Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways elites getting 500-mile upgrade "stickers" (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Are US Airways elites getting 500-mile upgrade certs?

I remember them saying a long time ago that they would start US elites (not CPs) with a bank of 500-mile upgrades to match what our counterparts on American would have received over the years, so we can compete for upgrades without having to shell out too much money. But I haven't heard anything about that since. I've got about 100k miles logged in the last 14 months but I'm not a CP thus not EXP and if I have to start with zero 500-mile certs and no umlimited upgrades I'm going to be very annoyed.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm Reason: Retain original post title
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I have a feeling that it will happen when our AA and US accounts merge.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DCAAA
I remember them saying a long time ago that they would start US elites (not CPs) with a bank of 500-mile upgrades to match what our counterparts on American would have received over the years, so we can compete for upgrades without having to shell out too much money. But I haven't heard anything about that since. I've got about 100k miles logged in the last 14 months but I'm not a CP thus not EXP and if I have to start with zero 500-mile certs and no umlimited upgrades I'm going to be very annoyed.
I guess you realize that your counterparts on American have not only received upgrade certs over the years they have also had to spend them to get upgraded. Your about 100k miles over the last 14 months would have earned you about 40 upgrade certs. How many "unlimited upgrades" have you received over the same 14 months and how many certs would they have cost you with AA's system?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nobody starts out with 500 mile "stickers"; people begin earning them after 1 March and each increment of 10,000 flown miles. 1 March + 10,000 EQM = 4 "stickers" (they used to actually be stickers that were affixed to the ticket coupon). (March 1 the MTEU / miles earned toward upgrades clock resets.)

And it makes as much sense to hoard them as to hoard miles.

AA Executive Platinum members don't earn any. (Fortunately, the "stickers" don't expire, so they're there to upgrade a travel companion or to soften the blow when top status is no longer in one's portfolio.)

But all we can do at this point is to wonder if US statusholders will be issued some "stickers" when the FFPs combine. PAR/D may know, but he's not telling us. But, good luck wishes!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The announcements did say that 500 upgrade stickers would be given to US flyers to help them get started when they begin charging for upgrades on US flights.

When they would start the counter for the calculation, we do not know as we do not know the exact program merger date and full combined upgrade program start date.

Rasheed
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
500 mile stickers

I actually still have a few physical stickers around somewhere.... but I find it's bad for my smartphone screen to apply them.

I too am interested in this question, since I've spent the last few months working toward Chairman's through a trial, and would have earned 16 or 20 stickers if I'd been flying on AA as I worked up to that level.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by TritonFlyer
I actually still have a few physical stickers around somewhere.... but I find it's bad for my smartphone screen to apply them.

I too am interested in this question, since I've spent the last few months working toward Chairman's through a trial, and would have earned 16 or 20 stickers if I'd been flying on AA as I worked up to that level.
How many of those 16 or 20 "stickers" would you have had to spend on the upgrades you instead got for free on US?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TritonFlyer

Or not , as an AA challenge generally awards no stickers until the challenge is completed, status is awarded plus 10k miles are flown after that.

But if they've announced subsumed DM accounts are going to be "seeded", that's a cool thing.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
How many of those 16 or 20 "stickers" would you have had to spend on the upgrades you instead got for free on US?
I see your point, but it's also the same number that an AA PLT would save by flying on US -- all the while earning stickers through the AAdvantage program.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
I guess you realize that your counterparts on American have not only received upgrade certs over the years they have also had to spend them to get upgraded. Your about 100k miles over the last 14 months would have earned you about 40 upgrade certs. How many "unlimited upgrades" have you received over the same 14 months and how many certs would they have cost you with AA's system?

How many free upgrades have AA elites received flying US metal while also earning miles on their counter towards their next set of stickers?

Your point is moot as the airline has already announced US elites WILL receive e500 stickers as part of the merger. As OP has questioned, the timing and calculation algorithm is still unknown.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
How many free upgrades have AA elites received flying US metal while also earning miles on their counter towards their next set of stickers?
In my case, none, but your (and chris4096's) point is taken.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Stickers or Upgrades

You are correct that some upgrades came my way during the trial... interestingly, having been a mostly American flyer for some time, I am used to a system where I fly, and use my earned stickers when it is most important to me, instead of looking for them on every flight.

Over the last 3 months I have been about 70% upgraded (where available) and many of the flights I wouldn't have bothered if it cost me anything (100 miles flights aren't worth it)... I've also had AA metal flights with no upgrade...

In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter much to me, but I would rather pick up the 30-40 stickers I will have earned by the merger for use on companion upgrades than not. I expect to be CP/EXP for the foreseeable future, requalifying on miles and segments around the same time in mid-summer.

It's a wait and see. Perhaps I should just expect no 500 mile upgrades, and if I get some, I will be pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone remember the 1-799 mile paper certs from the Stephen Wolf days?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

US members to get a stipend of upgrade certs upon integration

I know there's a good chance this will be old or previously reported, in which case I'll immediately call for deletion

On the off chance it's not;

Legacy US members will be given a starting balance of 500-mile upgrades when the programs are merged-- up to 24-- based on their activity through Feb 2015.

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Based on last year's activity, or 1/1/15-2/28/15? Any place I can read more details?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.