Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Can my 3 year old son apply for challenge for US Chairman Prefered and get SWUs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can my 3 year old son apply for challenge for US Chairman Prefered and get SWUs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold

Anybody has experience with registering a child for the challenge and bringing him/her on a mileage run to get US Chairman Prefered and recieve the SWUs?

One problem I foresee is using the child's account to buy tickets ( can a 3 year legally buy tickets ??? ) and use the SWUs?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
It does not matter who buys the tickets ... only that the passengers Dividend Miles number is in the reservation before the flight goes out.

Plenty of reports on the board of USAirways Dividend Miles members at very tendere ages, including less than three years-old.

Put these two together and you may have a plan.

But double-check whether or not the challenge has to be done on USAirways flights, or whether American flights count, too. I am not up on this, but until recently it had to be on USAirways metal only. Because from Singapore, you either have a great opportunity ... or a real problem.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
It does not matter who buys the tickets ... only that the passengers Dividend Miles number is in the reservation before the flight goes out.

Plenty of reports on the board of USAirways Dividend Miles members at very tendere ages, including less than three years-old.

Put these two together and you may have a plan.

But double-check whether or not the challenge has to be done on USAirways flights, or whether American flights count, too. I am not up on this, but until recently it had to be on USAirways metal only. Because from Singapore, you either have a great opportunity ... or a real problem.
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...rred.html?re=1

Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Thanks for the replies. Hoping to do HKG-DFW-EWR return on AA for USD$914 twice in coach ( yikes ).

Any better CPM routing from HKG or anything I can do in 1 single routing for 30k miles on AA ?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planetshakers
Thanks for the replies. Hoping to do HKG-DFW-EWR return on AA for USD$914 twice in coach ( yikes ).

Any better CPM routing from HKG or anything I can do in 1 single routing for 30k miles on AA ?
You're planning to take a three year old on SIN-HKG-DFW-EWR-DFW-HKG-DFW-EWR-DFW-HKG-SIN, all in one go?

I'd be worried about other things than CPM, like how your child reacts to 15 hour plane flights (if you don't know that already). MRing that flight is bad enough. Can't imagine doing it with an unhappy child. I don't think a billion SWUs would be enough for me to do that.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're planning to take a three year old on SIN-HKG-DFW-EWR-DFW-HKG-DFW-EWR-DFW-HKG-SIN, all in one go?

I'd be worried about other things than CPM, like how your child reacts to 15 hour plane flights (if you don't know that already). MRing that flight is bad enough. Can't imagine doing it with an unhappy child. I don't think a billion SWUs would be enough for me to do that.
Ever see the Lucy episode where she tries to smuggle an Italian cheese in pretending it is a baby? Guess one alternative is to take a baby doll posing as a child to qualify (LOL)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Thanks for the advice, my son is well traveled and he does well on flights as long as he is entertained and fed, although the longest stretch was only 8 hours. It won't be a true MR as I will be staying some nights in HKG and EWR.

Any advice if this is the best CPM to go from HKG on AA?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planetshakers
Thanks for the advice, my son is well traveled and he does well on flights as long as he is entertained and fed, although the longest stretch was only 8 hours. It won't be a true MR as I will be staying some nights in HKG and EWR.

Any advice if this is the best CPM to go from HKG on AA?
That sounds better I suppose, though that DFW-HKG/HKG-DFW flight is brutal- 16 hours westbound, 14 east (so about double what your kid is used to). Add in 3 hours to/from EWR and any connection time and you're looking at a day of travel each way. I'd be sure to add in time to recoup from jet lag on both ends.

I doubt you'll get much better CPM. There's a fare involving CGK that's about the same to ORD (would that work for you?). Hope it works out for you and your kid (and fellow passengers).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
CGK is about the best. Every once in a while, departures from JHB or KUL can also give a great result, CPM-wise. But all of those have drawbacks in that a much longer segment is on partners (making the challenge less easily accomplished, as well as removing MCE from the equation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.