No blankets allowed in US main cabin?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
No blankets allowed in US main cabin?

I was traveling on a red eye on US with a confirmed seat in First. My friend was traveling with me but on a separate reservation so I couldn't upgrade him. I told him to take my seat and I would fly in the back, but asked if I could have the blanket. He said no problem so I grabbed my blanket from him and then about a second later the flight attendant grabbed it right out of my hands. I told him I was seated in first but gave the seat to my friend and he told me "then you're not seated in first class and I have to take the blanket". He then proceeded to stow the blanket in the overhead compartment. Am I wrong to be a bit peeved at this? Is there a formal policy about this and if there is, has anyone seen it so strictly enforced?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The blanket is there for the benefit of the traveller in 1st class. Since you were not in 1st class since you gave the seat away, seems that the agent was correct
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
No blankets on a redeye? These cutbacks..
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I was traveling on a red eye on US with a confirmed seat in First. My friend was traveling with me but on a separate reservation so I couldn't upgrade him. I told him to take my seat and I would fly in the back, but asked if I could have the blanket. He said no problem so I grabbed my blanket from him and then about a second later the flight attendant grabbed it right out of my hands. I told him I was seated in first but gave the seat to my friend and he told me "then you're not seated in first class and I have to take the blanket". He then proceeded to stow the blanket in the overhead compartment. Am I wrong to be a bit peeved at this? Is there a formal policy about this and if there is, has anyone seen it so strictly enforced?
Sure the FA had a right to do it but it was a stupid anti-customer act.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Sure the FA had a right to do it but it was a stupid anti-customer act.
Maybe the FA was worried all the other Y plebeians would start demanding blankets too and stage a revolt.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by keitherson
No blankets on a redeye? These cutbacks..
Imagine the cleaning they get with all the cutbacks. No, I skip my blanket, even if it is wrap in plastic.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:16 am

No blankets allowed in main cabin?

It actually is policy that blankets don't leave f/c but a f/a should always be nice when explaining it. Clean blankets sealed in plastic are changed out every leg with the exception possibly being smaller out stations.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:52 am
Suspended

I can't see that you have even the _slightest_ reason to be upset about this.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This may have been handled wrong, but OP hasn't provided the exact back-and-forth.

Of course F amenities stay in F. Means that FA's don't need to go chasing bits and pieces on arrival.

The FA was correct. OP either was a F passenger or he was not.

A better move would have been to have proactively asked and made it expressly clear that you would return it to the F seat on arrival.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You can't share the amenities provided in first for one passenger between yourselves.

What next, asking for extra drinks and sharing them? Swapping seats mid flight?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Odd, seems like you got a rude FA.

Was in Y from ORD-SJC last month, and happened to get a row to myself. Asked the FA for a blanket, she happily obliged.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
...Asked the FA for a blanket, she happily obliged.
Exactly-- you asked the FA.

The OP asked another passenger.

See the difference?

Originally Posted by nux
What next, asking for extra drinks and sharing them? Swapping seats mid flight?
Trust me-- some here would advocate for that as well.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Odd, seems like you got a rude FA.

Was in Y from ORD-SJC last month, and happened to get a row to myself. Asked the FA for a blanket, she happily obliged.
One of my happiest flying moments was sharing a couple starburst candies with a FA and getting a sundae from the front in return.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I see many Y pax just grab blankets/pillows on their way through F. Retrieving them should be done. We'll never know if this was the first time that day the FA had to do such a thing, but regardless should have been done more politely.

There have been flights where a friend and I got split up and asked for a non-alcoholic drink to take back to Y. I got stopped with the real-glass glass and said it can't go to Y. And the dirty looks taking my sundae/cookies back!!! Wasn't trying to start a revolt or anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.