FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New First Class Meal Improvements - Starting November 18th (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1628653-new-first-class-meal-improvements-starting-november-18th.html)

CO777 Nov 14, 2014 11:37 am

New First Class Meal Improvements - Starting November 18th

Just got an email from US Airways about improvements to First Class meals on US and American:

Here are a few improvements we're making to meals in First Class on US Airways and American flights within the United States, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean starting November 18:

-More meals on more flights: We'll offer you a full meal with your choice of entrée on all flights approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes or longer

-Warm mixed nuts – an American favorite: We'll introduce warm mixed nuts on all flights longer than approximately 2 hours

-Upgraded Lite Bites basket: We'll improve our Lite Bites basket on flights less than approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes to include a better selection of sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads, snacks and more

-Signature made-to-order sundaes: Now, we'll offer ice cream on flights approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes or longer, and for flights approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes or longer, you can enjoy American's signature made-to-order sundaes

-Beginning December 1, we'll extend the time we serve breakfast from 9:00 AM to 9:45 AM, making sure you receive the most important meal of the day when you expect it.

SeatOfMyPants Nov 19, 2014 11:29 am

There must've been a lot of complaints the last few months.

jpolen Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Just flew CLT to IAH today, confirmation said lunch would be served. It was not, just the wicker basket of snacks. FA's new nothing about the new program. Called US several times, no one knows why no meal.

GotCalcio4 Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

Originally Posted by jpolen (Post 23874587)
Just flew CLT to IAH today, confirmation said lunch would be served. It was not, just the wicker basket of snacks. FA's new nothing about the new program. Called US several times, no one knows why no meal.

Maybe the meals were catered but the FA just didn't serve them because they didn't know about the changes.

skitch23 Jun 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I can't find the thread I'm looking for, so I'll just post here...

I'm looking at booking a US Metal flight BWI-PHX in F. The schedule says it departs at 8:05pm and according to the website, the dinner cutoff time is 8pm. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on whether or not you get a full meal on this flight (or any other transcon with a similar departure time)? The duration is 4h47m, so I'd think they'd give people more than just a snack basket. And yes, I realize airplane food mostly sucks... I'm just limited on options for award flights home so I'm hoping to get more value out of my 25k miles :)

ibrandsguest Jun 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Click on the flight number for the flight, when you're on the screen that shows the various flights and times. It says that the meal is "Refreshments". The flight before it has "Dinner".

Sorry.

JDiver Jun 29, 2015 11:12 am

This can't happen soon enough!

And as of October, we should all be able to see and select our meals on,ine within thirty days of flying.

GotCalcio4 Jun 29, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 25040566)
I can't find the thread I'm looking for, so I'll just post here...

I'm looking at booking a US Metal flight BWI-PHX in F. The schedule says it departs at 8:05pm and according to the website, the dinner cutoff time is 8pm. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on whether or not you get a full meal on this flight (or any other transcon with a similar departure time)? The duration is 4h47m, so I'd think they'd give people more than just a snack basket. And yes, I realize airplane food mostly sucks... I'm just limited on options for award flights home so I'm hoping to get more value out of my 25k miles :)

The following is the rule for post 8pm US flights headed westbound: When departing from PHL or CLT and headed west, the flight gets a full dinner service. Any other outstation to PHX or LAS only gets the snack basket (which I believe has now been changed to warm nuts and cookie service only). If meal service is important to you on these later flights, take the quick hop up to PHL first.

I've also seen reports that even flights from PMAA hubs like MIA to PHX don't get meals after 8pm either.

T/BE20/G Jun 30, 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4 (Post 25045123)
The following is the rule for post 8pm US flights headed westbound: When departing from PHL or CLT and headed west, the flight gets a full dinner service. Any other outstation to PHX or LAS only gets the snack basket (which I believe has now been changed to warm nuts and cookie service only). If meal service is important to you on these later flights, take the quick hop up to PHL first.

I've also seen reports that even flights from PMAA hubs like MIA to PHX don't get meals after 8pm either.

I could be wrong, but I think a more accurate statement would be the flights that go all the way to the west coast get dinner even if they depart the east coast in a late bank. AZ is not on the west coast, so post-8pm flights to PHX don't get dinner, whether they depart from PHL, CLT, BWI, MIA, or elsewhere. Flights from the east coast to CA, however, do get dinner after 8pm, without regard to the departure point. MIA-SAN gets dinner after 8pm, just as PHL-SAN does (when the late departure operates... I had dinner on a 20:55 departure).

GotCalcio4 Jun 30, 2015 11:11 am

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G (Post 25046953)
I could be wrong, but I think a more accurate statement would be the flights that go all the way to the west coast get dinner even if they depart the east coast in a late bank. AZ is not on the west coast, so post-8pm flights to PHX don't get dinner, whether they depart from PHL, CLT, BWI, MIA, or elsewhere. Flights from the east coast to CA, however, do get dinner after 8pm, without regard to the departure point. MIA-SAN gets dinner after 8pm, just as PHL-SAN does (when the late departure operates... I had dinner on a 20:55 departure).

I was just on flights from CLT-PHX/LAS about a month or two ago that did get a dinner and departed after 8pm. I wonder if this is consolidating/changing at some point?

rbourquin Jun 30, 2015 11:45 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4 (Post 25049231)
I was just on flights from CLT-PHX/LAS about a month or two ago that did get a dinner and departed after 8pm. I wonder if this is consolidating/changing at some point?

PHL and CLT to PHX have traditionally gotten a meal even if shortly after the meal window. Other east coast cities to PHX have not.

GotCalcio4 Jul 1, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by rbourquin (Post 25049405)
PHL and CLT to PHX have traditionally gotten a meal even if shortly after the meal window. Other east coast cities to PHX have not.

Which is exactly what I said above...