Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Express Flight Loses Part of Rudder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Exclamation US Airways Express Flight Loses Part of Rudder

A US Airways Express flight from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport to El Paso had to turn around and return to the airport Monday afternoon.

A spokesperson for the airline said AA Flight 5348 was en route to El Paso International Airport when part of the rudder was reported to have fallen off the plane, forcing the pilot of the regional jet to turn around.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ame...287550151.html
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:55 pm

Just read this...
Wow...close call. Sounds very similar to AS261, but obviously with a much better outcome. Very close call though. If they went back to the gate like in the picture, it must not have been too serious...but still
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Mesa CR9. It returned relatively quickly:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...745Z/KDFW/KELP

The update to the local NBC affiliate makes it sound less serious than the initial "part of the rudder fell off" report but I guess time shall tell.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Appears to have been operating as American Eagle by Mesa with US Airways Livery.

Look at the left part of the rudder. Part is missing when compared to the right side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.