Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thought us doesn't oversell biz class?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rpk113
Reading this there appear to be 21 in Y available.
I think the 21 empties are on the way back. Your flight down there looks 100% sold out. Trying to buy a new one-way ticket confirms this: they aren't selling any more.

Based on what others are saying here, it does not sound like an IDB risk for you. It's a risk of an involuntary downgrade, with some other poor schmuck in Y getting bumped over to the Charlotte routing. (Actually, with the CLT routing only getting people into AUA a couple hours later than the nonstop, you may get a few Mr. Middleseat-in-the-back taking a VDB.)

And to even get an invol downgrade, you'd need all of those other seats in biz (besides the FAM and pilot) to be paid.

Next question: what's the invol downgrade policy? Should be a portion of a fare refund plus....something??

Hopefully it doesn't come to this, of course.

If the three-year-old kid is flying on a paid A-fare, get him a frequent-flier number!!! You can do it right now...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by pinniped
I think the 21 empties are on the way back. Your flight down there looks 100% sold out. Trying to buy a new one-way ticket confirms this: they aren't selling any more.

Based on what others are saying here, it does not sound like an IDB risk for you. It's a risk of an involuntary downgrade, with some other poor schmuck in Y getting bumped over to the Charlotte routing. (Actually, with the CLT routing only getting people into AUA a couple hours later than the nonstop, you may get a few Mr. Middleseat-in-the-back taking a VDB.)

And to even get an invol downgrade, you'd need all of those other seats in biz (besides the FAM and pilot) to be paid.

Next question: what's the invol downgrade policy? Should be a portion of a fare refund plus....something??

Hopefully it doesn't come to this, of course.

If the three-year-old kid is flying on a paid A-fare, get him a frequent-flier number!!! You can do it right now...
Turns out he got downgraded... Will deal with US later
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
this is SOP for UA!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:18 pm

· Class 1 rest facility means a bunk or other surface that allows for a flat sleeping position and is located separate from both the flight deck and passenger cabin in an area that is temperature-controlled, allows the flightcrew member to control light, and provides isolation from noise and disturbance.
· Class 2 rest facility means a seat in an aircraft cabin that allows for a flat or near flat sleeping position, is separated from passengers by a minimum of a curtain to provide darkness and some sound mitigation, and is reasonably free from disturbance by passengers or flightcrew members.
· Class 3 rest facility means a seat in an aircraft cabin or flight deck that reclines at least 40 degrees and provides leg and foot support.
The 332 has a Class 1 and 2 rest area for pilots. That's nessecary when flying extra long haul routes such as TLV. The 333 has a Class 2rest area. On the 757 it's a Class 3 and the FAA mandates that both seats be open and available.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: WFBF
im a dm member. he is not (he's 3)

When I was speaking to inventory control, they did mention quickly a possibly govt employee (read between the lines FAM). so maybe 1 crew rest (still up for grabs) and a FAM.
Any time I here strange unsupported-by-policy excuses for a suddenly-unavailable seat up front, FAM is my very first thought.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by phllax
If you are using buddy passes then you are first to go, then if you are using an award ticket, then you are next for being downgraded. If you purchased your ticket, then you should be at the bottom of the list. In addition, non-DM members are above DM members in the pecking order within each fare class.
While someone on a airline benefit pass like a buddy would be first to downgraded there should be no difference between a ticket purchased with miles or money. They are both paid tickets. IDB rules come down to purchase date and check in times.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Can somebody refresh me on the US policy? Are the A fares instant upgrades or are they first class fares (Or those ridiculous fares that are labeled first class, are really a first class discount bucket but the airline will try to claim they are an instant upgrade?)? No matter which way you look at it, the OP got screwed. It's just a matter of will the airline tell them, sorry, those are actually coach fares.

