Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old US Airways Clubs in CLT D & E?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Old US Airways Clubs in CLT D & E?

I was talking with a gentleman sitting next to me on a flight out of CLT earlier this week. He was commenting how far of a walk it was from the C/D US Club to the end of the E gates (I don't think its bad, but to each his own). Anyway, he mentioned that years ago, 1990's into the early 2000's, that US Airways had clubs in D and E in addition to the current C/D and B clubs. I was still in high school in the early 2000's, so it was well before I started flying regularly, and at that, I had never been through CLT until many years later.

So, is this true? Did US have clubs in D and E at one time? If so, where were they and when did they close? I can't imagine they would have a D club with the current C/D club so close to the D concourse anyway. Does anyone recall these clubs?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I remember seeing the D Club, but at the time didn't have access so never went inside. It was somewhere near gates D2 and 4- believe it may now have become that food court, but maybe I'm mistaken. As far as I recall, I don't remember there being an E Club, but I may be wrong....
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:43 pm

There was a club on D, but not on E

There was a club on concourse D, which I am also pretty sure is now the food court. The D club was closed in 2002 due to cost cutting. Here is an old terminal map which shows three US Airways Clubs at Charlotte:

http://web.archive.org/web/200008150...lguide/clt.htm

There was rumour that US Airways was going to convert the D club into an Envoy Lounge, when the Frankfurt and Paris flights started in the late 90s. Alas, due to 9/11, US Airways' bankcruptcy and cost cutting measures, we closed D and decided to consolidate everything in the clubs on B and C and D intersect.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
There was definitely a club in D. I don't recall one being further down in E. The D club was between D2 and D3, IIRC, and looked out on the ramp.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ACA321
I remember seeing the D Club, but at the time didn't have access so never went inside. It was somewhere near gates D2 and 4- believe it may now have become that food court, but maybe I'm mistaken. As far as I recall, I don't remember there being an E Club, but I may be wrong....
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
There was a club on concourse D, which I am also pretty sure is now the food court. The D club was closed in 2002 due to cost cutting. Here is an old terminal map which shows three US Airways Clubs at Charlotte:

http://web.archive.org/web/200008150...lguide/clt.htm

There was rumour that US Airways was going to convert the D club into an Envoy Lounge, when the Frankfurt and Paris flights started in the late 90s. Alas, due to 9/11, US Airways' bankcruptcy and cost cutting measures, we closed D and decided to consolidate everything in the clubs on B and C and D intersect.
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
There was definitely a club in D. I don't recall one being further down in E. The D club was between D2 and D3, IIRC, and looked out on the ramp.
Thanks for the replies and info, now that it was mentioned, I could see a small club in that food court area over in D. Until now, I would have never guessed a club was once there. I am thinking he may have been wrong about E though since nobody seems to remember it.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Ironically, the D club was open when that was the end of the D concourse and there was no E terminal. I thought someone had said that it was being used as a crew room. However, since then, the C/D club was expanded including an entrance on the walkway towards the D gates and E extension (which is probably 50 feet away from where the entrance to the D club was).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:56 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
The former club was near the D/E connector. Recall that before E opened, Concourse D was two levels. D1-5 was on the second level and was the international concourse, while D6-20 was on the ground floor and was the commuter concourse. I believe the club is still intact, and IIRC, Mesa uses it as a crew room.

There was talk of LH and US jointly operating a CLT international business lounge, but it never came to fruition because of the merger.

If LH is as committed to CLT as they say they are, I could see them opening up a Senator lounge in CLT in the near future.

The only lounge that was in the food court was a British Airways Terraces lounge, which closed in 2002 when BA left. It is now a USO lounge. If you walk into the USO lounge, you can easily tell it used to be a BA terrace lounge because of glass décor and wood and cherry wall paneling. A friend of mine has a "Waves of the City" Ethnic tailfin panel that he acquired when the club closed.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:37 am

The club area on D may be intact, but Mesa no longer uses it as a crew room (Have been in a room on E for several years now). Airways/American and Lufthansa may be waiting to see what happens in a longer term for a newer international terminal before adding or opening another lounge.

There are no lounges on E currently, and as far as I know, there is no real space to house one. There is construction behind the food establishment at the central hub for E, but I don't know what it might be for)
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CLTmech
The club area on D may be intact, but Mesa no longer uses it as a crew room (Have been in a room on E for several years now). Airways/American and Lufthansa may be waiting to see what happens in a longer term for a newer international terminal before adding or opening another lounge.

There are no lounges on E currently, and as far as I know, there is no real space to house one. There is construction behind the food establishment at the central hub for E, but I don't know what it might be for)
The D club is now a food court and no longer intact. When you walk by, you would have no idea that one was ever there. It sat empty until 2008-9. From then until 2011 or so, it was used as a Mesa crew room and still had the dark wood exterior at the entrance that is characteristic of the other clubs, similar to other closed ones like those in PBI, MCO, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:22 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I highly doubt another club will be built at CLT. If one does get built, I am willing to bet it will be in E, in some way, shape, or form.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by CLT
I highly doubt another club will be built at CLT. If one does get built, I am willing to bet it will be in E, in some way, shape, or form.
That's certainly where the need is. Not sure where they'd put it though unless they built it as a second level above the food court at the "Y" junction where the two halls of the E concourse meet.

Originally Posted by CLT
If LH is as committed to CLT as they say they are, I could see them opening up a Senator lounge in CLT in the near future.
I don't know, for one MUC flight a day? Would seem cheaper for them to just keep contracting with the US lounges.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CLT
The former club was near the D/E connector. Recall that before E opened, Concourse D was two levels. D1-5 was on the second level and was the international concourse, while D6-20 was on the ground floor and was the commuter concourse. I believe the club is still intact, and IIRC, Mesa uses it as a crew room.

There was talk of LH and US jointly operating a CLT international business lounge, but it never came to fruition because of the merger.

The only lounge that was in the food court was a British Airways Terraces lounge, which closed in 2002 when BA left. It is now a USO lounge. If you walk into the USO lounge, you can easily tell it used to be a BA terrace lounge because of glass décor and wood and cherry wall paneling. A friend of mine has a "Waves of the City" Ethnic tailfin panel that he acquired when the club closed.
I think the "food court" that is being referenced here is the small area between D2 and D3 that currently has the Pinkberry, the Sushi place, and I think one other eatery - not the main foodcourt in the B-C atrium where the USO lounge is and where you're saying the BA lounge was.

In terms of an E club, I'd love to see one - I've always thought they could do something with a second level in the center of the terminal (where all three "spokes" meet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.