on US based on what was said on a phone call.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can;t believe my Nov 26 flight TLV-PHL was already cancelled. Maybe because of light a load, who knows.

They cannot book me on El Al to LHR and keep same day I have to move up or back a day. I can change to other carrier on same day but it forces a repricing, no change fee.

When it was US my family could get better seats even though in a different cabin. I always thought this was allowed, maybe not. My outbound still has them in better seats. I've never flown US in my life so I'm pretty sure I remember them getting better seats before on AA.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by duncfly
I fly this route a lot and I have trouble getting a paid seat in business a month out - often. I end up switching to UA EWR.

So, upgrades are rarer than the proverbial hens teeth here.
It's hardly my most common TATL route, but every single time I've flown it (6 or so times in the past two years) it's been oversold in coach and full in business. Wouldn't expect upgrades to be easier at all. US only flew it with the smaller A330-200 because the -300 didn't have the legs to reliably make it.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
I can;t believe my Nov 26 flight TLV-PHL was already cancelled. Maybe because of light a load, who knows.

They cannot book me on El Al to LHR and keep same day I have to move up or back a day. I can change to other carrier on same day but it forces a repricing, no change fee.

When it was US my family could get better seats even though in a different cabin. I always thought this was allowed, maybe not. My outbound still has them in better seats. I've never flown US in my life so I'm pretty sure I remember them getting better seats before on AA.
Can you cancel all of them (your ticket, their tickets) and start over?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

Can you cancel all of them (your ticket, their tickets) and start over?
My business class c ticket was 2000 and now 4000. I'm pretty sure an airport agent can change
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:01 pm

It's Thanksgiving. Airlines often fly a reduced schedule on holidays. AA is just getting to extending the schedule past Sept/Oct.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:13 pm

My business class c ticket was 2000 and now 4000. I'm pretty sure an airport agent can change
I was thinking if you could, buy the wife the Biz. Buy you and son the Y with SWUs - EXP has a chance to clear.

At 2k per ticket, I would have bought 3C. Purely personal value judgement.

FYI if you CAN find a biz fare for them on the same flights they should be able to upgrade for $ and waive the fees.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
This is a route I would argue is ripe for an upgauge to a 772 CIP, but who knows when/if that would happen! (even though the CIP 772 has ~ 40 or 50 *fewer* Y seats than the pmUS332!)
I agree. OR, we can keep hoping for an additional MIA-TLV with a 772 in the future. If UA can operate 2x 50J 772s from EWR, I'm sure AA could pull of a 772 ex-PHL at the least, if not ex-PHL 332 and ex-MIA 772. One can hope. ^

So I guess the plane will sit in TLV from 15:30 on the 26th to 23:30 on the 27th. The crew will have a nice Thanksgiving in the still-warm waters of the Med.

Originally Posted by phlwookie
It's hardly my most common TATL route, but every single time I've flown it (6 or so times in the past two years) it's been oversold in coach and full in business. Wouldn't expect upgrades to be easier at all. US only flew it with the smaller A330-200 because the -300 didn't have the legs to reliably make it.
Yes, I've been on this one numerous times this past year and it's always very full. Pretty sure it's been reported that it runs an 80-85% annual load factor, which si really impressive.

Last edited by econometrics; Aug 10, 2015 at 2:17 am
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by nova08
It's Thanksgiving. Airlines often fly a reduced schedule on holidays. AA is just getting to extending the schedule past Sept/Oct.
In recent years, US has generally not operated flight banks out of CLT, DCA, PHL and PHX after about 4 or 5pm local time on Thanksgiving - barring a major storm affecting multiple hubs during the prior day, these flights will generally be very empty anyway so it's usually the right move. Most of the eastbound TATL flights have not operated on these days. They tend to run more on Chrstmas and New Year's Eve, though more people seem to be traveling then so the cuts don't tend to be as significant.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
what about Friday night flights to TLV and Saturday AM return? ... should be easier to upgrade for the unorthodox (so to speak).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3
what about Friday night flights to TLV and Saturday AM return? ... should be easier to upgrade for the unorthodox (so to speak).
From my experience flying on these very days on this route, it's not much of a game-changer. In fact, most of the time, I have not noticed an unusual amount of religious individuals on the flight from PHL.

Also, TLV-PHL on a Saturday night is actually packed. 1. you have tours going back to the States. 2. It's Motzei Shabbat, so many who did not fly Friday will fly Saturday.

I've found Monday-Weds nights TLV-PHL tend to be lighter.

YMMV, I suppose.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by econometrics
I might be taking a step back in the progress of this thread, but what's the process now on the PMUS metal for SWU's now that post Oct 17th flights are all "AA" flights?

I have a TLV-DFW in early December and I'm wondering how I will be able to upgrade it? Just book it and call to apply the SWU, as usual?

Thanks
Yes, all US flights become AA flights after Oct 17, so all AA rules will apply. The only reason the OP is able to waitlist upgrades on this flight is b/c it is after Oct 17 (cannot waitlist SWUs on US before then).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Yes, all US flights become AA flights after Oct 17, so all AA rules will apply. The only reason the OP is able to waitlist upgrades on this flight is b/c it is after Oct 17 (cannot waitlist SWUs on US before then).
Ahh, thank you! This was my assumption, but wanted to make sure.

On that note, I'm flying 797 a week from today in paid J. Randomly, I received an email from US Airways saying my upgrades were confirmed to J. Quite odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.