Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USDM award: Spouse & I split between CX Business Cabin & First Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

USDM award: Spouse & I split between CX Business Cabin & First Cabin

I'm looking to book award reservation from US to Hong Kong for the summer/fall on AA/US miles, it appears that most flight(or all) only has one first class and multiple business class seats.

If I book first class for me and business class for spouse, would we be allowed to visit each other during the flight?

What are the main difference between Cathay first vs business?
I know seats are wider on first, usually 6 seats on first while its 40+ business seats, first class gets Krug & Caviar?

What else? It just seems better deal to book first class if I book on US airway now...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
You would be allowed to go from First Class to Business Class to visit your spouse. Not the other way round.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It likely doesn't matter, since your spouse probably won't be talking to you anyway if you book them in the lower class while you are in First.

Have a great flight!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:46 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Well put!!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It likely doesn't matter, since your spouse probably won't be talking to you anyway if you book them in the lower class while you are in First.

Have a great flight!
+1

The idea of even considering being alone in F and leaving my wife in J if there are multiple seats available in J leaves me speechless .....still, it's none of my business (no pun intended).
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Here I thought a marriage had broken down irretrievably because you two disagreed on who should fly First. I rather sit in CX J than to have an unhappy spouse at the back of the plane.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Have a great flight!

+1

The idea of even considering being alone in F and leaving my wife in J if there are multiple seats available in J leaves me speechless .....still, it's none of my business (no pun intended).
Well- not that simple..my wife used to get the F seat whenever only one of us was upgraded- the crew always reminded her how lucky she was to have me - giving my seat to her among other things- and, typically I'd get stellar service in J on those flights.

After the novelty wore off, SWMBO started insisting that the Single Malts, Caviar and better food were lost on her (she typically has a special meal request), and the better F bed was of lower incremental value to her than to me- I put up a spirited fight, but gave up soon enough
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have traveled with my wife several times in F/J config. Sometimes her in F, sometimes (mostly) me. She is thrilled to be in CX J anyway. I would not hesitate to get F when she gets J. Even if both of you in J, you won't be talking much anyway.
Major advantages are the bigger seat and better food/wine and I enjoy it more; I am much bigger while she likes to diet .
We pack a CX F PJ in our hand luggage anyway, so that's no difference...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
The First Class seats are much wider and definitely more comfortable to sleep on.

That said, I'd just sit in J if I can't get two seats. Just asking for trouble.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:19 am

To answer the first question, I can confirm what was reported by midlevels: F pax can visit J, not the other way around. I traveled a few times in F with friends or colleagues in J and this has always been the norm.

It's something I very much appreciate about CX. I hate that BA allows passengers from other classes to visit the F cabin and join their friends/relatives/colleagues "for a drink". On night flights this is often cause of nuisance to the other passengers who are trying to sleep.

You should also consider however that even if you are allowed to visit J, there is nowhere to sit down and have a conversation with your wife. You will basically end up standing in the middle of the aisle, say a few words and go back... So not much of an opportunity to chat...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by superking
... it appears that most flight(or all) only has one first class and multiple business class seats.

If I book first class for me and business class for spouse, would we be allowed to visit each other during the flight?
If multiple J seats are available, I recommend booking two J seats.

As mentioned by other posters, if you book one F and one J, it is more appropriate to let your wife have the F seat.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Gold
I just got one F and one J on CX 881 LAX-HKG for our vacation trip to Sri Lanka next February. I as the family travel agent and arranger get the F seat. My husband is more than happy to be in J on CX, as he says "CX J beats F on AA, UA, or DL". I will monitor and try to get him into F with me. But he's jusy happy he gets a "free" trip to Sri Lanka.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone!
I actually have not flown Cathay First Class, would love to try it.
From the feedback, it seems best to to book 2 business instead, what a bummer.
We're actually flying to different destination after Hong Kong

It is the norm for Cathay to only release 1 first class seat?

I'm looking to book before US/AA merge, it so it appears that I won't able to upgrade the cabin later if first becomes available and take advantage of US 120k miles if they ever release 2 seats?
Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
I'm happy to be corrected, but I understand that if Cathay is going to release more redemption seats, it's usually within 7 days before the flight. Sometimes it's even the day before.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you book an F and a J seat and present a marriage certificate to the GA, CX will issue a coupon good to pay for a divorce attorney under the law of either the origin or destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.