Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B class to Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

B class to Amsterdam

I was looking for a BC ticket on US air web site to Ams. Among the choices at the same price were US metal with a connection through Philly or a connection through Chicago with trip to Ams on BA on a 747 with short layover in London.

I have never flown either in business Class. The connection through Chicago gets me to AMS about three hours later but that is no big deal .

Both were priced at about 60% of Delta price. What are pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
IIRC US uses a 757-200 on PHL-AMS, which in business is just an angle flat seat. Whereas BAs 744 are full flat bed.

Comparison photos (photos not mine):

US 752:

BA 744:
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I did PHL-AMS last year on US. Its business-class offering on the 757 is horrible compared to just about any other carrier's overseas business class. Food was horrible, too.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:23 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
US 757 is not even angle lie flat. It's a 160 degree reclining chair with leg rest and foot rest. If US(AA) keeps these around longer, then they could be refurbished to at least match the AA 75L fleet with angled lie flat. Or they could let them wither away and retire them. Nothing has been mentioned about the future plans for these.

The above pic of a BA 744 is inaccurate. BA 744 has 2x4x2 seating. The pic looks like 1x4x1.

If it were me, I'd rather get to AMS quicker and more direct which the PHL option does.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by PHL
The above pic of a BA 744 is inaccurate. BA 744 has 2x4x2 seating. The pic looks like 1x4x1.
BA nests its business class seats so that some face forwards and some face backwards. The window seats face backwards. If you look closely, you will see the window seats on either side of the plane "hidden" behind the aisle seats.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the connection at ORD would require a terminal change from T3 to T5. There is an airside shuttle at G17 and K20 but it is said to be poorly marked.

Also, if the OP is booked on BA 296 (which I doubt is the case if the connection through ORD/LHR results only in a three-hour delay), it is a sleeper service, for which you would eat in the lounge and there is limited service on board in Club World. I like the sleeper service on BA because I prefer more time to sleep on an overnight flight and would rather have a proper dinner in the lounge, but others may want to eat in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.