Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA & US Single Operating Certificate - April 8 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by rove312
AirTran and Southwest got their single operating certificate on March 1, 2012, but the airlines had flights under separate names until late December 2014. So the US brand can be expected to continue.
Agreed. I still wouldn't expect US to continue operating past the end of this year. The WN/FL combination was quite different since it involved taking a more traditional hub-based airline with multiple classes and features (and fees) and converting it into a one-size-fits-imperfectly product. They also recognized there were a lot of loyal FL fliers. AA won't need to dispose of US aircraft because they only fly one type, for example. And though there may be some US loyalists, it's not like things will be worse on AA. Unlike WN, which (for example) almost immediately removed XM Radio from FL aircraft after the merger, AA is moving in the direction of adding features and benefits (IFE, MCE, USB ports, etc), so it's mostly an upgrade from the stripped-down LCC model. I know that many aren't happy about unlimited upgrades being eliminated for most elite fliers, but the US F product isn't really exciting (sometimes kinda pitiful), and US Y can be pretty sad. I've had more comfortable regular (non-MCE) seats on AA than many US F seats. Imperfect, but I still consider the new AA an overall upgrade. I don't think you'd find many passengers referring to WN as an upgraded experience from FL.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok
Agreed. Employees of AA and US have posted on other websites that they have heard April 8.

Here is an interesting letter from the FAA about the AA+US SOC:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...rpretation.pdf

The certificate will likely contain both airline names.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Carl
Agreed. I still wouldn't expect US to continue operating past the end of this year. The WN/FL combination was quite different since it involved taking a more traditional hub-based airline with multiple classes and features (and fees) and converting it into a one-size-fits-imperfectly product. They also recognized there were a lot of loyal FL fliers. AA won't need to dispose of US aircraft because they only fly one type, for example. And though there may be some US loyalists, it's not like things will be worse on AA. Unlike WN, which (for example) almost immediately removed XM Radio from FL aircraft after the merger, AA is moving in the direction of adding features and benefits (IFE, MCE, USB ports, etc), so it's mostly an upgrade from the stripped-down LCC model. I know that many aren't happy about unlimited upgrades being eliminated for most elite fliers, but the US F product isn't really exciting (sometimes kinda pitiful), and US Y can be pretty sad. I've had more comfortable regular (non-MCE) seats on AA than many US F seats. Imperfect, but I still consider the new AA an overall upgrade. I don't think you'd find many passengers referring to WN as an upgraded experience from FL.
For each feature that may be added, there are things being downgraded. Poor food, smaller F/J cabins, less legroom, smaller MCE cabins, and disappearing buffers on sticker upgrades are all negative changes we have seen as of late.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Everything moving much quicker than many expected (certainly including myself.)

FF programs scheduled to merger this Friday!

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5898
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Everything moving much quicker than many expected (certainly including myself.)

FF programs scheduled to merger this Friday!

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5898
Interestingly, I found a comment from last October that says the ssme thing.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Interestingly, I found a comment from last October that says the ssme thing.
Wow! I had never saw that piece, and, until you linked to it just now, had completely forgotten that I had said that!! Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread title has been changed. /Moderator

Though AA and US might be granted a single operating certificate in April, the PSS / bookings systems won't merge until "later this year" (meaning different upgrade processes on codeshares, etc.) for that long, per recent e-mails to FFP members from both airlines.

As to everything being combined (fleets, all operations, etc.) some have guessed end of 2015 - early 2016.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
The FAA posted a bulletin today confirming that on 08APR after 0700Z all flights previously scheduled under the AWE (Cactus) call sign will begin using AAL (American) telephony.

So, it's no longer speculation.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I wonder why there hasn't been any cross branding yet on either of the websites? Perhaps we'll see that on the 7th? In the HP/US merger, cross branding happened VERY early on in the process, shortly after the merger closed, in fact.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
The thread title has been changed. /Moderator

Though AA and US might be granted a single operating certificate in April, the PSS / bookings systems won't merge until "later this year" (meaning different upgrade processes on codeshares, etc.) for that long, per recent e-mails to FFP members from both airlines.

As to everything being combined (fleets, all operations, etc.) some have guessed end of 2015 - early 2016.

So when agents give you the smarmy "well they are still two separate airlines" excuse, we can say "actually you're wrong".

Any reason this is in the pre-consolidation forum? I can never figure out those rules....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
. . .
Here is an interesting letter from the FAA about the AA+US SOC:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...rpretation.pdf

The certificate will likely contain both airline names.
Fascinating. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing that this is so that as a matter of operational convenience, AA can continue to publish and state "AA No.___ operated by US Airways" until such time as the PSS has been integrated and there will no longer be a need to have separate check-ins, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Any reason this is in the pre-consolidation forum? I can never figure out those rules....
These are Airline and Mileage Program forums (i.e. FF program forums) so my guess is we will find ourselves using the merged forum once the FF programs are merged (which is imminent)

That's just a guess on my part but I've noticed some thread housekeeping that supports my guess.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:16 pm

UA and CO shows the disaster of mergers, AA and US should be better

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
So when agents give you the smarmy "well they are still two separate airlines" excuse, we can say "actually you're wrong".
Good luck with that. All these years on UA and CO are still fighting like truculent whiny children on everything.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by copperred
Good luck with that. All these years on UA and CO are still fighting like truculent whiny children on everything.
ATL still has the UA and CO flights split FAR apart (four terminals away from one another).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:28 am

ATL still has the UA and CO flights split FAR apart (four terminals away from one another).
It's a merger that actually makes you wish for a subsidiary or RJ supplier, well except for CO's old in house Express. They think their fecal matter does not stink and are upfront stuck up to your face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.