Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:25 pm

US Airways Chairman Preferred Seeing Fewer Comp Upgrades Since Combining Programs

So we are about a month in to the official merger of the US Airways Dividend Miles and American Advantage Programs. As a long time loyal member of the "acquiring" airline, US Airways and a top tier Chairman Preferred, I was disappointed to see that the complimentary upgrades would now be processed 4 days before departure compared to the usual 7 days. Another big change I have noticed is that before the merger, I would say I received an upgrade on at least 95% of my flights. Since the merger, the upgrade frequency has been reduced significantly (around 40-50%) and the upgrades that do come through, don't process until about 24 hours prior. All flights have been US Air booked, through US Air and marketed as US Air. I fly a lot and I am loyal to one airline so I look forward to my upgrades which seem to be few and far between now. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
I'm 13 for13 on Upgrades...

since the "merger"...but I am not wild about the 4-day window. Obviously, they want to sell seats....I don't blame them for that. Also, the 4-day window shouldn't be as a surprise because they announced it months ago.

Of course, as to the "acquiring airline"....you're joking, right?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
It's a business so of course they took the best profit sharing models from both airlines. Though there was a loss of some long time favored benefits for US members the upgrade in premium service and cabins I would think will be a great addition.

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Apr 27, 2015 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I received a thumbs down email today regarding an upgrade to a US flight that is 8 days away. I thought that was weird since it's impossible to get a thumbs up prior to 4 days out.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
I have noticed the same thing. It used to be that I would receive an email seven days in advance of a trip telling me whether an upgrade is available. Now nothing. You are put on an upgrade list and don't know whether you have been upgraded until you board the plane. Very disappointing.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I used to get those during the pre-merger period. Very odd.

Anyhow, AAdmiral Gnome granted me a partial wish this morning at about 4:30 with an upgrade to SJU. No upgrade on DCA-CLT, but I can live with that.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It's a numbers game; makes sense.

Other issue is that AA's revenue management algorithm is probably working hard to understand all the new US routes/demand patterns. Upgrades will open up further out as greater certainly is achieved.

Frankly I don't blame AA for canning upgrades 7 days out. I typically book my work flights 5 days in advance and I fly paid F about half the time.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:41 pm

Also, AA (supposedly) has a noticeably higher percentage of elites, so while the pond may be bigger now, it's also more crowded.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by nall
Also, AA (supposedly) has a noticeably higher percentage of elites, so while the pond may be bigger now, it's also more crowded.
I got 3 of the 4 segment upgrades on US (with companion) exactly 100 hours out. My last leg was a battlefield upgrade.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Upgrades on US Airways operated flights after October 2015

On another thread, it was stated that US Airways complementary upgrades on US Airways operated flights would end in October and the 500 mile sticker method for upgrades would be used system-wide.

I have still been getting 72 hour upgrades on US Airways flights (usually) and am hoping that continues through the summer. I just booked flights for Thanksgiving and Christmas on flights that are currently US Airways operated (to and from PHX/CMH).

Questions:
  1. Is the assumption that complementary upgrade on US Airways by November and December will end still correct?
  2. Is 15,000 miles + $75 each way better than 4 x 500 mile stickers each way with the chance they will not clear for an upgrade?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by remedy
Questions:
  1. Is the assumption that complementary upgrade on US Airways by November and December will end still correct?
  2. Is 15,000 miles + $75 each way better than 4 x 500 mile stickers each way with the chance they will not clear for an upgrade?
1) Yes. So far the merger has been going on according to schedule (or a little faster), so you should expect that the US reservation/upgrade system will be gone by late in the year.

2) I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but the miles+copay allows upgrading arbitrarily far in advance as long as there's A (or C) inventory available so you can lock in an upgrade way in advance of the sticker upgrade window.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by jordyn
1) Yes. So far the merger has been going on according to schedule (or a little faster), so you should expect that the US reservation/upgrade system will be gone by late in the year.

2) I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but the miles+copay allows upgrading arbitrarily far in advance as long as there's A (or C) inventory available so you can lock in an upgrade way in advance of the sticker upgrade window.
Thanks, Jodyn. You understood correctly, but two more questions as an AA newby:
  1. When to upgrades clear with 500 mile stickers if requested on the reservation?
How often are 500 mile sticker upgrades successful? I am at Platinum level currently. At that level, I have been pretty successful with US Airways complementary upgrades 72' out (thumbs up!). Since pax need to use stickers, one might assume not everyone burns them and upgrade chances are better if you apply for an upgrade using the stickers. On the other hand, with merged airlines, there may be a lot more pax seeking upgrades (CO/UA merger still fresh in my memory).

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by remedy
Thanks, Jodyn. You understood correctly, but two more questions as an AA newby:
  1. When to upgrades clear with 500 mile stickers if requested on the reservation?
How often are 500 mile sticker upgrades successful? I am at Platinum level currently. At that level, I have been pretty successful with US Airways complementary upgrades 72' out (thumbs up!). Since pax need to use stickers, one might assume not everyone burns them and upgrade chances are better if you apply for an upgrade using the stickers. On the other hand, with merged airlines, there may be a lot more pax seeking upgrades (CO/UA merger still fresh in my memory).

Thanks!
If its an AA marketed, US operated flight you may request an upgrade at T-24 when you check in. If there is an F seat available it will show on the seat map. Choose your seat and the US system will ask you if you want to upgrade-of course answer yes. If there is no seat available you can put yourself on the upgrade list. What I like about the US system from T-24 out it shows the list, the number of confirmed seats, the number of checked in and your standing. (Unlike AA which just shows the upgrade list). Another nice thing about the US system is that if you have subsequent flights you can upgrade when checking in at T-24 for your first flight. HOWEVER, if the first flight is operated by AA and subsequent flights are operated by US you will not be able to check in for your US flights and upgrade or upgrade list. You will need to see an agent at the airport; unless this has recently been fixed.

As far as upgrade odds, there is no set standard or percentage. Its all going to be route, day of travel and time of travel specific. However, over the past four months I am about 80% on US upgrades, much better than AA.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG100 Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Angry Where did the USAirways upgrades go?

I have been a USAirways Chairman's preferred for several years, and am now an Executive Platinum. Last year my upgrade percentage was very close to 100%. Through the first quarter of this year, it was still over 90% -- even initially after the FF programs combined it stayed high.

All of the sudden in the last 2-3 weeks it's gone to near 0. I'm taking the same flights each week, and they have always been easy upgrades. Now, the upgrades have all but disappeared.

What happened? Have other people experienced the same thing? last week I did see at least one executive Platinum know who did not get upgraded either. This seems fishy.

In the case of these flights, the FC cabin shows as full or very close to full before the upgrade window even arrives. What I expected to happen as the merger continues is for things to be more like AA -- holding more upgrades until the gate. That doesn't appear to be what I am seeing here, as by the time we get the day of the flight the FC cabin is full.

Are they selling the seats? It seems a bit surprising that all of the sudden they would start selling out all of the seats.

Another thing I should note -- I'm no longer getting the Upgrade Status emails. Not even with the downward facing thumb. That makes me wonder if something else is wrong.

Last edited by brianz24; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I think that RM is following the DL FCM program more and more... I am seeing a lot of solid bargains at A and P these days and grabbing them, far more than I used to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.