FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways BofA Visa to Barclays US Airways MC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1648534-us-airways-bofa-visa-barclays-us-airways-mc.html)

PlatDrew Jan 22, 2015 4:32 pm

US Airways BofA Visa to Barclays US Airways MC

I think I'm in a huge minority here, but I was a US Airways BofA Visa customer til the end. I just received my Barclays card and its a World MasterCard. Was hoping for a PREMIER World. Is anyone else in my boat?

ffflllyyyeeerrr Jan 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by PlatDrew (Post 24216618)
I think I'm in a huge minority here, but I was a US Airways BofA Visa customer til the end. I just received my Barclays card and its a World MasterCard. Was hoping for a PREMIER World. Is anyone else in my boat?

The "premier" designation is simply a Barclays branding. The MasterCard levels are MasterCard, World MasterCard, and World Elite MasterCard.

SYRRDU Jan 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by PlatDrew (Post 24216618)

Typical USAir crap... Was CP for several years and got the BoA Signature card in the 90's. Now with the merger they sent me the MC and it doesn't even compare as a product. I have only kept it for Zone 2 boarding, since US/AA only get about 30K miles from me per year. I called BoA and cancelled it, on Monday I'll cancel the MC. US Customer service ran me off years ago and US lost 150+K /yr. This merger will now run me from spending/flying the 30K/yr.

PlatDrew Jan 24, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks guys. After more research it seems that within a few months I will be converted once again to an AA card once the merger between the FF programs takes place.

PlatDrew Jan 25, 2015 3:10 am

Originally Posted by SYRRDU (Post 24223850)
Typical USAir crap... Was CP for several years and got the BoA Signature card in the 90's. Now with the merger they sent me the MC and it doesn't even compare as a product. I have only kept it for Zone 2 boarding, since US/AA only get about 30K miles from me per year. I called BoA and cancelled it, on Monday I'll cancel the MC. US Customer service ran me off years ago and US lost 150+K /yr. This merger will now run me from spending/flying the 30K/yr.

I don't even fly US or AA. I've wanted to cancel the card myself but it was my first credit card with 10+ years of history. I'm afraid it will scar my credit report. The topper here is that bofa charged me a $90 annual fee then sent me off to Barclays 7 days later!!

ajfitz Jan 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Me too :-(

I was one of the few BoA Visa holders. I already have the Barclay's World Elite mastercard - so there was no point in have 2 US Airways Mastercards.

I called Barclays to have them avoid doing this and they were of no help. I was transferred between 4 agents - none of whom understood what was happening.

I transferred my balance from the BoA Visa to the original mastercard and will close the new account without activating the card.

Truly unbelievable that they don't see that I already had a World Elite card. Horrid service. I'm thinking of moving to the Citi Card and applying for a Visa that also offers rewards.

mkole Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ajfitz (Post 24232785)
I transferred my balance from the BoA Visa to the original mastercard and will close the new account without activating the card.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting a final Companion Certificate in February. Those certs have always been worth a few hundred dollars each for me. Keeping in mind that the Ticket obtained with the cert has to be purchased with that credit card, probably a good idea to not cancel until after I've used up the cert. After that -- probably no point in keeping two Barclays MC plus a Citi AA -- especially with no more PQM for spend, club pass and certs.

Maybe we'll be able to convert to Barclays Aviator later in the year.

aglasgow Jan 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Original BofA US card holder here. Applied with Barclay's years ago for the Barclay World Elite and got the bonus. Did not want to close because of Average age of accounts ding on credit report so we requested a "product change" to the Barclay's Reward card (2% cash back in certain categories) with no annual fee. Supposedly there was no hard pull and average age of accounts has been preserved. Still have another US Barclay with perpetual 10K bonus and...several American Airlines branded cards.

phlwookie Jan 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by aglasgow (Post 24237479)
Original BofA US card holder here. Applied with Barclay's years ago for the Barclay World Elite and got the bonus. Did not want to close because of Average age of accounts ding on credit report so we requested a "product change" to the Barclay's Reward card (2% cash back in certain categories) with no annual fee. Supposedly there was no hard pull and average age of accounts has been preserved. Still have another US Barclay with perpetual 10K bonus and...several American Airlines branded cards.

Interesting idea, thanks.

But Barclay's hasn't sent me a card yet. They didn't forget to send me an email today to activate the card I haven't received, though.