Need some advice on ticketing on US

Old Jul 5, 15, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Need some advice on ticketing on US

I've been searching for business class fares to Rome in August from PHL. The R/T non stop is pricing north of 4k. I found a free for 2.4k doing EWR-PHL-FCO and FCO-PHL-EWR.

The outbound connection is only 58min, and the flight has a terrible on-time and cancellation rate.

Will they let me drop the EWR-PHL segment? I don't mind going up to EWR to fly back, if it saves $1,500 but I don't want to risk misconnecting in PHL

Thoughts?
Old Jul 5, 15, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The airline will let you "drop" the 1st sector as long as you get it repriced and reticketed, but you cannot expect to get the ex EWR fare when starting in PHL

If you misconnect on the 1st sector , the airline will be obligated to get you to Rome on another service.

For USD2550 ex New York, there are other options such as going via LHR on BA rather than backtracking to PHL which will allow you an easier connection , as well as being able to check baggage through from PHL to FCO

If you are happy to get from LGA/EWR to JFK , can get the non stop service from JFK-FCO at $2505 on the outbound

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 5, 15 at 1:22 am
Old Jul 5, 15, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by onic View Post
I've been searching for business class fares to Rome in August from PHL. The R/T non stop is pricing north of 4k. I found a free for 2.4k doing EWR-PHL-FCO and FCO-PHL-EWR.

The outbound connection is only 58min, and the flight has a terrible on-time and cancellation rate.

Will they let me drop the EWR-PHL segment? I don't mind going up to EWR to fly back, if it saves $1,500 but I don't want to risk misconnecting in PHL

Thoughts?
They will let you drop it only if IRROPs happen -- but IRROPs would need to happen early enough, before you've left for EWR. Something like a bad-weather day with cascading delays, not the usual "planes goes mechanical 25 minutes after you've boarded it".
Old Jul 6, 15, 5:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Why not just book a flight with plenty of layover time, or take an earlier EWR-PHL flight?

I have not taken a final flight on a multi-segment outbound trip; I just told the gate agent that I was not taking the flight. My return flights weren't cancelled but I had to get a ticket agent to do some things to the ticket (not sure what) to check me in for the return.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: