Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thought us doesn't oversell biz class?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Thought us doesn't oversell biz class?

Just got this,....

Our records indicate that you are confirmed in Business Class on US Airways Flight 870 on February 14, 2015 from Philadelphia, PA to Aruba. This flight is currently overbooked in Business Class and we are asking for volunteers to reschedule to an alternate flight via Charlotte, NC or to Coach Class.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
That's definitely a new one to me!

Do they happen to mention what compensation they would provide if you took a connection or if you downgraded?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
No mention just either a connection in CLT or coach
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
They may have had an aircraft change or schedule change that affected people etc. As a rule they don't overbook biz/F

My first question is....what will you give me to keep those other people happy!!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are interested, follow the instructions and find out what they are offering. Take it if it's a good deal. If not, ignore the message, hope they find somebody else or that the fickle finger of fate doesn't land on you.

Equpt. substitution is most likely reason for this. A routine overbooking and they'd wait for the gate to sort it out.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are interested, follow the instructions and find out what they are offering. Take it if it's a good deal. If not, ignore the message, hope they find somebody else or that the fickle finger of fate doesn't land on you.

Equpt. substitution is most likely reason for this. A routine overbooking and they'd wait for the gate to sort it out.
Two interesting things..

I spoke to them. no equipment change, genuine overbooking..
We are a party of 6 in a 12 seat cabin.. so we are half of it with two smaller children. So per inventory control, we are not "ideal" candidates. but I'm not that trusting..
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:24 am

Before you do anything you need to make sure they are following their own written protocols for overbooking of F. Call in, ask for a supervisor and ask them if they are.

If you are using buddy passes then you are first to go, then if you are using an award ticket, then you are next for being downgraded. If you purchased your ticket, then you should be at the bottom of the list. In addition, non-DM members are above DM members in the pecking order within each fare class.

Whatever you do, make sure to check in at exactly T-24, as if they do not get volunteers, they also use check-in times when having to downgrade.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:33 am

Going through CLT isn't even an option tomorrow as FC is oversold.

In this case I think someone forgot when they loaded the schedule that 2 seats needed to be blocked for pilot rest on this flight. Seems that most days in this month they have it booked to 12 but only authorized to 10.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onic
Going through CLT isn't even an option tomorrow as FC is oversold.

In this case I think someone forgot when they loaded the schedule that 2 seats needed to be blocked for pilot rest on this flight. Seems that most days in this month they have it booked to 12 but only authorized to 10.
Wont let me check in online..
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phllax
Before you do anything you need to make sure they are following their own written protocols for overbooking of F. Call in, ask for a supervisor and ask them if they are.

If you are using buddy passes then you are first to go, then if you are using an award ticket, then you are next for being downgraded. If you purchased your ticket, then you should be at the bottom of the list. In addition, non-DM members are above DM members in the pecking order within each fare class.

Whatever you do, make sure to check in at exactly T-24, as if they do not get volunteers, they also use check-in times when having to downgrade.
At the time, we purchased A class fares. (it was First class back then)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rpk113
Wont let me check in online..
Uh oh.

Are there seats available in Y? What does US usually do here? Downgrade the F pax and IDB some Y pax? Or just IDB the people who paid for A fares, which presumably are higher than most coach fares?

Last time I couldn't OLCI, I was on a coach award with no native status. It was an easy call: I ended up as the IDB. But this should not happen to someone with paid A-fares. I wouldn't think...

In March, we have a PHX-MCI flight: three of us in Y on paid seats and my wife in F on an award. The flight is 100% sold out and all seats in F appear to have been assigned. The three of us in Y have good seat assignments thanks to my AA Gold status, but she has no status, no seat, and is on an award. Fortunately, we're visiting her parents who have a condo there, so it's not the end of the world if a seat doesn't open up and she gets IDBed, even for a day or two. But it's clear that US *does* overbook F on occasion. I even asked about this one while I was in the club last week - they confirmed no seats available.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Reading this there appear to be 21 in Y available.

https://mobile.usairways.com/mt/chec...e%3D2015-02-14

From what I understand, yes they will IDB a Y fare and put the A fare in coach.. I called inventory control to make sure they were following the right pecking order.

Whats funny about the whole situation, is that the person I my res without a seat is my 3yo son..
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:29 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Why do they need 2 pilot rest seats for this trip? I realize one crew typically flies down and back in the same day, earning them about 9 hours block time for the roundtrip. But even on long TA trips I thought only 1 crew rest seat was normally reserved (not counting the bunk beds up front in the A330-200).

If the other passengers seated in F are there from mileage upgrades, complimentary upgrades or free Y->A upgrades, then you may be the last to be IDB'd. Let us know how this shakes out.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:40 am

PHL is right, as an A fare, you should be pretty safe, as only F fares would be under you in the pecking order at this point. Are you a DM member and is your son a DM member? If so, the non DM A fares will get downgraded before you.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phllax
PHL is right, as an A fare, you should be pretty safe, as only F fares would be under you in the pecking order at this point. Are you a DM member and is your son a DM member? If so, the non DM A fares will get downgraded before you.
im a dm member. he is not (he's 3)

When I was speaking to inventory control, they did mention quickly a possibly govt employee (read between the lines FAM). so maybe 1 crew rest (still up for grabs) and a FAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.