Wiki Posts
Search

Club Membership and Special Dividend for Spouse

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Club Membership and Special Dividend for Spouse

Perhaps interesting situation created by pending merger.

I am US Chairman - my spousal equivalent is US no status. I have completed and will send the Admirals Club notarized equivalency form.

I have had a Club Membership through US for years, this year I have my membership to the club system through the AAdvantage Executive Citi Card.

I have earned the Special Dividend through the DM program of club membership for my spouse.

So.......how will i get it to apply, it would seem easier if my membership was through US but since, in preparation for the merge, I enrolled through AA can I apply my Special Dividend to that enrollment?

I have sent a note to Chairman's email but haven't heard yet, given the challenges of the current process (45 minutes on the line yesterday trying to clear up an itinerary change with AA metal on US booking), I'm not optimistic this will turn out well. Thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:20 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

To get it to apply: log into your account. Click the 'your account' tab at the top right. In the 'toolbox' on the right side, the last one on the left is 'special dividends'. [If necessary, select the 2014 dividends button.] From there, find your 'club enrollment' and put in your spouse's info.

However, I'm not sure if you can apply your membership since it's not technically a US membership.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
I would suggest calling or emailing club administration directly and seeing what they can do. I have historically found them to be pretty responsive (along the lines of working with the preferred email addresses).

800-828-8522 or [email protected]. Hopefully not as slammed with call volume as the general lines are.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks gruss - sent an email to club.

Lets see how they do this, I can see everyone scratching their heads. Had i thought this through I would not have got the credit card until next year and maintained my club enrollment through US.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Same issue - AAdvantage Exec Card + Special Dividend = 0 spouse club membership

Originally Posted by Granitebox
Perhaps interesting situation created by pending merger.

I am US Chairman - my spousal equivalent is US no status. I have completed and will send the Admirals Club notarized equivalency form.

I have had a Club Membership through US for years, this year I have my membership to the club system through the AAdvantage Executive Citi Card.
After many years as a US Airways Club member, I got the AA Executive Card because it was a better deal for Club membership. I received the Special Dividend for spouse membership and called the Gold line. They wouldn't give the membership to my wife, saying it was good only for US Airways Club memberships. I wrote to the Club address, pointing out that ALL US Airways Clubs were now rebranded as Admirals Clubs. They still denied it, saying the special dividend was only good with a US Airways Club membership. This is clearly unfair of US Airways, but there appears to be nothing that can be done about it. Perhaps you will have more success. Let us know.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2015 at 8:43 am Reason: Close quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Agree....this one just affects so few people its not worth addressing. After a couple emails and a call denied.

In hindsight I should have purchased club access through US Airways and then got the card later in the year.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd call the Admirals Club number, as your membership is through an AA offer / affiliated card, though you'll be required to pay dollars or miles, as the household add-on is substantially less than a full Club membership. See here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Membership.jsp for money or miles rates.

Admirals Club - Contact American -

Phone: 1-800-237-7971 (within U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico) 817-963-6100. Fax: 817-963-6015 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday

Address:
4333 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 5307
Fort Worth, TX 76155

Contact e-form: https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEma...e=admiralsClub
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Agree....this one just affects so few people its not worth addressing. After a couple emails and a call denied.

In hindsight I should have purchased club access through US Airways and then got the card later in the year.
On the other hand it affects so few people that the right customer service thing to do is use a little common sense and take care of your top customers. Though now that I look, the Special Dividends page notes you must hold an "originating US Airways Club membership" to take advantage of the benefit. Looks like they hacked together some changes to that page on the fly to deal with the club merger.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by gruss
On the other hand it affects so few people that the right customer service thing to do is use a little common sense and take care of your top customers. Though now that I look, the Special Dividends page notes you must hold an "originating US Airways Club membership" to take advantage of the benefit. Looks like they hacked together some changes to that page on the fly to deal with the club merger.
Yes, this. But we're talking about airlines here...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just a thought. How much does your spouse travel with you? If rarely or never, it may not be worth the time to sort thru it.

I went thru something like this awhile back when I got married but my wife hadn't changed her name officially to my last name. I couldn't add her online because our last names weren't the same. I didn't want to go thru the mess as she doesn't really travel on her own without me, so I waited until everything was changed and then added her.

If your spouse has a few trips lined up without you, or is traveling internationally, then I'd think it worth it. Otherwise, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

She travels extensively without me (including internationally).

I will say AA Admirals club Affidavit of Spousal Equaivalency worked excellent, same deal, different last name though we live together - we got that sorted out in a few minutes (I got her added to 2014 Special Dividend which expired on Feb 28, 2015 which was 2 days later).

In the end i used miles and got a 2nd membership with the reduced CP level of 45,000 miles. Lets see them when i produce two memberships and bring in higher numbers of folks accompanying me.

I'm traveling in June with 10 people to Germany - how many folks am I permitted to bring in with a US Airways Club Membership and an AA Admiral's Club membership?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:26 pm

She travels extensively without me (including internationally).

I will say AA Admirals club Affidavit of Spousal Equaivalency worked excellent, same deal, different last name though we live together - we got that sorted out in a few minutes (I got her added to 2014 Special Dividend which expired on Feb 28, 2015 which was 2 days later).

In the end i used miles and got a 2nd membership with the reduced CP level of 45,000 miles. Lets see them when i produce two memberships and bring in higher numbers of folks accompanying me.

I'm traveling in June with 10 people to Germany - how many folks am I permitted to bring in with a US Airways Club Membership and an AA Admiral's Club membership?
Isn't it two guests each? Though admirals Club may allow more if they're "immediate family members":

Q: Can I bring my family into the Admirals Club lounge with me?

A: Yes. Members are limited to two guests or immediate family members during their visits. Immediate family members are defined as spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age.
The "immediate family members" clause is ambiguously written, but I've seen one member with spouse and two teen children admitted, for instance, and I've known of an au pair or nanny allowed in as well.

I'm guessing in this instance we're really looking at two members, each with two guests, and four who could access with a $50 all day pass (which allows no guests).

N.B. A $99 thirty day membership allows two guests... and I've not addressed status or class of service based entry as I don't have the relevant information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.