Wiki Posts
Search

Rats in CLT lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Talking Rats in CLT lounge

I'm in the lounge at CLT (the one between C and D&E terminals), sitting here, just trying to work and looking out of the window.

All of a sudden, I see something running but I don't catch what it is. A lady sitting in front of my jumps out of her sit saying it was a rat which two other people confirmed....

While not surprised, I'm a bit grossed out. Have you guys seen rodents here in the CLT lounge? Should we make them the airline pet/mascot?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:59 am

Have not seen rats in the C/D Club.

The Official US Airways mascot is the cockroach.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
It's good to see some new self-serve food options.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Nah, the official mascot of US Airways is an AA EXP sneering at a stemless wine glass.
That's helpful.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mbece
I'm in the lounge at CLT (the one between C and D&E terminals), sitting here, just trying to work and looking out of the window.

All of a sudden, I see something running but I don't catch what it is. A lady sitting in front of my jumps out of her sit saying it was a rat which two other people confirmed....

While not surprised, I'm a bit grossed out. Have you guys seen rodents here in the CLT lounge? Should we make them the airline pet/mascot?
Are you sure it wasn't another passenger's emotional support animal?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Are you sure it wasn't another passenger's emotional support animal?
I wasn't wearing my glasses, so my first thought when I saw it running was "oh nice, a puppy!"
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Rats in CLT lounge

Not in CLT. But I've seen mice in the PHL B/C club. Twice.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We're not accepting disruptive posts attacking AA or US flyers today - or any day. The FT Rules are pretty explicit; perhaps they're in need of rereading by some of us. I distinctly feel warnings very close by.

/Moderator
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by hginPHL
Now that you mention it, I think it's been a few years since I saw mice anywhere in PHL at all. The UA club had some occasionally too. The ones in the B/C club caused a bit of a ruckus here on FT when they were spotted.

I've seen cockroaches as recently as last month in DFW at D immigration hanging out by the Global Entry kiosk I was using, rats in LAS and LGA and a pair of scorpions many years ago in a SoCal airport - it was either ONT or PSP. Crickets also kept me awake at the UA ORD B gates when I was overnighting in the terminal during one of many long delays there, and there was a huge spider that I never identified, but steered well clear of not knowing the local species, at SHA (Shanghai Hongqiao).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:28 pm

Speaking of the PHL clubs, the local paper pulled together data from all the health inspections across the city. Including the b/c and f clubs at PHL (the a club is of course outside the city limits...)

Thankfully no mouse droppings in the most recent report...but alas there's just a little bit of "pink slime" in the ice machine...

http://data.inquirer.com/inspections...rant/R3178935/
http://data.inquirer.com/inspections...rant/R3718965/
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:35 pm

Location: Dallas, TX , formerly Wilmington, NC, hence ILMflyer
Programs: AA/WN/DL
During my 24 years of working in the airline industry, I've seen the eco-system that exist in airports; rats, mice, snakes, turtles and bats, not to mention various birds. Sometimes they make it inside the facility, but once inside it's hard to control. Snakes bother me the most. In at least two airports I remember snakes in the ticketing and baggage areas. They were more common in the outside baggage make up areas. Rats and mice were so common inside and outside the airport, I didn't give them much thought. They were gone before you knew it.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I tend to get worries when the rats and mice refuse to eat the food.

Personally I'm of the opinion that germs are good and kids should eat a little dirt. I like to exercise my immune system so that when something big hit the scene it remembers how to do its job. I always chuckle a little when I see people approach their seat on the plane and proceed to wipe it with antiseptic wipes. Makes me want to cough my way through the flight.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Over the years..

MIA - Many Rats in Customs and Immigrations, Ticket counter areas, Bag drop outside and MANY in the clubs on E concourse.

MSP - They used to have a problem everywhere. The last few years not as big a problem.

ATL- D concourse in the gate areas

LAX - Observed Rats in Term 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8

SFO - Old terminal (now gone)

SAN - Term 1 been a few years since observed

EYW - about 8 years ago they were common

Just my experience.. Part of the experience. Generally when they get bad the authorities get shamed and pest control professionals bring it under control where it is not obviously a problem!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
We have a saying in Philly:
There are two types of houses. The ones with mice, and the ones with cats.

Being right next to the river, as PHL is located, is especially bad (West Philly is just as bad but for different reasons). Right after any significant precipitation, the mice were prevalent at International Plaza - the building next door (and I used to work there).

Also, after reading the report linked upthread, I am no longer getting ice in my drinks at B/C.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by hginPHL
I had a sighting in the PHL F Club once. The little bugger was FAST!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.