Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by CalNaughtonJr
I am AA Plt, today booked an economy (N class) ticket on US metal MIA-PHL traveling next Thu. For an unknown reason when I checked my itinerary I saw I was placed in X (FC upgrade) and assigned seat in F. I am thinking this is some type of glitch but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone lately?
Platinum members are entitled to unlimited complimentary upgrades on domestic flights operated by US Airways. None of the 500 mile limits as you find on AA operated flights.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:09 pm

Right, I should get the auto upgrade at T-3 as per the normal process. But I was auto-upgraded for a flight that is 8 days away, which shouldn't be possible.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2015]

I was auto upgraded for a flight at t-3 and I'm gold. I should have not been eligible until t-1. Even after my early upgrade there are still 4 seats up front to sell. It's a heavy leisure route so it's possible there aren't any more elites to upgrade and they determined it's ok to process me and any other remaining elites.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
For the past month I seem to not be getting any upgrade emails or get any upgrades period. I'm a gold (AA Plat now) and traveling with my fiancee (who is Silver/AA Gold) tomorrow, and we didn't get an email and haven't gotten an upgrade. The particular frustration is that there were 4 open seats yesterday well after our upgrade window and now they have all disappeared with what is most likely lower level upgrades. Has this happened to anyone? It's extremely frustrating.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by arrek
For the past month I seem to not be getting any upgrade emails or get any upgrades period. I'm a gold (AA Plat now) and traveling with my fiancee (who is Silver/AA Gold) tomorrow, and we didn't get an email and haven't gotten an upgrade. The particular frustration is that there were 4 open seats yesterday well after our upgrade window and now they have all disappeared with what is most likely lower level upgrades. Has this happened to anyone? It's extremely frustrating.
Chances are you were not high enough on the "list" to get the upgrades. There could have been EPs that hadn't cleared previously waiting on upgrades or platinums higher than you waiting for upgrades. Keep in mind also that sometimes upgrades are released one-by-one, so if you had two people on your reservation, you'd get skipped over in a case like that.

So no reason to be frustrated. Chances are you weren't high enough on the list to get upgraded.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I got an upgrade today but no e-mail. Interesting.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I got an upgrade today but no e-mail. Interesting.
That's considered the new normal.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
That's considered the new normal.
Folks on the AA consolidated board said that sometimes you will get an e-mail if your upgrade clears.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Chances are you were not high enough on the "list" to get the upgrades. There could have been EPs that hadn't cleared previously waiting on upgrades or platinums higher than you waiting for upgrades. Keep in mind also that sometimes upgrades are released one-by-one, so if you had two people on your reservation, you'd get skipped over in a case like that.

So no reason to be frustrated. Chances are you weren't high enough on the list to get upgraded.
But we should at least be getting an email telling us we didn't get an upgrade, which we haven't. These are for DCA-CLT and CLT-PNS short hops, and having probably flown a hundred of these segments, I've virtually never seen them hold back seats.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by arrek
But we should at least be getting an email telling us we didn't get an upgrade, which we haven't. These are for DCA-CLT and CLT-PNS short hops, and having probably flown a hundred of these segments, I've virtually never seen them hold back seats.
Emails haven't worked reliably for most of this year, so it's good practice to never expect them. There's no reason to be concerned about missing an upgrade unless you've already flown and saw empty seats up front. Availability for advance upgrades is far less than in the past, both because availability changes were made to hold more seats back until later and also because the program combination means there are more eligible for an upgrade than ever.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I don't know, I've gotten every email I've expected all year to a Yahoo email where I drop those kinds of emails. There's definitely some kind of issue going on though.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:55 pm

I ended up getting a confirmation e-mail - albeit 6 hours after I saw the upgrade cleared.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I can't find this anywhere on the US site.

For flights marketed and flown by US, are comp preferred upgrades still available on flights to SJU from CLT/PHL? I cant remember anymore.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I can't find this anywhere on the US site.

For flights marketed and flown by US, are comp preferred upgrades still available on flights to SJU from CLT/PHL? I cant remember anymore.
Always used to work the same as domestic upgrades ... from the AA site re: comp upgrades:

On US Airways marketed and operated flights:
Upgrades to the next class of service on flights within/between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii), Alaska, Canada, Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean

Looks like nothing has changed there.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yayh. OK, I've got a speaking engagement in SJU in a week or so and was deciding whether or not to pay for F or roll the dice. Its the 332 out of CLT, so its a nice ride for 3 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.