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
OP, would be interested in what happened on the flight today. Can US downgrade a 3 yo child by themselves in a separate cabin? Also, a previous poster said that this flight was oversold in both classes - where did US magically find a seat to downgrade them into? Guessing the gate agent had some unhappy passengers on this flight.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
OP, would be interested in what happened on the flight today. Can US downgrade a 3 yo child by themselves in a separate cabin? Also, a previous poster said that this flight was oversold in both classes - where did US magically find a seat to downgrade them into? Guessing the gate agent had some unhappy passengers on this flight.
How could this happen? A three year old cannot fly unaccompanied by an adult.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Well.. They did it... My son was in 4c bulkhead (but his nice grandma sat there instead). The rest of us were in biz. how would one approach this? The two rear seats in biz were empty for crew rest. Only one pilot came back for a rest.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: kayaker
Well.. They did it... My son was in 4c bulkhead (but his nice grandma sat there instead). The rest of us were in biz. how would one approach this? The two rear seats in biz were empty for crew rest. Only one pilot came back for a rest.
How did they handle it at check-in / the gate? Did they discuss any sort of downgrade compensation?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am hoping that US actually DG your son and that his grandmother simply swapped, so that the manifest shows the 3 YOA alone in Y. Presuming this to be the case, US own policy on minors requires an adult seated in the same cabin. Doesn't matter that the assigned seat was Row 4.

1. You are due a refund to the original form of payment for the fare difference. That may not be much, but you should request it.
2. You should file a webform complaint with US on this and no other basis. Forget about crew rest, the two seats are required and that is the end of it. Don't even mention it. Make your complaint no more than 3-4 sentences focusing on the fact that US downgraded a 3 YOA so that he was seated alone in the Y cabin.
3. File the same complaint with DOT (via webform as well). The US policy, once filed w. DOT becomes a DOT mandate and US can be fined.

While there is no compensation beyond the refund, US ought to give a significant customer service gesture here in the way of miles/credit.

If you focus on what happened and not the lead up, the focus is on what US did.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:55 pm

Like micros, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when the agents realized they downgraded a child.

As far as compensation, I believe it is the difference between fare paid and full Y, but sometimes A is lower than Y, so knowing Doug, he might make you pay!

And as Often1 said, keep the complaint to the facts only. Your sons age was on the PNR, so they willfully disregarded their own policy. Based on everyone's experience with customer relations since Debra Thompson left, US won't read it on the first pass and will give you a standard auto-response cockroach letter. You will need to escalate it

Last edited by phllax; Feb 14, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by phllax
As far as compensation, I believe it is the difference between fare paid and full Y....
Indeed, that seems to be what they will sometimes claim. Interestingly, there is no mention of downgrade compensation in their CoC, presumably because they have a policy of no C oversell.

OP, push this, and hard. If US doesn't give you a really strongly satisfactory response, remember that you have huge potential for a sob story here that news networks would salivate over. It shouldn't take much before the negative publicity of downgrading your 3yo son makes the airline see reason.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
This just happened to me today. No equipment change. Paid F from ELP to PHX and J from PHX-YVR. Flying ELP-PHX-YVR got a seat assignment on AA from ELP to PHX (620a flt on AA Eagle) and could not book a seat from PHX-YVR on US. I was advised 2 seats were blocked. Went to expert flyer and 1AB were blocked from PHX-YVR, No panic, I figured 24 hrs out I would grab it. At T-24 I went to expert flyer and seats no occupied no seats avail.

Long story short. Went to expert flyer. Only seats left in F on AA/US thru DFW.

Went to the airport extra early, 330a. First in line when they opened up at 4am. Agent was nice and confirmed what US Airways said... "So sorry, Hopefully someone wont show up...", I was prepared and said. There is one seat left in J from DFW to YVR. I want to be protected. I provided the flight information from Expert Flyer and Voila.

So, Many keystrokes later... Trouble averted. I do really dislike when they overbook the premium cabin.

This should NOT be happening but the best choice is to make sure you get seat assignments and if you cannot... Know your options and alternatives...

Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.