Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

PHL-SFO nonstop made stop in Kansas City for refueling, then let an employee off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-SFO nonstop made stop in Kansas City for refueling, then let an employee off

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by phisher4
So, I guess the question is: should an airline be responsible for providing more than enough fuel to arrive at a destination safely in any weather condition?

And if the equipment cannot carry adequate fuel, should the airline be required to employ equipment that can routinely make it to the destination safely without making fuel stops?

I personally would prefer the answers to be "YES" to both questions, and would appreciate some small allowance due to inconvenience if the airline falls short. But alas, profit trumps all, and airline consolidation makes it difficult to have real choices, so we have to put up it. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Another proposed solution would be to retrofit all US metal with in-flight refueling capability...
Considering how rare this is and how 160-200mph headwinds are rare I would consider this a reasonable anomaly. I doubt that most FTers would be wiling to pay the fares required to make A330/777/767 widebodies the norm on every transcon/near transcon flight.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: WFBF
Worth pointing out that if you were going the other direction, you'd be pleasantly surprised to arrive early at PHL, and not complaining at all
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Sitting in PHL currently, just heard an announcement for US 729 PHL-SEA that it's stopping in MCI tonight. Rough week with the winds, but at least they're letting the passengers know early to try and speed up boarding/get out of here early.
Ouch. You sat on that plane for nearly 8 hours.

http://flights.usairways.com/FlightS...ate=2015-01-05
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ocial-facebook

Then we see some record flight times Eastbound.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So OP would have preferred to land at SFO with only 9 minutes of fuel left in the tanks?

Write a note to US Airways and tell them to stop being such wusses about safety.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ocial-facebook

Then we see some record flight times Eastbound.
That would suck if flying in J. Not enough time to enjoy the pampering.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
So why use MCI ? Wouldn't the object be to fly the extra fuel for the least amount of time, while avoiding airports with the highest landing fees & congestion? Seems like you'd want to fly as far west as you could, say SLC or RNO....

For lighter traffic airports, I think I'd offer a different landing fee schedule for "refuel only" stops....could be a little extra revenue for them.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Okto
That would suck if flying in J. Not enough time to enjoy the pampering.
Happened to me last weekend. JFK-CDG in J, by the time the dinner service was over, we only had about 3.5 hours left. Flight time was 5h50.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by joeyE
So why use MCI ? Wouldn't the object be to fly the extra fuel for the least amount of time, while avoiding airports with the highest landing fees & congestion? Seems like you'd want to fly as far west as you could, say SLC or RNO....
If you know you're going to have to stop one time it's best to try to minimize the takeoff weight of both flights. That way you're hauling the lowest permitted amount of fuel weight during each of the two legs. A plane burns more fuel while it's hauling the large quantity of fuel needed to go greater distances, so going all the way to RNO could cost more than stopping at MCI.

Ideally, you'd look look to stop at an airport roughly in the middle of the great circle between PHL and SFO. Of course there are other factors like local weather, landing fees, local fuel costs, ground crew availability, etc. These factors will tend to skew the route and fuel stop planning so they are likely what made MCI a good choice.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by joeyE

For lighter traffic airports, I think I'd offer a different landing fee schedule for "refuel only" stops....could be a little extra revenue for them.
MCI is a good location; it's relatively central, it's under or close to under many of the transcon routes, it can handle aircraft of almost any size, and it has a large former AA (ex-TWA) maintenance base on-site.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by able
A cabin door must be open and available as an exit (jet bridge or air stairs) during refueling.

If the airline really needed to deadhead a pilot to Kansas there were much cheaper ways of doing it than scheduling an unnecessary stop.
Weird - I stopped in ABQ last summer on an IAD-SFO flight that was routed very far south (over the Gulf of Mexico) due to a line of thunderstorms in the midwest. I really don't remember pulling up to the gate or being allowed to be let off, but maybe my memory is escaping me. Anyone else remember a refueling stop where this didn't happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.