Ignored Upgrade Lists at the Gate (consolidated thread)

Old Feb 11, 15, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Ignored Upgrade Lists at the Gate (consolidated thread)

I am in seat 1F today on US873 CLT - ATL. After boarding door closed 1D was vacant. Six people on upgrade list. They pulled a flight attendant from coach to take the seat instead of BOC, T.

Photo proof
- upgrade list after door closed
- empty seat
- seat with flight attendant now occupying it and my boarding pass

http://imgur.com/vBmPCk6
http://imgur.com/sBvesv6
http://imgur.com/HP76VvF

Last edited by beofotch; Feb 11, 15 at 3:23 pm
Old Feb 11, 15, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What did Customer Relations say when you sent them the info?
Old Feb 12, 15, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
What did Customer Relations say when you sent them the info?
Awaiting a response now. I will keep the crew here posted.
Old Feb 12, 15, 11:13 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Confirmed SHENA - 2015 onwards

The only way this problem (which doesn't seem widespread like on other airlines) is to get enough attention at the top that they make a clear directive to the agents that this is completely unacceptable.

In your case it sounds like they hid the whole transaction from the system by deliberately not processing the upgrade list and instead just moving the passenger up after the door closed with no electronic paper trail. That seems risky given that many frequent travelers are aware of the outstanding upgrade requests and empty seats...especially if their name is at the top of the list.
Old Feb 12, 15, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Gate Agents in PHL ignore upgrade list

Was on US4566 tonight from PHL-LGA, about half full flight but of the 8 seats in F only 2 went out occupied. While in practice I don't care about not being upgraded on such a short flight but the issue is there was 3 people including myself on the upgrade list (as confirmed by the gate agent in LGA) but the gate agents in PHL overlooked the list and just boarded people in their ticketed cabins.

Like I said I don't care on such a short flight but I hope this isn't a common issue at PHL or with US Upgrades in general
Old Feb 12, 15, 10:01 pm

Notorious problem in PHL. It's happened to me on multiple occasions.
Old Feb 13, 15, 5:34 am

Programs: AA - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Did you ask the GA in PHL about processing upgrades before boarding? Always good to make sure you let the GA know that you know you are expecting the list to be cleared if you are in a position where you expect the UG (say, 3rd on the list and 6 seats available).

Also, this is something you should report to US customer service.
Old Feb 13, 15, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
It's another reason getting modern gate displays might bring other changes - the upgrade list will eventually be broadcast to the gate area (if anyone is paying attention) instead of the relatively few that know about the lists online.
Old Feb 13, 15, 9:03 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt View Post
Did you ask the GA in PHL about processing upgrades before boarding? Always good to make sure you let the GA know that you know you are expecting the list to be cleared if you are in a position where you expect the UG (say, 3rd on the list and 6 seats available).

Also, this is something you should report to US customer service.
I didn't check the F loading a before boarding but I asked the GA in PHL who said F was full. I should know better but I took her word for it. On board I realized F only had 2 occupied seats. GA in LGA confirmed not a single upgrade was processed in PHL.
Old Feb 16, 15, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
In my experience, US is terrible at processing gate upgrades. This morning, I was on GSO-CLT, we boarded, and about 2 minutes before closing the door, they come back and tell me I have been upgraded. I am in row 12, and there is no room in F for my carry-on, so I declined (20 minute flight). They gave it to #2 on the list. I have had this happen to me many times over the years. Why can't they process upgrades BEFORE boarding so I can get my bag in the right cabin? I see this happen every week on nearly every flight (not just to me).

Hopefully they will implement some of AA's technology soon (i.e. monitors showing upgrade list, automatic upgrades at gate)
Old Feb 16, 15, 5:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
The only way this problem (which doesn't seem widespread like on other airlines) is to get enough attention at the top that they make a clear directive to the agents that this is completely unacceptable.
I agree that the issues should be raised at the top. (Agreed in that just raising the issues with regular US customer service does no good.)

I have seen gate agents (at GSP) process standbys for other crew members (who seem remarkably friendly with the gate agents, as if they're already good friends) and let planes take off with empty seats, while the standby list has plenty of revenue customers on it (who aren't processed).

And when I raised the issue with US customer service, giving details about what happened, the letter that I got back indicated that the person in customer service had no idea about what US's standby policies are. (The letter included generic language, basically copied from US's website, stating that you can move up to an earlier flight for $75 or go standby if a seat cannot be confirmed.)

Thus raising these issues with regular customer service may do no good at all.
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I had a similar issue last year in CLT. I asked about the UG (I was #1 on the list with 1 seat open at the end of boarding [1 person not checked in]). GA told me they have no control over upgrades and the computer does it everything on their own. I was rudely told I had to take the seat on my BP if I was getting on the flight. I complained to US and was basically told "Sorry, we'll try to prevent this in the future."

I had this on AA when the agent refused to UG me as a US CHM. Seats went out empty. A complaint to AA and I got a $100 travel voucher and a promise they would re-train the GA.
Old Feb 25, 15, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

More today us1999 ATL-CLT 15/16 in F boarded as boarding door closed they brought a pilot to 3D instead of #1 on upgrade list

pic one
pic two
Old Feb 25, 15, 2:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
More today us1999 ATL-CLT 15/16 in F boarded as boarding door closed they brought a pilot to 3D instead of #1 on upgrade list

pic one
pic two
Please send this in to US Airways so that they know it is happening. It may end up in the trash, but maybe someone who cares will take a look at it and do something, especially if they get enough of these.
Old Feb 25, 15, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I did the first time and got a canned response. I'll reply to that response with this instance and note it is happening again and I will continue responding to the email contact thread with other instances I come across and let them know each time I bring this to their attention I'll anticipate a similar canned response and acknowledgement. I'll see how many I can collect!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: